Fixture 2023 Fixture

Feb 11, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Falcons, Hawks, Braves
Thought I’d start this thread!

I’ve just read about the proposed extra round in 2023 - a NRL-style Magic Round concept where 9 matches are played in Sydney on the one weekend. A 23rd match for all teams. This came out of the blue …..

Interested in thoughts.

And what are we hoping for in the fixture overall?!

Thought I’d start this thread!

I’ve just read about the proposed extra round in 2023 - a NRL-style Magic Round concept where 9 matches are played in Sydney on the one weekend. A 23rd match for all teams. This came out of the blue …..

Interested in thoughts.

And what are we hoping for in the fixture overall?!
The AFL can't stand to be outdone by the NRL. Apart from that little bit of cynicism I've got an open mind on it...

What are the selling points (supposed benefits) of a "Magic Round"?
Will it be played in a different city every year?
What is the down-side?
Is the AFLPA on board with a longer season, or is it merely a replacement for pre-season games that are being ditched?

The more opportunity for playing every side twice (once at home, once away - or in Sydney) the fairer the comp will be. I presume this means we will play six sides twice next year, not the usual five sides.

Aside from discussion of the Magic Round gimmick, I'm expecting we'll be scheduled to play at Kardinia Park as usual (and Collingwood definitely won't, as usual) and that we'll probably double up against the cats too. That's not going to be good for us if they are going to be the team to beat again.

Not too worried about the rest of the fixture as long as it's along the lines of the usual mix - one away game in each of Qld, WA, SA & NSW. And one home game against the other side from each of those states.

fred cook

Premiership Player
Jan 14, 2005
brunswick
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
nnn
I would hope that we don’t have to play Geelong at Kitty park.

Ihope we play Hawthorn, Sydney, Colli gwood at home. West Coast away and Freo at home.

I hope we only play Collingwood once in the 2023 fixture so I only have to hear once from Adam Treloar how much he loves playing with Collingwood

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

_Cerberus_

Club Legend
Sep 30, 2022
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Since the 2010 AFL Season. Our double ups have been....
Also includes the season that we last double upped against that said team.

Seven Times
North (2021)

Six Times
Melbourne (2022)
West Coast (2021)

Five Times
Brisbane (2019)
Geelong (2022)
Sydney (2022)

Three Times
Collingwood (2019)
Essendon (2014)
Fremantle (2019)
Gold Coast (2021)
GWS (2022)
Hawthorn (2022)
Port Adelaide (2021)
St. Kilda (2016)

Two Times
Adelaide (2013)
Carlton (2019)
Richmond (2013)

Obviously it has been largely even spread out for the most part, minus the couple of outliers up top, and down the bottom.

Personally I have wanted us to double up vs Crows and Tigers for years now, it has been a fair while. Throw in Essendon and the Saints not to far off as well.

Going by the two top six teams, two middle six teams, and a single bottom six team fixture split. Which I think we are more likely to get than two bottom six teams. Collingwood, Brisbane, Tigers, Saints and Crows would be most ideal.

If Dunkley ends up at Brisbane, the AFL will 100% schedule both teams to play each other twice for sure. They love match ups like that to sell a few extra tickets.

I think we will see less Prime time games this season. The club has expressed the desire for more family friendly time slots. So likely to end up with a few Saturday more afternoon games, and Sunday games compared to this years fixture where we played a lot of late games.

Getting sick of North, Eagles, Cats and Demons all the time.

My wishlist

The first one is for selfish reasons

1.Both Bris and GC away in Qld so I can get to two games guaranteed

2. Geel once, at a Melbourne venue

3. Minimum 3 Away games at the G (Melb,Rich & Coll)

4. Double ups v Bris,, Rich, Coll, Melb, St'k, Adel.

5. WC Away, but not the week before we play Geelong on a 6 day break like seems to happen every year.

6. Ballarat games early in the season - v Port and would love to play Norf or Stk instead of GC / Adel there

Better mix of game times. Not too many Thursday nights as a loss ruins the whole weekend

Lex22

Club Legend
Jun 8, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
A lot more afternoon games in Melbourne. I prefer Saturday twilight or the early Sunday slot when attending. More in these areas.

No more than one Thursday (ideally none). Crap slot for members, I think more than 4-5 a year of them for the comp is overkill anyway.

One game against Geelong and it be played in Melbourne. We’re due for a year or 2 off from there surely.

More games at the MCG. As one of the smaller clubs that predicted to bevv BC thereabouts, surely it suits all parties if we play the MCG tenants away if possible?

Seven Times
North (2021)

Six Times
Melbourne (2022)
West Coast (2021)

Five Times
Brisbane (2019)
Geelong (2022)
Sydney (2022)

Three Times
Collingwood (2019)
Essendon (2014)
Fremantle (2019)
Gold Coast (2021)
GWS (2022)
Hawthorn (2022)
Port Adelaide (2021)
St. Kilda (2016)

Two Times
Adelaide (2013)
Carlton (2019)
Richmond (2013)

Obviously it has been largely even spread out for the most part, minus the couple of outliers up top, and down the bottom.

Personally I have wanted us to double up vs Crows and Tigers for years now, it has been a fair while. Throw in Essendon and the Saints not to far off as well.

Going by the two top six teams, two middle six teams, and a single bottom six team fixture split. Which I think we are more likely to get than two bottom six teams. Collingwood, Brisbane, Tigers, Saints and Crows would be most ideal.

If Dunkley ends up at Brisbane, the AFL will 100% schedule both teams to play each other twice for sure. They love match ups like that to sell a few extra tickets.

I think we will see less Prime time games this season. The club has expressed the desire for more family friendly time slots. So likely to end up with a few Saturday more afternoon games, and Sunday games compared to this years fixture where we played a lot of late games.

If we have 23 rounds (with the Magic Round) that means six double ups not five.

Sep 14, 2003
Williamstown
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
LA Angels, Maple Leafs
Double ups
  • Brisbane Lions - round 1 at Marvel, June/July school holidays at Gabba.
  • Gold Coast Suns
  • Richmond FC
  • St Kilda FC
  • Adelaide FC
  • Essendon FC

Magic Round
- Geelong FC at SCG

Home Games:
Brisbane Lions - Marvel
Gold Coast Suns - Mars
Richmond - Marvel
St Kilda - Marvel
Adelaide - Marvel
Essendon - Marvel
Collingwood - Marvel
Fremantle - Mars
Port Adelaide - Marvel
GWS - Marvel
Carlton - Marvel

Away Games:
Brisbane Lions - Gabba
Gold Coast Suns - Metricon
Richmond - MCG
St Kilda - Marvel
Adelaide - AO
Essendon - Marvel
Hawthorn - MCG
Melbourne - MCG
Sydney Swans - SCG
West Coast Eagles - Optus
North Melbourne - Good Friday

CarnTheScray

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 4, 2019
Ballarat
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Have heard it'll be Carlton -North Good Friday next year, so looks like we've lost it which is disappointing.
Sounds like a bullshit rumour but if it’s true, that is just disappointing.

Would be getting booted from a game that we have always won when participating and holds a Bulldogs majority in the crowd every time we play.

So being in the middle 6 we only get 2 double ups with the top 6 at most?

My wishlist is selfish at best but here's hoping

Prefer one of GC/Bris in Qld, although if we do draw Brisbane away please be earlier than when the Broncos start playing home games at The Gabba (better surface, for those unaware the Broncos have 3 home games at the Gabba with their usual home taken by the Women's World Cup). If it's a Gold Coast away game, 1st weekend of July (Marathon Weekend) with a TWILIGHT SATURDAY preference. Failing that a game in Cairns on the 15th of July (another Marathon weekend).

Bye round to be 2nd weekend of June (King's Birthday weekend, don't ask me to get used to it), and away interstate trip on the following Thursday Night OR Away game on the Sunday before the King's Birthday round.

Game in Melbourne on Good Friday or Easter Saturday. Again prefer Good Friday but anytime on the Saturday will do. Just NOT in Ballarat that weekend.

Plastics (GWS) in Canberra weekend after Easter in the Sunday Twilight slot (yes another Marathon weekend)

NOT playing Geelong at Geelong or either Hawks/North in Tasmania.

Sounds like a bullshit rumour but if it’s true, that is just disappointing.

Would be getting booted from a game that we have always won when participating and holds a Bulldogs majority in the crowd every time we play.
Hope its not true, was from a Carlton source so we will see.

Guarenteed - if we only have to play Geelong once, it will be down in sleepy hollow. Always is because they will never make Collingwood, Hawthorn, Carlton head down there and they need to play some Vic based teams at home (us, North, Saints, etc).

TiAn_

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 19, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Seven Times
North (2021)

Six Times
Melbourne (2022)
West Coast (2021)

Five Times
Brisbane (2019)
Geelong (2022)
Sydney (2022)

Three Times
Collingwood (2019)
Essendon (2014)
Fremantle (2019)
Gold Coast (2021)
GWS (2022)
Hawthorn (2022)
Port Adelaide (2021)
St. Kilda (2016)

Two Times
Adelaide (2013)
Carlton (2019)
Richmond (2013)

We’ve really been screwed not getting two games against the Bombers over the last 8 years when they’ve been at their most putrid.

Back