A-League 2023/24 A-League Men Grand Final Thread - Central Coast Mariners V Melbourne Victory

A-League

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Victory,Napoli,Liverpool,Penguins
Another unique A-League Grand Final is upon us as the Mariners get to host the Grand Final for the first time in Gosford. It's arguably the smallest club up against the biggest club in the competition. For the Mariners not only a chance to go Back to Back but to also make history and win a treble of trophies with the Championship to go along with the Premiers Plate and the AFC Cup trophies. For Victory making their 7th Grand Final a chance to equal Sydney FC's five championships and to come home with another heist as they did in the Hunter six years ago.

2023/24 A-League Men Grand Final

ccm.png

V

Melbourne_Victory_FINAL.jpg

Date: Saturday 25th May 2024
Time: 7:45pm EST
Venue: Industree Group Stadium, Gosford
TV Broadcasting: Live on Channel 10, 10HD (Check local guides)
Streaming
: Live on 10 Play and Paramount Plus

Prediction: The Mariners have had an amazing run since losing their first four matches of the season rising all the way to the Premiers Plate and have been undefeated in their past 7 matches the only thing against them is the amount of travel and matches they have played the last six weeks but I'm sure one more match isn't gonna worry them considering the form they have been in. As for Victory well a some what frustrating season with patchy good form in bursts has lead them to a Grand Final. But with an impressive Semi-Final win in Wellington its sure to give them a massive boost that they can do the some in Gosford. In the end I feel the Mariners will be to good, they are seriously a well compact and structured team against Victory who are vulnerable at the back but look out for their attack! Fornaroli is sure to hit some form as he’s been quiet this finals series will he strike in the Grand Final? The safe bet for me is a 2-1 win to the Mariners.

Was it really wise playing this match in Gosford? Victory allocation snapped up almost immediately. Reckon we would bring around 6-8k if the game were held at Allianz. And it sounds like CCM fans would definitely make the trip to Allianz so not sure why the GF wasn't played there as it looks like would have sold out.

Was it really wise playing this match in Gosford? Victory allocation snapped up almost immediately. Reckon we would bring around 6-8k if the game were held at Allianz. And it sounds like CCM fans would definitely make the trip to Allianz so not sure why the GF wasn't played there as it looks like would have sold out.
Its either the APL giving the middle finger to the fans for going against the Sydney Grand Final deal fans wanted home ground advantage in Grand Finals well here is the results even the Mariners get one! Could be the NSW gov saying deal broken unless it's one of our Sydney teams piss off! Or just plain APL incompetence thinking its the only way they'll get a sell out. Most likely the latter but don't discount the other two.

Its either the APL giving the middle finger to the fans for going against the Sydney Grand Final deal fans wanted home ground advantage in Grand Finals well here is the results even the Mariners get one! Could be the NSW gov saying deal broken unless it's one of our Sydney teams piss off! Or just plain APL incompetence thinking its the only way they'll get a sell out. Most likely the latter but don't discount the other two.

Are you telling me if WU won hosting rights they would have played it out at Tarneit :D:D:D

Considering Allianz is available on Saturday night I doubt there would have been an issue if the APL decided on that as the venue. For all we know they gave CCM the option of playing there if they were hosts but perhaps it wasn't expected Victory would make it (dodgy VAR penalty with no mic to explain). CCM said no thanks we'll play in Gosford and are now probably living to regret the choice. I don't know how easy it is to add temporary seating but surely that's been looked at right now by stadium management. Should be able to squeeze another 5k in this way with maybe another 2-3k standing.

Gosford made more sense if the 'Nix were playing. They would probably bring 1k max.

Are you telling me if WU won hosting rights they would have played it out at Tarneit :D:D:D
WU is from Melbourne so host City wins the Grand Final rights but nothing surprises me with The APL anymore, especially when WU's proper stadium is built I sure can see it happening.

WU is from Melbourne so host City wins the Grand Final rights but nothing surprises me with The APL anymore, especially when WU's proper stadium is built I sure can see it happening.

Gosford is pretty much Sydney. GF tickets even can be used to get free transport on Sydney trains!

WU is from Melbourne so host City wins the Grand Final rights but nothing surprise me with The APL anymore especially when their proper stadium is built I sure can see it happening.

WU is from Tarneit. Also represents Geelong/Ballarat. Actually I reckon if they won hosting right they could use Kardinia Park, job done.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gosford is pretty much Sydney. GF tickets even can be used to get free transport on Sydney trains!

They could have easily played the match in Sydney yes but they've obviously gone with the safe option of wanting a sellout! Like the APL cares about the fans you should know better than that Zidane.

They could have easily played the match in Sydney yes but they've obviously gone with the safe option of wanting a sellout! Like the APL cares about the fans you should know better than that Zidane.

It's up to the home team to nominate a venue from what I understand.

It's up to the home team to nominate a venue from what I understand.
In the past FFA could over rule that on capacity grounds obviously with the APL they felt wise to reward the Mariners with a home Grand Final. I'm still going with the safe sellout option through.

In the past FFA could over rule that on capacity grounds obviously with the APL they felt wise to reward the Mariners with a home Grand Final. I'm still going with the safe sellout option through.

There was a minimum criteria in the past, not sure if that's still the case now.

Jesus I had no idea this was happening I was trying to find out who won or when the awards night was happening until I came across this article, what morons are running this League? :rolleyes: and not to tell the Warren family that's just plain amateur hour.

Johnny Warren Medal awards night scrapped from football calendar, but nobody told his family​

The Johnny Warren Medal is awarded each year to the A-league Mens' best footballer. The medal, along with the Julie Dolan medal are usually given at the Warren-Dolan awards night in the lead up to A-league finals.

This year however - the APL chose to scrap the awards night - instead choosing to give out the medals at half-time during the A-League men's and Women's Grand finals.

The plans were arranged - however nobody told the Warren family - leaving them guessing as to why the night had been axed... and why they weren't told.
Lindsay McDougall spoke with Johnny's nephew and Jamberoo local Jamie Warren about the news.

click on the article for the audio interview with Johnny Warrens nephew.

Wasn’t gonna be to hard to sellout being in Gosford but APL got what they wanted the SOLDOUT sign!

And if it had been at Allianz and been half full people would be mocking them. Can't win.

Nah this is great for Gosford, it's a local club and they should do all they can to help their region. that sense of pride in place is something we don't really get in Australia, in any of the domestic codes, but they're giving back. surely every bed is just about taken for the night and the pubs'll be doing their best trade in years.

Unfortunately think they get done, Victory are absolute shitpricks and love jagging wins like this.

And if it had been at Allianz and been half full people would be mocking them. Can't win.

Would have sold out easily at Allianz. Victory allocation of 2k went almost instantly, we would have brought around 8-10k to Allianz.

Given that the entire ground sold out within 2 days of going on sale it wouldn't be surprising if the rest of the tickets were snapped up by Mariners fans and/or neutrals coming along for the experience.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back