Preview 2023 Round 6 – GWS Giants vs Brisbane Lions, Saturday, April 22, 4.35PM AEST, Manuka Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

No word about Binga though.
Presumably his "managed" absence was just that & he's fine to return.

So, Green out the only enforced change. If Perryman is deemed fit, they'll probably bring him in (hopefully not prematurely!).

Binga back into the forward line: the options to replace would be Peatling (last in), Lloyd or Kennedy.

I'm still keen to get Fahey into the action, the option then would be to replace Hamilton. Debut in hometown Canberra would be a feel-good story, especially when the Tom Green Fanclub will be disappointed. Might be a case of pushing Whitfield onto the wing to put Fahey in his preferred HBF position.

Lastly, with a McInerny-Fort ruck pairing, I do think we need to employ a "horses for courses" ruck selection policy and partner Briggs with Flynn. How we do that I'm unsure. If Hogan actually needs a rest, then that's an option, but if not, I really don't want to drop Cadman to bring Briggs in. But I think that we'll be severely disadvantaged playing HH as the backup ruck.

I think we should prioritize solid ball use and pace. This is too many changes but….

Out
Kennedy, green, rowston, Hamilton
In
Bedford, Daniels, perryman, fehey (sub)

To add to the complexity of the discussion that is HH, I thought he did a very good job as second ruck on the weekend. He played off their ruck well, using his leap to advantage, and not letting them engage in a wrestle. And his follow up work is very sharp.
I’m happy for him to continue with this as part of his role at this stage.

To add to the complexity of the discussion that is HH, I thought he did a very good job as second ruck on the weekend. He played off their ruck well, using his leap to advantage, and not letting them engage in a wrestle. And his follow up work is very sharp.
I’m happy for him to continue with this as part of his role at this stage.
I think he goes very well as a second ruck

In- Brown, Fahey
Out- Kennedy, XOH

B Cumming Taylor Haynes
HB Fahey Buckley Ash
C Callaghan Coniglio Whitfield
HF Daniels Cadman Himmleberg
F Lloyd Hogan Greene
FOLL- Flynn Ward Kelly
I/C- Idun, Hamilton, Peatling, Rowston
Sub- Brown

In- Brown, Fahey
Out- Kennedy, XOH

B Cumming Taylor Haynes
HB Fahey Buckley Ash
C Callaghan Coniglio Whitfield
HF Daniels Cadman Himmleberg
F Lloyd Hogan Greene
FOLL- Flynn Ward Kelly
I/C- Idun, Hamilton, Peatling, Rowston
Sub- Brown
Brown? Inside info?

Experienced duo Harry Perryman and Brent Daniels will bolster the GIANTS’ line-up to take on the Lions in the nation’s capital on Saturday.

Midfielder Perryman comes back into the team after recovering from a hamstring injury suffered just minutes into the round one match against the Crows. Small forward Daniels was managed for last week’s win over the Hawks but comes straight back into the side. The 24-year-old kicked six goals across the opening four rounds. Youngster Harry Rowston also returns to the team. The tough midfielder made his AFL debut in round two and played three games before playing as the sub last week.

Out of the side are Tom Green (suspension), Cooper Hamilton (injury) and Adam Kennedy (omitted). Hamilton presented this week with a small stress fracture in his navicular which is non-surgical at this stage but will cause the young wingman to miss a number of weeks.

Coach Adam Kingsley said he is excited to have Perryman return to the side as he looks ahead to the challenge of the Lions. “We’re really excited to bring Harry straight back in,” Kingsley said. “He’s a leader of our club and an important part of our team. He showed across last season and this pre-season his weapons as a contested-ball winning midfielder and we expect him to come in and play that role really well. It’s also great to have Brent come straight back in. He’s really showed what he can do in that small forward role for us over the first part of the season. Given his history and how much we travel, we made the decision to manage him last week but he’ll come straight back in and really brings pressure and intent to our forward line. Harry will also come back into the side after playing as the sub last week. He’s a great young player finding his way in the early parts of his career and he’ll bring the toughness he’s known for. We know it’s a really tough test against the Lions but it’s one we’re really looking forward to. We can’t wait for a packed Manuka Oval and to turn it back into the fortress it once was for us.”

Team:

FB: Nick Haynes, Sam Taylor, Isaac Cumming
HB: Lachie Whitfield, Jack Buckley, Lachie Ash
C: Finn Callaghan, Josh Kelly, Daniel Lloyd
HF: Brent Daniels, Harry Himmelberg, Callan Ward
FF: Toby Greene, Jesse Hogan, James Peatling
RR: Matt Flynn, Harry Perryman, Stephen Coniglio

Interchange: Harry Rowston, Aaron Cadman, Connor Idun, Xavier O’Halloran

Emergencies: Callum Brown, Jake Riccardi, Ryan Angwin, Adam Kennedy

In: Harry Perryman, Brent Daniels, Harry Rowston
Out: Tom Green (suspension), Cooper Hamilton (injury), Adam Kennedy (omitted)

Experienced duo Harry Perryman and Brent Daniels will bolster the GIANTS’ line-up to take on the Lions in the nation’s capital on Saturday.

Midfielder Perryman comes back into the team after recovering from a hamstring injury suffered just minutes into the round one match against the Crows. Small forward Daniels was managed for last week’s win over the Hawks but comes straight back into the side. The 24-year-old kicked six goals across the opening four rounds. Youngster Harry Rowston also returns to the team. The tough midfielder made his AFL debut in round two and played three games before playing as the sub last week.

Out of the side are Tom Green (suspension), Cooper Hamilton (injury) and Adam Kennedy (omitted). Hamilton presented this week with a small stress fracture in his navicular which is non-surgical at this stage but will cause the young wingman to miss a number of weeks.

Coach Adam Kingsley said he is excited to have Perryman return to the side as he looks ahead to the challenge of the Lions. “We’re really excited to bring Harry straight back in,” Kingsley said. “He’s a leader of our club and an important part of our team. He showed across last season and this pre-season his weapons as a contested-ball winning midfielder and we expect him to come in and play that role really well. It’s also great to have Brent come straight back in. He’s really showed what he can do in that small forward role for us over the first part of the season. Given his history and how much we travel, we made the decision to manage him last week but he’ll come straight back in and really brings pressure and intent to our forward line. Harry will also come back into the side after playing as the sub last week. He’s a great young player finding his way in the early parts of his career and he’ll bring the toughness he’s known for. We know it’s a really tough test against the Lions but it’s one we’re really looking forward to. We can’t wait for a packed Manuka Oval and to turn it back into the fortress it once was for us.”

Team:

FB: Nick Haynes, Sam Taylor, Isaac Cumming
HB: Lachie Whitfield, Jack Buckley, Lachie Ash
C: Finn Callaghan, Josh Kelly, Daniel Lloyd
HF: Brent Daniels, Harry Himmelberg, Callan Ward
FF: Toby Greene, Jesse Hogan, James Peatling
RR: Matt Flynn, Harry Perryman, Stephen Coniglio

Interchange: Harry Rowston, Aaron Cadman, Connor Idun, Xavier O’Halloran

Emergencies: Callum Brown, Jake Riccardi, Ryan Angwin, Adam Kennedy

In: Harry Perryman, Brent Daniels, Harry Rowston
Out: Tom Green (suspension), Cooper Hamilton (injury), Adam Kennedy (omitted)

Was hoping Rowston would get to spend a week in the 2s to really build some confidence but his last quarter was promising enough that I think it's alright to give it another go, but we can't keep persisting with him at least at this stage of the season with him playing so poorly. Still no Fahey is a shame, think he deserves a chance. Perryman should help ease the loss of Green a little bit in contested ball winning which has been quite poor this year, hopefully he gets through unscathed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

G'day Giants fans

Thought this was interesting - Fagan says McKenna might play on Greene. He would be great at matching him for mobility but I wonder how he would go in a marking contest - he actually as 4cm on Toby but Toby is probably the best marking 180cm player of all time!

Your side still seems to have plenty of talent. I thought it was interesting Kingsley singled out making Manuka a fortress again. I suspect you will at least start very well and we'll see if the lions are up for the challenge. I was surprised you haven't won there since 2019.

Perryman seems a pretty handy inclusion for Green. And your key backs are in great form. How is Coniglio going? Seemed to start the season well.

G'day Giants fans

Thought this was interesting - Fagan says McKenna might play on Greene. He would be great at matching him for mobility but I wonder how he would go in a marking contest - he actually as 4cm on Toby but Toby is probably the best marking 180cm player of all time!

Your side still seems to have plenty of talent. I thought it was interesting Kingsley singled out making Manuka a fortress again. I suspect you will at least start very well and we'll see if the lions are up for the challenge. I was surprised you haven't won there since 2019.

Perryman seems a pretty handy inclusion for Green. And your key backs are in great form. How is Coniglio going? Seemed to start the season well.
Cogs has started the year really well playing purely as a midfield distributor.
I've seen a lot of clubs find good athletic matchups for Toby Greene and rarely does it work out for them.
I think his footy smarts and versatility works out his defender pretty quickly. He's a brutal match up.
Our backs are in good form but they can't do much if we lose the inside 50 massively every week.
Taylor on Daniher
Buckley on Hipwood
Maybe Idun tries to get a hold on Cameron but no team really has a good matchup for him.
Should be a fun game to watch. I just hope our forward can get a hold of themselves. Hogan is doing a lot of the hard work and just isn't finishing well...if he turns that around I think we can be competitive.

Cogs has started the year really well playing purely as a midfield distributor.
I've seen a lot of clubs find good athletic matchups for Toby Greene and rarely does it work out for them.
I think his footy smarts and versatility works out his defender pretty quickly. He's a brutal match up.
Our backs are in good form but they can't do much if we lose the inside 50 massively every week.
Taylor on Daniher
Buckley on Hipwood
Maybe Idun tries to get a hold on Cameron but no team really has a good matchup for him.
Should be a fun game to watch. I just hope our forward can get a hold of themselves. Hogan is doing a lot of the hard work and just isn't finishing well...if he turns that around I think we can be competitive.
Yeah i'd agree with Greene. I think Starcevich is our best hope as he is pretty good overhead, but he did get a lost a few times on him last time. Perhaps he has learnt a few things from that encounter.
Cameron fires and we win, but it might be a little chicken and egg - he can only really fire when he is getting 1-1.
Looks like good conditions just a shame it's twilight - it drops about 10 degrees in 'feels like' at this time of year in Canberra after 5pm.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back