Preview 2024 AFL Draft General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Payne was close last year so probably is the prime candidate. Dean is a very good chance, as is Depaoli-Kubank and Lenny Douglas, who tested well. An outsider is Max Roney. He's a natural runner and is a strong rower, which helps with endurance and made a TSL debut at 16. Outside of Tasmania at Sandy is Nathan Sulzberger. So we do have some contenders before anyone does a Leake and bolts.

In 2025, the three Launceston boys in Wooton, Thomas and Smedley have my attention. Wooton is strong in the midfield and Smedley has a great footy resume with his achievements at his junior club. I could see him playing for the Devils AFL side one day if he makes it. I'm mates with him and his brother. Thomas has an athletics background, like Chugg. Debuted in the TSL and went well. He's big for his age which helps. Humble kid by all reports. It also seems Toby Callow may have returned to Tasmania and would be in this class.

A lot of these boys have played school and/or club footy together on top of rep games so are quite close which helps drive and build their performances.
I know Richmond have been keeping a very close eye on Max Roney for a few years. As you mentioned AFL clubs view his ability to transition run as a massive weapon. The knock would be that he’s not a massive accumulator of possessions but maybe they look past that and he gets on a rookie list.

2024 South Australian U18 Squad

*Denotes under-age player

PLAYERHEIGHT (CM)SANFL CLUBCOMMUNITY CLUB
Charlie Nicholls197CentralMintaro Manoora
Tallan Rosenzweig197CentralNuriootpa
Ryan Lane-Ellis177CentralTanunda
Dyson Sharp*188CentralBarossa District
Josh Reichelt*180CentralNuriootpa
Aidan Schubert*195CentralGawler Central
Matt LeRay*189CentralGolden Grove
Ben Camporeale186GlenelgBrighton
Lucas Camporeale185GlenelgBrighton
Harry Ramm199GlenelgBrighton
Angus Clarke188GlenelgEast Gambier
Luke Candy*183GlenelgBrighton
Evan Bradley174NorthGolden Grove
Louie Montgomery184NorthGlenunga
Blake Oudshoorn-Bennier*181NorthModbury
Sam Cumming*184NorthWentworth District
Jacob Newton178NorwoodElliston
Ned Bowman186NorwoodOrroroo
Noah Daw*191NorwoodHope Valley
Noah Howes (Overage Player)196SouthPort Noarlunga
Sid Draper181SouthWillunga
Phoenix Hargrave182SouthReynella
Jacob Sheean197SouthNoarlunga
Dakota Sterzl188SouthMcLaren Districts
Benny Barrett174SouthHappy Valley
Ryan Borlace197SouthYankalilla
Alex Dodson203SturtPayneham
Ned Atkinson182SturtEdwardstown
Harley Barker*187SturtMount Barker
Tyler Welsh191Woodville-West Torrens/AdelaideHenley
Charlie West195Woodville-West TorrensHenley
Harry Dodd184Woodville-West TorrensPort District
Tate Delmenico190Woodville-West TorrensHenley
Kade Herbert184Woodville-West TorrensBute
Rome Burgoyne182Woodville-West TorrensPort District
Jett Hasting182Woodville-West TorrensCentral Yorke Cougars
Jevan Phillipou*181Woodville-West TorrensPHOS Camden
Logan Hughes*192Woodville-West TorrensSMOSH West Lakes
What’s going on with West adelaide
Was a good breading ground in the 90s and 2000s?

Not sure where thier "Zones" these are but the Squads are dominated by SANFL teams in the growth corridors with young families like Centrals and WWT. lot of the talent that used to come though port districts and Port Magpies go through WWT now. and the junior talent pools in the yuppies like norwood,glenelg and sturt don't have any kids, its all boomers and empty nesters there now. and the old private schools of sacred hart and rostrevor well they recruit talent to prop up thier football program.

It says much about affluence and money and the role it has on sport.
yep you could include Oakleigh and Sandy in that mix, If you have access to money and resources you have access to better coaches and medical care. Hell Lloydy coaches Hailebury and runs the football program thier doesn't he. I Would suspect Vic Country and their squad is a similar story apart from a few farmboy brutes , how many are coming out of the elite school system there ala Geelong Grammar.

yep you could include Oakleigh and Sandy in that mix, If you have access to money and resources you have access to better coaches and medical care. Hell Lloydy coaches Hailebury and runs the football program thier doesn't he. I Would suspect Vic Country and their squad is a similar story apart from a few farmboy brutes , how many are coming out of the elite school system there ala Geelong Grammar.
All the APS schools have elite facilities, elite coaching around future elite players. If they're not at the school, they can be recruited, even interstate. Eg. Ryley Sanders, Nathan Sulzberger.

Most of the kids can afford the extras, the parents have high expectations, the coaching staff are experienced, everyone's connected to someone professionally, agents sign kids there, recruiters turn up to games - it builds this system. Nobody is scouting a Year 12 game out at Western suburbs game.

Vic Country still has a heavy private school influence. Few more public school or genuine country kids but still, money makes the difference.

There are fewer kids these days who grew up tough. That said, there are examples and that's why I rate the kids like Seth Campbell who overcame a lot just to make it.

The Allies team of this season is going to be a far cry from last season!

Going to be interesting to see how Metro balance their squad, not too many role players (small defenders ect) as it’s stacked with midfielders.

I think SA will surprise a few especially if Draper is fit. Draper, Sharp, Hargrave and Camporeale x2 is a pretty solid midfield! Outside of Welsh, I’ll be curious to see how their talls go!

Going to be interesting to see how Metro balance their squad, not too many role players (small defenders ect) as it’s stacked with midfielders.
You have the likes of Nguyen and Oliver as small defenders and wouldn’t surprise me if the likes of Zac Johnson/ Grego/Retschko spend some time at half back although I could see those 3 playing on a wing aswell. I think alot of the midfielders will rotate forward and from the bench

Is Bailey McKenzie rising up the draft board?

Looks to be the type of player I would like at Freo.

TIMELY HAUL FOR KEY FORWARD

A key forward who missed selection for the Sandringham Dragons last year has bolted into the Vic Metro squad on the back of a timely bag of goals last weekend.

Bailey McKenzie booted 7.3 from 23 disposals and 13 marks (six contested) in the Dragons’ win over the GWS Giants Academy in the Coates Talent League last Sunday.

He recorded 216 SuperCoach ranking points in what was the second-highest rated game of any player for the round.

The performance came a day before a final meeting of Vic Metro selectors on Monday.

McKenzie, who measures 191cm, has played four games for the Dagons this season after being overlooked for the club’s 69-player squad as a bottom-age prospect in 2023.

“We always rated Bailey as a high-level talent,” Dragons coach Rob Harding said.

“He just wasn’t going to get an opportunity, potentially, last year. But he’s come back with a greater application to his training and he’s got incredible footy smarts, Bailey.

“The seven-goal performance against GWS’s Academy on the weekend certainly helped his prospects of getting into this squad.”

SHARP START TO BOTTOM-AGE YEAR

One of the leading prospects for the 2025 national draft is again dominating the SANFL under-18 competition this year.

Central District midfielder Dyson Sharp produced his highest-ever rated game as he propelled his side to a 30-point win over Woodville-West Torrens last weekend.

Sharp racked up 34 disposals (24 contested possessions), six marks, 17 groundball gets, 11 clearances, 12 tackles and booted two goals.

Those stats saw him post a whopping 239 SuperCoach ranking points.

Across his first six games in the competition, Sharp has now averaged 26.8 disposals and 157 ranking points – despite still being 16 years old.

A back-to-back All-Australian at under-16 level, Sharp is a fierce competitor and has been named as one of 11 underage player in South Australia’s squad for the under-18 national championships this year.

That squad is headlined by top-age players including Sid Draper, Ben and Lucas Camporeale and Tyler Welsh, who are among the state’s top draft prospects this year.

South Australia begins its campaign with a clash against the Allies on May 26.

Vic Metro is a strong squad this year.

Calder's time as the footy factory has ended. Sandringham and Oakleigh have replaced them.

Can someone explain why Dandenong aren't included in Metro? I thought Dandenong included relatively urban Melbourne? Or is it a quirk.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can someone explain why Dandenong aren't included in Metro? I thought Dandenong included relatively urban Melbourne? Or is it a quirk.

Yeah not sure why it happened but, between the 2009 and 2010 TAC Cup seasons, Dandenong Stingrays went from VM to VC.

FWIW, in 2009, Tom Scully and Ryan Bastinac, both Dandy teammates, were assigned VM and VC respectively.

Is Bailey McKenzie rising up the draft board?

Looks to be the type of player I would like at Freo.

TIMELY HAUL FOR KEY FORWARD

A key forward who missed selection for the Sandringham Dragons last year has bolted into the Vic Metro squad on the back of a timely bag of goals last weekend.

Bailey McKenzie booted 7.3 from 23 disposals and 13 marks (six contested) in the Dragons’ win over the GWS Giants Academy in the Coates Talent League last Sunday.

He recorded 216 SuperCoach ranking points in what was the second-highest rated game of any player for the round.

The performance came a day before a final meeting of Vic Metro selectors on Monday.

McKenzie, who measures 191cm, has played four games for the Dagons this season after being overlooked for the club’s 69-player squad as a bottom-age prospect in 2023.

“We always rated Bailey as a high-level talent,” Dragons coach Rob Harding said.

“He just wasn’t going to get an opportunity, potentially, last year. But he’s come back with a greater application to his training and he’s got incredible footy smarts, Bailey.

“The seven-goal performance against GWS’s Academy on the weekend certainly helped his prospects of getting into this squad.”

SHARP START TO BOTTOM-AGE YEAR

One of the leading prospects for the 2025 national draft is again dominating the SANFL under-18 competition this year.

Central District midfielder Dyson Sharp produced his highest-ever rated game as he propelled his side to a 30-point win over Woodville-West Torrens last weekend.

Sharp racked up 34 disposals (24 contested possessions), six marks, 17 groundball gets, 11 clearances, 12 tackles and booted two goals.

Those stats saw him post a whopping 239 SuperCoach ranking points.

Across his first six games in the competition, Sharp has now averaged 26.8 disposals and 157 ranking points – despite still being 16 years old.

A back-to-back All-Australian at under-16 level, Sharp is a fierce competitor and has been named as one of 11 underage player in South Australia’s squad for the under-18 national championships this year.

That squad is headlined by top-age players including Sid Draper, Ben and Lucas Camporeale and Tyler Welsh, who are among the state’s top draft prospects this year.

South Australia begins its campaign with a clash against the Allies on May 26.

Pretty stunned Sharp isn't playing league SANFL. He is just bullying Under 18's like he did Under 16's last year. Dogs maybe holding him back, might give him some ressies games later in season and then if he goes well there perhaps some league footy late. As good as the doggies are going atm, he's good enough to force his way into that side.

Pretty stunned Sharp isn't playing league SANFL. He is just bullying Under 18's like he did Under 16's last year. Dogs maybe holding him back, might give him some ressies games later in season and then if he goes well there perhaps some league footy late. As good as the doggies are going atm, he's good enough to force his way into that side.

Interesting decision.

How much do you risk a 16 or 17 year old, against men.

Interesting decision.

How much do you risk a 16 or 17 year old, against men.
It did wonders for almost all of the Tasmanians who have been drafted.

Leake and Schoenmaker would not be playing AFL if not for the TSL. Leake’ was a senior premiership player at 16 I believe. McKercher and Sanders both debuted as teens and it accelerated their development. Campbell kicked ten and got selected as a result. Most Tasmanian kids benefit from it, really.

There are risks of playing teenagers against men, though so I understand why they don’t. Better to dominate than end up in A&E.

Vic Metro is a strong squad this year.

Calder's time as the footy factory has ended. Sandringham and Oakleigh have replaced them.

My understanding is METRO become very dominant if Dandy is included in their catchment. Better to spread the talent out across the 2 Victorian teams

Big bodied West Adelaide inside mid mid Sam Burbridge a surprise omission IMO, plays almost a lone hand a in a very very ordinary West Adelaide U18's team. Reckon SA could do with some of his inside grunt come the Nationals

1714720864952.png

Big bodied West Adelaide inside mid mid Sam Burbridge a surprise omission IMO, plays almost a lone hand a in a very very ordinary West Adelaide U18's team. Reckon SA could do with some of his inside grunt come the Nationals

View attachment 1978031

Dude looks my age. (32.)

DAMN!

My understanding is METRO become very dominant if Dandy is included in their catchment. Better to spread the talent out across the 2 Victorian teams
That is true. It will be a battle for any side to challenge Vic Metro this year, although I do rate the Allies given they’ve got strong talent options in Queensland and Tasmania.

That is true. It will be a battle for any side to challenge Vic Metro this year, although I do rate the Allies given they’ve got strong talent options in Queensland and Tasmania.
My understanding is that in this year group at u16 level SA won the champs and defeated Metro? They should be really strong through the midfield at least if they're injury free.

My understanding is that in this year group at u16 level SA won the champs and defeated Metro? They should be really strong through the midfield at least if they're injury free.
SA did win.

I don’t read into performances in U/16s too much. A close game, injury, poor performance, early developers … whatever the story, things change.

SA did win.

I don’t read into performances in U/16s too much. A close game, injury, poor performance, early developers … whatever the story, things change.
Still though. Draper, Sharp, Hargrave and Ben Campo through the middle, Lucas Campo on a wing kicking to Welsh in the forward line. That's a nice start to a competitive team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back