News 2024 AFL Fixture Discussion & Questions

Remove this Banner Ad

Giant YoYo

Team Captain
Jun 4, 2023
Western Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
We've heard of a potential ofAFL opener in Sydney in 2024, looks like the AFL has confirmed a potential opener for next season.

THE AFL has floated with clubs a Sydney-focused split round to begin the 2024 season, with both the Giants and the Swans to host blockbuster standalone fixtures across an earlier weekend of action.

It's understood the proposed round one fixture, which was distributed to clubs last week but is not final, would feature Greater Western Sydney kicking off the 2024 season against Collingwood on a Saturday night before Sydney plays Melbourne on the Sunday afternoon.

Last edited:
Seems weird? Not sure why this can't be done in a normal R1, just have GWS on the Friday night and Sydney on the Saturday/Sunday Channel 7 game.

I believe the AFL have indicated that their aim is to have AFL featured in Sydney to capitalise on when there's an absence of NRL games in Sydney while the NRL doubleheader Las Vegas games are on.

If they await the AFL season to commence then it may be too late to have as much of an impact as the NRL season will have started.

I believe the AFL have indicated that their aim is to have AFL featured in Sydney to capitalise on when there's an absence of NRL games in Sydney while the NRL doubleheader Las Vegas games are on.

If they await the AFL season to commence then it may be too late to have as much of an impact as the NRL season will have started.
They're going to play NRL in vegas??

Seems weird? Not sure why this can't be done in a normal R1, just have GWS on the Friday night and Sydney on the Saturday/Sunday Channel 7 game.
And according to the proposal the 4 clubs playing, including us, will have a bye in the first few weeks due to the standalone weekend fixture. Not sure that’s good so early in the season?

And according to the proposal the 4 clubs playing, including us, will have a bye in the first few weeks due to the standalone weekend fixture. Not sure that’s good so early in the season?
Getting an extra bye (I imagine our regular bye will be scheduled for the final bye week) could be a benefit

Getting an extra bye (I imagine our regular bye will be scheduled for the final bye week) could be a benefit
Yes, agree if we are getting an extra bye. I read it as that’s our bye for the season, with the other teams getting their bye mid season

Dave Mathews on SEN confirming submission to the AFL for season opener agaisnt Collingwood to be at Giants Stadium.

Greater Western Sydney is set to open the 2024 AFL season against Collingwood, with the Giants awaiting final confirmation from head office.

Dave also mentions a push for 40k members given the way the Giants are playing.

Article and broadcast playback below.

Last edited:
Now there's some chat about that first weekend being a NSW and Queensland focus. Clearly VFL House drip-feeding ideas through the media to test the reaction.

THE AFL has floated with clubs the possibility of sending two more earlier fixtures to Queensland as part of its split round proposal to begin the 2024 season. AFL.com.au revealed on Monday that the League had asked clubs for feedback on its idea of playing two standalone fixtures in NSW a weekend before next year's traditional round one games took place.

But it's now understood the AFL is also contemplating a further two fixtures in Queensland across that same earlier weekend, which would feature Brisbane playing a home match at the Gabba and Gold Coast hosting Richmond. One option being considered is for the Lions to play Carlton in a rematch of last season's preliminary final, while a Suns-Tigers matchup would see Damien Hardwick coaching against his former side for the first time.

That proposal would enable both the Blues and the Tigers to play in Queensland across the earlier weekend, before returning to Victoria for their annual Thursday night clash at the MCG the following week.

So, two replays of 2023 PFs (GWS v Pies, Lions v Blues) and two "grudge matches" (Suns v Tigers [Dimma], Swans v Demons [Grundy]).

Now there's some chat about that first weekend being a NSW and Queensland focus. Clearly VFL House drip-feeding ideas through the media to test the reaction.

THE AFL has floated with clubs the possibility of sending two more earlier fixtures to Queensland as part of its split round proposal to begin the 2024 season. AFL.com.au revealed on Monday that the League had asked clubs for feedback on its idea of playing two standalone fixtures in NSW a weekend before next year's traditional round one games took place.

But it's now understood the AFL is also contemplating a further two fixtures in Queensland across that same earlier weekend, which would feature Brisbane playing a home match at the Gabba and Gold Coast hosting Richmond. One option being considered is for the Lions to play Carlton in a rematch of last season's preliminary final, while a Suns-Tigers matchup would see Damien Hardwick coaching against his former side for the first time.

That proposal would enable both the Blues and the Tigers to play in Queensland across the earlier weekend, before returning to Victoria for their annual Thursday night clash at the MCG the following week.

So, two replays of 2023 PFs (GWS v Pies, Lions v Blues) and two "grudge matches" (Suns v Tigers [Dimma], Swans v Demons [Grundy]).
I like the 4 game option ... just have a split round and not mess with byes later

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like the four game round because it ensures we've still get a regular footy weekend - probably TNF, FNF, SNF and Sunday (or maybe Saturday) arvo. As opposed to two games and dead air the rest of the time.

Yes, agree. Friday night, Saturday afternoon, Saturday night, Sunday afternoon - all traditional timeslots - seems fine. Still a decent round of footy.

Then play normally (with 8 teams one game ahead - it will really screw with ladders!) until hitting the bye rounds, with those 8 teams needing to have two byes ... so mid-season maybe drop down to 8 games for a few weekends, or have an early bye. Still some detail to be worked on there, no doubt.

Yes, agree. Friday night, Saturday afternoon, Saturday night, Sunday afternoon - all traditional timeslots - seems fine. Still a decent round of footy.
I hate TNF but they really seem invested in it, so I'm almost certain there'll be one - and it'll have the smallest crowds.

I hate TNF but they really seem invested in it, so I'm almost certain there'll be one - and it'll have the smallest crowds.
It could be hot, so the Saturday afternoon game needs to be a 4.30 start so lots of shade wherever the game is being played.
We had the 1.10pm start time for the crows match in 35 degrees this year.

No. I think AFL House is drip-feeding ideas to the media & public to gauge reactions (good/bad) before putting it all together.
As a ex-Canberra local who would probably go back for a match, wonder who the Giants will face at Manuka Oval.

Other than my team (again), it would be cool if they could host a moderate-sized Victorian club again like Hawthorn and Richmond or a club who hasn’t played in ACT before with those big clubs such as Carlton, Collingwood, Essendon, West Coast.

But kinda resigned to the fact though given the AFL trying to popularise the Giants in Sydney, it’ll most like be a small Victorian club (St. Kilda / North Melbourne) and two newer interstate clubs outside of GWS (Fremantle / Port Adelaide / Gold Coast) for next season in Canberra.

As a ex-Canberra local who would probably go back for a match, wonder who the Giants will face at Manuka Oval.

Other than my team (again), it would be cool if they could host a moderate-sized Victorian club again like Hawthorn and Richmond or a club who hasn’t played in ACT before with those big clubs such as Carlton, Collingwood, Essendon, West Coast.

But kinda resigned to the fact though given the AFL trying to popularise the Giants in Sydney, it’ll most like be a small Victorian club (St. Kilda / North Melbourne) and two newer interstate clubs outside of GWS (Fremantle / Port Adelaide / Gold Coast) for next season in Canberra.
There was some chat in another thread that the money ploughed into the club by the ACT Government should bring a big club to Canberra certainly not less than once every 2 years, but conceivably one of the 3 games per year. However, the reality has been less than that - Richmond a few years ago was IIRC the biggest club we've seen in Canberra. Hawks and Geelong in other years.

I doubt it will be Collingwood - they're being aimed at the season opener in Sydney it would seem.

But yes, one out of Carlton/Richmond/Essendon (perhaps the latter after a disappointing end to 2023?), plus a lesser-drawing Victorian team (Hawks, Saints, Cats, Norths, Melbourne) with the third being another interstate team seems reasonable.

I suspect the more recent visiting teams to Canberra will be off the 2024 rotation: Doggies, Brisbane, Gold Coast.

There was some chat in another thread that the money ploughed into the club by the ACT Government should bring a big club to Canberra certainly not less than once every 2 years, but conceivably one of the 3 games per year. However, the reality has been less than that - Richmond a few years ago was IIRC the biggest club we've seen in Canberra. Hawks and Geelong in other years.

I doubt it will be Collingwood - they're being aimed at the season opener in Sydney it would seem.

But yes, one out of Carlton/Richmond/Essendon (perhaps the latter after a disappointing end to 2023?), plus a lesser-drawing Victorian team (Hawks, Saints, Cats, Norths, Melbourne) with the third being another interstate team seems reasonable.

I suspect the more recent visiting teams to Canberra will be off the 2024 rotation: Doggies, Brisbane, Gold Coast.
That would be good to hear if we see a “big” Victorian team play there next year given the support from the locals when they did host Richmond, Hawthorn and Geelong, with Collingwood obviously off the table given they are playing them in Round 1.

Essendon would be a good choice as the big-slot team and the ACT public would definitely take another lesser-drawn Victoria club alongside a interstate team (possibly West Coast given how awful they are currently playing but are a powerhouse financially and have never played at Manuka Oval).

Wouldn’t completely discount the three teams this year that played in ACT this year though given Brisbane has played there two years running now and Bulldogs always seem to be a big rivalry game over there, however it would be better to get some new teams to get the chance to run on Manuka Oval as well.

In my perfect world, it would be Essendon, Hawthorn and West Coast that would play in Canberra next year.

But understanding that given the AFL are trying to popularise the Giants in their primary market of Sydney now given their recent form, all the big clubs will now play at Sydney Showgrounds while Manuka Oval will more likely host teams like St. Kilda, Port Adelaide and Fremantle again.

Looks like the split first round may be no more, following feedback from NSW and QLD clubs and may instead be round zero or opening weekend.

AFL 2024 fixture: Four games to open AFL season before round 1

Couple interesting quotes from the story below:

The AFL’s ploy to open the 2024 season with a bang in NSW and Queensland has taken a new twist, with clubs preparing for a four game “Round Zero” to kick off the season.

Clubs have codenamed it “Round Zero” but the league could shift to officially label the northern-states footy festival the “Opening Weekend”.

It means there will still be nine games as part of regular round 1 the following weekend on March 14-17.

The “Round Zero” arrangement is an experimental step for the league following feedback from the Queensland and New South Wales clubs.

The four opening weekend games are GWS Giants versus Collingwood, Gold Coast versus Richmond, Brisbane versus Carlton and Sydney Swans versus Melbourne.

Those eight clubs will also be scheduled a second in-season bye, most likely some time after the round 4 Gather Round in South Australia on April 4-7, to ensure parity is restored across the fixture.

Based on the above, seems the bye could be aligned with when the Easter Show is on.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back