Preview 2023 Round 6 – GWS Giants vs Brisbane Lions, Saturday, April 22, 4.35PM AEST, Manuka Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
So, round 6 saw us with a heart-stopping win against the Hawks, that was a lot more difficult than it should have been. Which does not bode well for our next round, against the Brisbane Lions who are a much better team. Having said that, the Lions have been a real mixed bag so far this season. A big loss to Port in Adelaide opened their season, before they defeated Melbourne at home, then they lost to the Bulldogs - who, like us, are languishing low on the table - before they beat the previously unconquered Magpies. Indeed, that signalled two home wins but two home losses. Their Gather Round was also technically a "home game", where they smashed the woeful Kangaroos. If the season's pattern were to continue, GWS would win this ... alas, it comes down to a bit more science than that!

GWS also has a terrible recent record at Manuka Oval (or its various names!), not having won since round 7, 2019. We also have a poor recent record against the Lions, with the past 4 games being losses. Our most recent win against them was our heart-stopping semi-final win in 2019 enroute to our maiden Grand Final appearance. And based on their last two games, they are definitely playing better than us at the moment.

It's a bit hard to work out exactly what isn't clicking for us at the moment. At times we look really good, with some end-to-end football and great finishing, and then at other times we scrap and scrap and manage to win a turnover and then someone just kicks it straight to an opposition player who's 30m from any Giants player. And a goal ensues. Maddening. Or we create scoring changes, and they spray it wide from 30 metres in front. We have an uncanny ability at times to play to the level - but just below - our opposition. Play well but still lose to better teams, play poorly and lose to poor teams. Guys like Lachie Whitfield - who used to be our most penetrating kicker - are making more errors, and instead of releasing our attack, are causing the ball to come straight back in.

The Positives

One massive positive is the form of our KPDs in Sam Taylor and Jack Buckley. Sam Taylor has developed into the premier key defender of the competition. So far this season, he has lost only 1 of 18 defensive one-on-one contests, leaving him with an astonishing loss percentage of 5.6%. He's also taken the most intercepts, and is the top-rated key defender in contested marks (equal 4th overall, and only behind McKay, Curnow & Dixon in that stat). Buckley is not too shabby either, ranking 8th in defensive-one-on-one loss rate, as well as being the top-rated key defender for pressure acts, and 8th in 1%ers. Nick Haynes is starting to get back to his best, ranking equal 3rd in total marks, behind Sicily and Weitering. So, a very decent tall defence.

Tom Green is having a superb year having escaped the shadow of Tim Taranto and Jacob Hopper, ranking 4th in disposals and 5th in contested possessions. The only downside is probably his disposal, leading the clanger count at the moment. Stephen Coniglio is also having a decent year, but he's equal 6th in clangers. Josh Kelly is also having a pretty decent year.

Up front, Toby is ... well, Toby. Mercurial, gets a lot of shots at goal, pulls off some miracles, but also misses a few too. Jesse Hogan still has the yips, but is clunking a lot of marks - he's equal 4th in contested marks (equal with Sam Taylor!) behind only McKay, Curnow and Dixon for key forwards. Despite the misses, he's equal 14th in goals scored.

The Negatives

Unfortunately, a few. Despite our mids getting a bunch of ball, we give it away far too much, leading to scores against. There's only so much that Taylor, Buckley and Haynes can do! As well, our medium defenders are not as adept as their taller brethren, and don't do as good a defending job. They have also struggled to attack down field with accuracy, and often compound our midfielders' problem in handing the ball back to our opponents. Give the Lions that luxury, and they'll cut us to pieces.

The Game

No doubt that Brisbane's confidence will be up after their last two games. Adam Kingsley will be needing to study the Lions' game plan, and work out what Port and Dogs did so well to quell them. Lachie Neale will be a major factor after his superlative outing against Norths. Having been cut up by Cripps against Carlton, and to a lesser extent by Jai Newcombe on the weekend, he seriously needs to consider tagging someone like Neale. It's not a job for Green - who might cop his own tag - but rather than let Tom run head to head, does he put Cogs or someone like O'Halloran on for a close tag.

The tall defenders will have their work cut out for them against Daniher and Hipwood. However, Norths gave up plenty of marks to them, as they did previously to Curnow and McKay - whereas Taylor and Buckley held the latter pair to just 2 goals in our recent game. So they do have the ability to quell their scoring - if our midfield can prevent an avalanche of forward entries. The main headache that Lions have given GWS in the recent past, though, has been their small forwards with Charlie Cameron and Lincoln McCarthy. This year, Cam Rayner has upped his game and will also be a threat.

And our forward line just has to kick straight this week. Hogan will clunk marks, but hopefully can throw off the yips. If not, we might need to get creative in having him give off some shots to others - such as HH or Toby - but sensibly, not stupidly as he's done in the past. Similarly, Toby needs to have maximum involvement and get goals for us to have a chance. It was good to see Aaron Cadman's game against the Hawks. Certainly not a starring role, but took a couple of great midfield marks, and from one of those a brilliant pass to Hogan.

All-in-all, this will be a pretty difficult game to win, but Brisbane have shown weakness this year, and if we can find the same pressure points as Bulldogs and Port, it is possible to upset them.

As a Canberran, I'll be there cheering on the boys - hopefully we get a good crowd, maybe some Sydneysiders can come down for a weekend in the nation's capital and enjoy the Saturday afternoon game. It's meant to be a pleasant 21 degrees, hopefully no rain, so come on down!

Last edited:
Tom Green has been given a 1 match suspension. I wonder if we accept or challenge it?
If he doesn't play, he will be refreshed for round 7. I think we probably challenge it.

We'll see who's on and off the injury list tomorrow, and whether we challenge this ludicrous suspension to see what possible changes there will be.

I agree with previous comments around Toby Bedford - if fit - likely coming back via VFL, but you never know. Hopefully Binga Daniels is OK to return after his rest, in which case you would think James Peatling or Dan Lloyd are under the microscope.

Aaron Cadman should hold his place, the only thought would possibly be if Brisbane play a McInerney-Fort ruck combo, whether we would want to go for two rucks as well.

If Tom Green does miss, then you'd think that Rowston comes back in, unless Perryman is fit from his hammy.

I'd still like to see Josh Fahey get his chance - attack from the back is still a problem for us - but if he didn't get a chance for the Hawks game, with no VFL game last week it's hard to see how he comes in now.

Anyway, a waiting game at the moment.

Tom Green has been given a 1 match suspension. I wonder if we accept or challenge it?
If he doesn't play, he will be refreshed for round 7. I think we probably challenge it.
Stupid suspension

TBH, the club would be wasting their time challenging it. There was nothing in the Will Day tackle either and most thought they'd reduce to 1 or possibly get off and AFL refused to budge. They're set in their ways this year I think. Cop it in the chin, play Rowston and move on.

Potential outs: Green(ridiculous suspension), Peatling, Kennedy

Ins: Fahey, Daniels, Brown, Briggs (2 rucks or rest Flynn ?)

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Charlie Cameron gives me nightmares.

GWS also has a terrible recent record at Manuka Oval (or its various names!), not having won since round 7, 2019. We also have a poor recent record against the Lions, with the past 4 games being losses.

As a Canberran, I'll be there cheering on the boys - hopefully we get a good crowd, maybe some Sydneysiders can come down for a weekend in the nation's capital and enjoy the Saturday afternoon game. It's meant to be a pleasant 21 degrees, hopefully no rain, so come on down!
Yes, our other home ground Manuka, has unfortunately not been a happy hunting ground of late. We have lost the last 7 matches in a row - with the last win being against St Kilda in May 2019. However, Manuka during 2016-18 was great, with us winning a staggering 9 games in a row during this time- hopefully, these happy days will return.

The crowd will be interesting. We have only ever played Brisbane once in Manuka (last year) and the crowd was 9010. Whilst it is a designated GWS Recruits match, it is still in the school holiday period.

I really hope Hogan is spending the week practicing in front of goals with his kicking. He takes strong marks but it is counter-productive to have a full forward who can't kick goals from straight in front when in range. The long bomb into the forward line still seems to occur too often; better observers may discern if this is due to forwards not leading efficiently or leads not being honoured?

Pretty sure Perryman will be available, straight in for Green.
Fahey for Hamilton may be considered also.
I imagine Daniels returns for Peatling.
Brisbane will rightfully start favourite but I think they are beatable.

Brisbane are the number 1 flat track bullies for mine. They will look to score quickly… taking the game on at every opportunity.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I actually think Taylor and Buckley will be great match ups for Daniher and Hipwood.
The big issue will be Charlie Cameron once again.they also have a lot of scoring midfielders.
No Tom Green in the middle takes away a lot of our grunt as well. Perryman in helps with that and Cogs has been tackling well but Green is so good at releasing the ball to our wings.
Binga hopefully IN is also huge.
You'd think Bedford has to come through the VFL to make sure of that Hammy and get some confidence in it.
I think we are a sneaky chance in Canberra.

So, round 6 saw us with a heart-stopping win against the Hawks, that was a lot more difficult than it should have been. Which does not bode well for our next round, against the Brisbane Lions who are a much better team. Having said that, the Lions have been a real mixed bag so far this season. A big loss to Port in Adelaide opened their season, before they defeated Melbourne at home, then they lost to the Bulldogs - who, like us, are languishing low on the table - before they beat the previously unconquered Magpies. Indeed, that signalled two home wins but two home losses. Their Gather Round was also technically a "home game", where they smashed the woeful Kangaroos. If the season's pattern were to continue, GWS would win this ... alas, it comes down to a bit more science than that!

GWS also has a terrible recent record at Manuka Oval (or its various names!), not having won since round 7, 2019. We also have a poor recent record against the Lions, with the past 4 games being losses. Our most recent win against them was our heart-stopping semi-final win in 2019 enroute to our maiden Grand Final appearance. And based on their last two games, they are definitely playing better than us at the moment.

It's a bit hard to work out exactly what isn't clicking for us at the moment. At times we look really good, with some end-to-end football and great finishing, and then at other times we scrap and scrap and manage to win a turnover and then someone just kicks it straight to an opposition player who's 30m from any Giants player. And a goal ensues. Maddening. Or we create scoring changes, and they spray it wide from 30 metres in front. We have an uncanny ability at times to play to the level - but just below - our opposition. Play well but still lose to better teams, play poorly and lose to poor teams. Guys like Lachie Whitfield - who used to be our most penetrating kicker - are making more errors, and instead of releasing our attack, are causing the ball to come straight back in.

The Positives

One massive positive is the form of our KPDs in Sam Taylor and Jack Buckley. Sam Taylor has developed into the premier key defender of the competition. So far this season, he has lost only 1 of 18 defensive one-on-one contests, leaving him with an astonishing loss percentage of 5.6%. He's also taken the most intercepts, and is the top-rated key defender in contested marks (equal 4th overall, and only behind McKay, Curnow & Dixon in that stat). Buckley is not too shabby either, ranking 8th in defensive-one-on-one loss rate, as well as being the top-rated key defender for pressure acts, and 8th in 1%ers. Nick Haynes is starting to get back to his best, ranking equal 3rd in total marks, behind Sicily and Weitering. So, a very decent tall defence.

Tom Green is having a superb year having escaped the shadow of Tim Taranto and Jacob Hopper, ranking 4th in disposals and 5th in contested possessions. The only downside is probably his disposal, leading the clanger count at the moment. Stephen Coniglio is also having a decent year, but he's equal 6th in clangers. Josh Kelly is also having a pretty decent year.

Up front, Toby is ... well, Toby. Mercurial, gets a lot of shots at goal, pulls off some miracles, but also misses a few too. Jesse Hogan still has the yips, but is clunking a lot of marks - he's equal 4th in contested marks (equal with Sam Taylor!) behind only McKay, Curnow and Dixon for key forwards. Despite the misses, he's equal 14th in goals scored.

The Negatives

Unfortunately, a few. Despite our mids getting a bunch of ball, we give it away far too much, leading to scores against. There's only so much that Taylor, Buckley and Haynes can do! As well, our medium defenders are not as adept as their taller brethren, and don't do as good a defending job. They have also struggled to attack down field with accuracy, and often compound our midfielders' problem in handing the ball back to our opponents. Give the Lions that luxury, and they'll cut us to pieces.

The Game

No doubt that Brisbane's confidence will be up after their last two games. Adam Kingsley will be needing to study the Lions' game plan, and work out what port and Dogs did so well to quell them. Lachie Neale will be a major factor after his superlative outing against Norths. Having been cut up by Cripps against Carlton, and to a lesser extent by Jai Newcombe on the weekend, he seriously needs to consider tagging someone like Neale. It's not a job for Green - who might cop his own tag - but rather than let Tom run head to head, does he put Cogs or someone like O'Halloran on for a close tag.

The tall defenders will have their work cut out for them against Daniher and Hipwood. However, Norths gave up plenty of marks to them, as they did previously to Curnow and McKay - whereas Taylor and Buckley held the latter pair to just 2 goals in our recent game. So they do have the ability to quell their scoring - if our midfield can prevent an avalanche of forward entries. The main headache that Lions have given GWS in the recent past, though, has been their small forwards with Charlie Cameron and Lincoln McCarthy. This year, Cam Rayner has upped his game and will also be a threat.

And our forward line just has to kick straight this week. Hogan will clunk marks, but hopefully can throw off the yips. If not, we might need to get creative in having him give off some shots to others - such as HH or Toby - but sensibly, not stupidly as he's done in teh past. Similarly, Toby needs to have maximum involvement and get goals for us to have a chance. It was good to see Aaron Cadman's game against the Hawks. Certainly not a starring role, but took a couple of great midfield marks, and from one of those a brilliant pass to Hogan.

All-in-all, this will be a pretty difficult game to win, but Brisbane have shown weakness this year, and if we can find the same pressure points as Bulldogs and Port, it is possible to upset them

Yeah see, this is significantly better than mine. For example, you have facts, structure, and the ability to put ideas to paper. Could you come to the Lions board and re-write mine for me please?

Yeah see, this is significantly better than mine. For example, you have facts, structure, and the ability to put ideas to paper. Could you come to the Lions board and re-write mine for me please?
I just appreciate not having to do it for once. It's been a long year after year of "GWS are going to smash the Lions", before suddenly switching to "the Lions are going to smash GWS".

No Green :unamused:
His disposal efficiency was much better than last week, but still a bit off the pace, not in our top 10.

Just as well they didn't drop Ash; his DE was second only to Nick Haynes.

Know him?? I AM him. :eyes:
Cosmo Kramer Mind Blown GIF

Lions should be looking forward to this game as a way for a few players to find some form and the Giants defenders will be able to practice setting up for 6-6-6
10 goal loss is my prediction unfortunately

Changes for this week
Perryman for Green
Not sure if Hogan needs a spell but they need to try 2 rucks at some stage and the Lions seem to favour a 2 ruck set up
Daniels to come back in will help
Kennedy, Peatling and Hamilton under a bit of pressure to retain a spot but not sure who would come in and it would be good to minimise changes to give players an opportunity to get use to the game style and how others play. No reserves game last week doesnt give players an opportunity to scream pick me but Fahey and Callum Brown could be options to get a run but the defence has been settled and will need to be ready for an influx this week. Rowston to start to offer a slightly stronger body than some of the other options. Forecast is for a sunny day so the 2 ruck set up could work unless they want to try and brign in a runner with Angwin an emergency last week

Cumming Taylor Haynes
Whitfield Buckley Ash
Callaghan Kelly Lloyd
Cadman HH Daniels
Green Hogan Peatling
Flynn Coniglio Ward
Idun Rowston Cadman Briggs XOH

Remove this Banner Ad

Back