Autopsy 2023 Round 6 – GWS Giants vs Brisbane Lions, Saturday, April 22, 4.35PM AEST, Manuka Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

That's the sort of result I can live with, sucks that we lost but Brisbane is really good and one of the best teams in the competition and we stayed within range for most of that game and probably had some chances late to really put ourselves in the thick of it but weren't able to in the end.
  • Can't ask for anything more from Cogs and Kelly both fantastic
  • Perryman found his way back into the side nicely, 15 contested and lead the team with 25 pressure acts is what we need
  • Daniels is having such a good season a true breakout, looked great again today 4 goals with 20 touches and a couple tackles i50 to go with it.
  • Didn't get enough out of our rebounders today felt like Whitfield, Cumming and Ash all weren't that involved and dangerous
  • XO explodes out of no where, was one of our best today. Certainly not expecting this every week but as long as he can be solid when called upon thats all I'm asking for at this point and he more then delivered, was super.
  • Haynes continues to look really really good, had the most intercept possessions of anyone on ground today and was handy with the ball in hand, he's not perfect by foot and he's never going to be a really damaging rebounder for us but when the usual rebounders were all quiet today he stood up when a lot of the burden was placed on him and did fine enough
  • Like seeing Toby more and more in the midfield, was 4th on the team for non ruck CBA's. Probably not going to see this type of usage when Green is back but it's what I've envisioned for a while now and it looks super effective
  • Angwin came in late but looked pretty solid, was busy early and late and looked a bit lost in the middle of the game but delivered more then I expected. Always tough being called in late and looked pretty good, wasn't super damaging though.
  • This is the types of ups and downs that are going to come with Cadman this year and probably next as well, last week it looked good but this week for he most part he was unsighted outside of his early goal, which is fine but we just have to be realistic with our expectations
  • About time Rowston gets a run in the 2s, Green back next week is the perfect chance to send him down and let him get a real good run at a level thats closer to him
  • Taylor injury can't be overstated, he's so important for us and takes on such a huge burdern for us each week with the volume he's asked to defend and how incredible he is at it. Interested to see if they bring Leek in or throw HH back in defence to fill the void to pair with Buckley

All and all pretty good effort missing Green and Taylor for about half the game, if that's the way they're going to play most weeks then there's going to be wins for us on the horizon just have to keep this level up. Sydney next week right after they got smashed this week will be another big test.

Crowd being reported as 10,461. I was at the match and thought it was considerably more. Still, was our biggest crowd this year.

Sydney got killed for getting crowds 2k less with ridiculously horrible weather compared to “perfect footy conditions” in the Capital.

Sydney got killed for getting crowds 2k less with ridiculously horrible weather compared to “perfect footy conditions” in the Capital.
I actually thought the crowd at Manuka yesterday was more! But the last time Giants Stadium had a crowd of more than 10,000 was for our elimination final in 2019 against the Bulldogs. You have to go back to the Sydney derby of 2019 to find a Home & Away crowd that exceeded yesterday’s Manuka crowd.

Although a loss the team played much better
Coniglio and Kelly had a lot of the ball and helped with the better ball movement
XOH best game and although still a few clangers his effort was there
Is that the most goals Daniels has kicked in a game?
Angwin composed for his 2nd game
Peatling good defensively and still needs to work on his decision making with the ball which will come with more games

Bad for the team and Taylor but it does provide opportunity for someone else to slot in and with the derby next week not sure on Sydney Talls but likely no Buddy and Amartey (Papley to kick 7?)
Perryman will be better for the run
Flynn did well v McInenernay

I think Ward will miss a week for the Neale tackle, although he did play out the game and I do agree the umps should have blown earlier

Will Coleman on Kennedy be looked at? It was so late and caused injury

But the last time Giants Stadium had a crowd of more than 10,000 was for our elimination final in 2019 against the Bulldogs.
Good thing absolutely nothing of note happened between that game and the recent recovery to the Blues game that would've affected crowd numbers! ;)

If we're moderately competitive like we have been I think there's a decent chance the crowds continue their current bounce back up this year fwiw.

Sitting in a different spot to where I usually sit at Spotless, was noticeable how disorganised the defence was. Good individual defenders , but a way to go to become a good defensive unit. Still no clean leader d sad once Shaw finished up.
Am wondering what is McCartneys role? Saw him having lunch with boys club leader Dave and a couple of other blokes I didn’t recognise until about 2.30pm. He was then prominent on the boundary giving instructions to players during play.
Is it the norm for a GM of football to be so involved on game day?
Despite the result, a good game to watch and plenty of promise. Hope we see Fahey next week.

Really sound and sustainable performance from us last night despite the loss couple key indicators for how we want to play moving forward were in our favour.
+2 intercept possessions
+9 scoring off turnover
+4 ground ball gets
+14 first possessions
+8 tackles
61% possession retention rate going i50

A loss is never good but if thats the style and type of performance we're going to get moving forward then there's more than a couple wins waiting for us. Full midfield all together next week for the first time, no Taylor is massive but Swans are really lacking KP players at either end atm.

Good thing absolutely nothing of note happened between that game and the recent recovery to the Blues game that would've affected crowd numbers! ;)

If we're moderately competitive like we have been I think there's a decent chance the crowds continue their current bounce back up this year fwiw.
Fair point about Covid, but note that from the end of 2019 to now, 4 of our 7 games in Manuka had drawn 10k+ crowds. We next have the Bulldogs night game against Manuka, and then play the Saints, Richmond and Fremantle in Giants Stadium. Other that the Freo game, we should be optimistic of cracking 10,000 in all of the other 3 games?

In the spirit of (possible!) fascinating stats, Ward along with Harry Himmelberg share the current sequence of playing consecutive games - 52 since round 1, 2021. If Ward gets suspended, then only HH has a chance to break our all time record of 96 consecutive games that Heath Shaw had.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very good signs from last night. Brisbane got a few lucky ones. We were running over the top of them… our fresh sub got illegally taken out with about 15 mins left.
Bring Bedford into the side and it’s suits our gamestyle even more.

Geez Perryman is an accountable player. Gives his all the whole game. I like him in our midfield.

Very good signs from last night. Brisbane got a few lucky ones. We were running over the top of them… our fresh sub got illegally taken out with about 15 mins left.
Bring Bedford into the side and it’s suits our gamestyle even more.

Geez Perryman is an accountable player. Gives his all the whole game. I like him in our midfield.
Agree with Perryman. With Green back next week, it is looking like a very good midfield rotation.

Adam Kennedy out for the season with a torn ACL due to the late bump from Brisbane's Keidean Coleman.

If the MRO doesn't give that bloke a suspension around 3-4 weeks, then it'll be an absolute joke.

It was a late hit, the Brisbane player made a beeline for Kennedy, it's high impact.

Lengthy suspensions shouldn't be restricted to contact to the head.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back