News 2023 All Australian Team Named - Congrats Charlie

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep if you based it on the last 10 weeks Weitering should be named.

But his first half of the year was really poor.
But it wasn't. Even when we were s**t teams couldn't score freely and game planned for him. Sure his offensive side was bad but why's that what people are judging a friggin defender in primarily.

His defensive form was good and then went to brilliant.

Think there is a bit of mayo on that comment I feel.
Up to round 16 he had lost 6 out of 55 one on one contests. 3 of which came in round 1.
So from round 2 onwards, he lost 3 one on one contests in 14 games... And he's the only defender in the AA squad that plays on the oppositions best tall forward weekly.

Not one of the back 6 they've named plays on the opponents best player, in fact, very few of them play on a player at all, but rely heavily on teammates to wrestle/block players like Charlie so the can float 3rd man up. All great players in their own right. But without Nathan Murphy, Josh Battle, SDK and co, wouldn't be half the player Weiters is.

At some point I just wish they would pick the best Full Back in the game to play in the Full Back role.

His kicking and decision making in general was not up to it in the first half of the season. That's why he missed out.

Who cares though, he's struck form and playing really well now when it counts. He'll def be even more pumped playing his first finals series too.

The fact Nick Newman wasn't even in the squad goes to show how dumb they are anyway.
I donā€™t entirely disagree, but we as a club didnā€™t even nominate himā€¦ which is pretty incredible in itself.
His kicking and decision making in general was not up to it in the first half of the season. That's why he missed out.

Who cares though, he's struck form and playing really well now when it counts. He'll def be even more pumped playing his first finals series too.
I agree with you on the at the end of the day who cares, itā€™s really a nothing team, thatā€™s picked by a very interesting collection of people.
I still think for the integrity of the idea of it, youā€™d want to be picking at least one defender in the side that is an actual out and out defender.
Theyā€™ve picked a midfielder that went at 50% disposal efficiency for the seasonā€¦
So Iā€™m less concerned with the few games where our system was cooked and more impressed by his defending as a result of it.

Anyway, we have bigger fish to fry this year for the first time in a decade, so I wonā€™t let it get to me to much. But Iā€™m sure Jacob would of loved the little AA bonus in his contract to help sure up his bank balance.

I donā€™t entirely disagree, but we as a club didnā€™t even nominate himā€¦ which is pretty incredible in itself.

I agree with you on the at the end of the day who cares, itā€™s really a nothing team, thatā€™s picked by a very interesting collection of people.
I still think for the integrity of the idea of it, youā€™d want to be picking at least one defender in the side that is an actual out and out defender.
Theyā€™ve picked a midfielder that went at 50% disposal efficiency for the seasonā€¦
So Iā€™m less concerned with the few games where our system was cooked and more impressed by his defending as a result of it.

Anyway, we have bigger fish to fry this year for the first time in a decade, so I wonā€™t let it get to me to much. But Iā€™m sure Jacob would of loved the little AA bonus in his contract to help sure up his bank balance.

Yeah I see your points. When I said how dumb they are I was referring to AA teams in general. I've never really cared too much for the concept. Sure the players themselves would love the recognition.

I'm almost certain the club would have helped Jacob out anyway.

But it wasn't. Even when we were s**t teams couldn't score freely and game planned for him. Sure his offensive side was bad but why's that what people are judging a friggin defender in primarily.

His defensive form was good and then went to brilliant.
totally agree. Past years players earned selection over a body of work, multiple years. And that kept Weitering out especially as a back....oh it's his turn soon. Then when THE year comes, it's a relative newcomer, from the saints, and Moore at CHB?

Weiters can't win. Except Friday

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

Actually think Wilkie deserved his spot.

He's low profile but had a helluva season.

I think Stewart is the worse selection.

I am a huge Stewart fan and think he's probably been the best KPB over the last 5-6 years. But he's been a bit off his best in 2023 and think he might have got in partly on name over performance this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Actually think Wilkie deserved his spot.

He's low profile but had a helluva season.

I think Stewart is the worse selection.

I am a huge Stewart fan and think he's probably been the best KPB over the last 5-6 years. But he's been a bit off his best in 2023 and think he might have got in partly on name over performance this year.
Stewart got exposed once their midfield was negated , particularly selwood retiring. He also clobbered a bloke and copped a big suspension. I still think it should have some bearing on final selection but that's my opinion only. Striking , head butting , severe impact penalties should exclude a player from selection I reckon

Weitering was absolutely lost during our poor spell. It was obvious his confidence was gone. It made total sense when he went public with being scammed why he had lost his way.

I was confident once he went public with what happened it was a way for him to move on. Very powerful facing up to the shame you are feeling and using your profile to help others hopefully not make the same mistake.

I think the fact he was so poor during that period made it reasonable he missed out. I am sure he is feeling pretty good about himself as he has dragged us into the finals with his brilliance the last 10 weeks.

Stewart getting another spot based on his reputation.
I donā€™t knowā€¦ Iā€™ve watched Geelong play live this year, and I think heā€™s a genius at knowing where to be.

I love Weitering and think heā€™s either the best or second best defender in the comp (a raffle with Stewart), but I donā€™t think he was worthy of All Australian honours this year. I thought he was stiffed a couple of years ago though.

I reckon heā€™s the sort of guy who is after team honours anyway.

Wilkie does not deserve his spot. He benefits from Ross Lyon's ultraflooding, double teaming. Doubt he has got anywhere near AA before this year.
Actually was in the AA squad last year so completely wrong.

The fact you think there isn't an out and out defender in the team is absolutely laughable, Wilkie might be the most pure out and out defender in the league. Can play on anyone and almost always beats his opponent, incredibly consistent.

Wietering is stiff but agree with one of the other posters in here, Stewart is the controversial pick, was picked on absolute reputation not performance this year.

Stewart for me is the weakest selection in the team. You could then arguably suggest Merrett was lucky but his selection can be justified when you look at his numbers. Beyond that, you can always mount a case for those who missed out, but in doing so, you can justify the inclusion of those players who were actually selected.

I don't mind Greene as captain. Yes, he's a grub at times, but that has not stopped winning individual accolades. As I posted elsewhere, Leigh Matthews is revered as an all time great and some say the greatest, but he was the purest of thugs and grubs.

Teams don't nominate the AA squad I don't think? You may be confusing with the MVP?
We nominated cerra, weitering and curnow for the mvp.

Pretty sure that the all australian selection panel just select who they think are in the best 22. Clubs dont nominate players.

Teams don't nominate the AA squad I don't think? You may be confusing with the MVP?
Cornes has come out and said the clubs need to nominate players, which is the reason he gave for Newman not being selected. If this is the case it sounds like a really flawed system. If a player is good enough, he should be selected end of story.

We nominated cerra, weitering and curnow for the mvp.

Pretty sure that the all australian selection panel just select who they think are in the best 22. Clubs dont nominate players.
they nominate the current media best players NOT the best 22, have as long as I can remember. it's why Cripps is in this year (when he probably wont be top 5 in our own BnF), why they constantly pick midfielders as HFF, wingers and HBF and 3-5 tall forwards.

they nominate the current media best players NOT the best 22, have as long as I can remember. it's why Cripps is in this year (when he probably wont be top 5 in our own BnF), why they constantly pick midfielders as HFF, wingers and HBF and 3-5 tall forwards.
I think that the argument started as that Newman wasn't in the AA squad because the club didn't nominate him.

To the best of my knowledge the AA selectors pick the squad and the team - no nominations from the club.

The MVP is the one where the club nominates players for best player, best captain and best first year player. In our case we nominated Curnow, Weitering and Cerra for best player, cripps for best captain and Hollands for best first year player. This then goes to the all players who vote (can't vote for anyone from your team).

The worst all Australian robbery Iā€™ve seen was Enright making it over Simmo. Wilkie taking a spot over both andrews and weiters is close

Remove this Banner Ad

Back