News 2023 All Australian Team Named - Congrats Charlie

Remove this Banner Ad

Wilkie does not deserve his spot. He benefits from Ross Lyon's ultraflooding, double teaming. Doubt he has got anywhere near AA before this year.

That's silly.

You could easily argue that every player who has an elite season benefits from the gameplan put in place by their coach. May as well claim that Charlie doesn't deserve it because he benefits from our gameplan that pushes Harry up the ground and leaves Charlie one-out on quick transition.

End of the day, Wilkie played every game and lead the comp for total marks and total intercepts this season. Do I think he's a better player than Weiters? Nope. But I'm a Blues fan so that's to be expected. Did he have a better overall year than Weiters? Probably.

Stewart best defender in the comp by a fair margin. Can play short/tall, has pace, has the right amount of unsociability in him, beautiful skills and reader of play. Geelongs most important player for the last 5 or so years.

Weiters was always going to struggle, not "sexy" enough to get in before the media darling Moore.
I would’ve thought getting 6 goals kicked on you when you actually “defended” for the first time in the year eliminates you from the team 😁

Nah moore always deserved it they won 18 games and they deserved to have 3 All Australians in their team.

I’d take weiters tho

I don’t entirely disagree, but we as a club didn’t even nominate him… which is pretty incredible in itself.

I agree with you on the at the end of the day who cares, it’s really a nothing team, that’s picked by a very interesting collection of people.
I still think for the integrity of the idea of it, you’d want to be picking at least one defender in the side that is an actual out and out defender.
They’ve picked a midfielder that went at 50% disposal efficiency for the season…
So I’m less concerned with the few games where our system was cooked and more impressed by his defending as a result of it.

Anyway, we have bigger fish to fry this year for the first time in a decade, so I won’t let it get to me to much. But I’m sure Jacob would of loved the little AA bonus in his contract to help sure up his bank balance.
Those bonuses are counted in the cap right? Silver linings and all that.....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back