Prediction 2024 GWS Giants - Predicted best 22, breakout player(s), general player/team discussion & questions

Remove this Banner Ad

Train Leek up. He's got the vertical leap for it.
I'm semi joking....but he'd be good as a back up Keefe style

I love this suggestion, was wondering how to get him into the team with such a strong backline. He is 22 remember, so needs to get games now being a high pick.

He will be able to jump at the centre bounce and defend the ruckman running forward, plus he started his career as a forward. The only place he might be a liability is at stoppages with not being that strong or tall compared to the opposition first choice rucks.

Overall you can't come to the table with the same team 2 years in a row, so there needs to be some players come into the side, I'm thinking from the likes of Jones, Leek, Rowston, Gruz would be ideal.

I love this suggestion, was wondering how to get him into the team with such a strong backline. He is 22 remember, so needs to get games now being a high pick.

He will be able to jump at the centre bounce and defend the ruckman running forward, plus he started his career as a forward. The only place he might be a liability is at stoppages with not being that strong or tall compared to the opposition first choice rucks.

Overall you can't come to the table with the same team 2 years in a row, so there needs to be some players come into the side, I'm thinking from the likes of Jones, Leek, Rowston, Gruz would be ideal.
I think Rowston will take Wards spot at some point this year. His aggression was on show last year and I think he has the skills to take a spot.
Plenty of options forward now but Gruz and Leek could easily come in for any injured forward....as could Stone who's probably on last chance saloon

Anyone have a subscription to see the full article?
Last year they trialed single articles for $1 which I used for the preview in 23, but sad to see they didn't continue with it. I think it was a bit of a nightmare to administer the back end.

Mongrel remains the best journo writing I reckon...

Mongrel remains the best journo writing I reckon...
HB Meyers is fantastic - he's at least been open-minded to GWS, and now is a fan (as a second team, of course).

Some of their other writers remain rusted-on Victorian skeptics, and write about GWS accordingly. And some in the middle between those ends of the spectrum.

What a fitting end to his career it would be if in addition to playing his 300th AFL game, our inaugural (co)captain Callan Ward ends his career with a premiership. Although he is our oldest player in our list, and is currently contracted till the end of this year, I still think the club could extend Callan till 2025 (health and form permitting)?

The one accolade missing from his impressive resume is: premiership winner.

Yet another reason to be optimistic about our boys in 2024, and renew/ get a membership if you haven’t already

Brereton, who is a big fan of GWS’ prospects, has them as his likely minor premiers in 2024.

“The Giants, I’ve got them seeded one,” Brereton told SEN Afternoons.

GWS GIANTS

B:
Jack Buckley, Sam Taylor, Connor Idun

HB: Lachie Ash, Harry Himmelberg, Lachie Whitfield

C: Finn Callaghan, Tom Green, Harry Perryman

HF: Toby Bedford, Jake Riccardi, Brent Daniels

F: Callum Brown, Jesse Hogan, Toby Greene

FOLL: Kieren Briggs, Stephen Coniglio, Josh Kelly

I/C: Callan Ward, Isaac Cumming, Aaron Cadman, Darcy Jones, Phoenix Gothard (sub)

Small forward and the Giants’ second pick in last year’s draft, Darcy Jones, appears firmly in the mix for a Round 1 debut after plenty of pre-season buzz surrounding his form on the track. Considering the forward half is probably where there’s most question marks for GWS, he could fill a need and make a genuine impact. Phoenix Gothard could also compliment their forward line and would also be a chance, but you sense there’s only room for one of the two draftees. On the forwards, Aaron Cadman will hope to continue to develop his craft in attack, with the former Pick 1 booting six goals from 12 games in his first season. The Giants are otherwise well settled in defence and the midfield. Kieren Briggs will look to go from strength to strength after a breakout season in the ruck, while Finn Callaghan could push to play more time on the ball after an impressive 2023 on the wing. Adam Kennedy will be sidelined to start the season due to an ACL injury, then likely to be eased back through VFL.

GWS GIANTS

B:

I/C: Callan Ward, Isaac Cumming, Aaron Cadman, Darcy Jones, Phoenix Gothard (sub)

Small forward and the Giants’ second pick in last year’s draft, Darcy Jones, appears firmly in the mix for a Round 1 debut after plenty of pre-season buzz surrounding his form on the track. Considering the forward half is probably where there’s most question marks for GWS, he could fill a need and make a genuine impact. Phoenix Gothard could also compliment their forward line and would also be a chance, but you sense there’s only room for one of the two draftees. On the forwards, Aaron Cadman will hope to continue to develop his craft in attack, with the former Pick 1 booting six goals from 12 games in his first season. The Giants are otherwise well settled in defence and the midfield. Kieren Briggs will look to go from strength to strength after a breakout season in the ruck, while Finn Callaghan could push to play more time on the ball after an impressive 2023 on the wing. Adam Kennedy will be sidelined to start the season due to an ACL injury, then likely to be eased back through VFL.

Seems about right, with what we're hearing from Jones again this year that group seems likely for R1. If not Jones could be XO and whoever doesn't get picked would be a pretty good sub candidate

GWS GIANTS

B:

That looks pretty good to me. Although I really don't think Gothard is developed enough at this stage, even for a sub role. I'm not sure why these lists keep putting him in there. I haven't seen anything from the club that would suggest an early debut for him.

For me, if this best 22 is accurate, I would say the competition for the sub role would be between XO, Rowston or Haynes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That looks pretty good to me. Although I really don't think Gothard is developed enough at this stage, even for a sub role. I'm not sure why these lists keep putting him in there. I haven't seen anything from the club that would suggest an early debut for him.

For me, if this best 22 is accurate, I would say the competition for the sub role would be between XO, Rowston or Haynes.
I agree. I'd be putting Haynes, XO and Rowston competing for the next spots. Maybe even Fahey.

As much as I'd love Ward to keep going and win a flag this year Rowston will come for his spot quick.

Next up depth
Backs
Haynes, Leek, Fahey

Mids
Rowston, XO, Angwin(wing), Stone, Wehr

Forward
Gruz, Keefe, Jones, (Stone), Gothard

GWS GIANTS

B:

Id expect XOH to win a spot in the starting 22

Im not prepared to rule out Haynes forcing his way into the top 22 in one role or another.

The thing, very rarely is everyone available, so lots of those guys on the fringes will play plenty of footy over the year.

Id expect XOH to win a spot in the starting 22

Im not prepared to rule out Haynes forcing his way into the top 22 in one role or another.

The thing, very rarely is everyone available, so lots of those guys on the fringes will play plenty of footy over the year.
Yeah ... I think XOH turned the corner last year and looks really committed this pre-season. Stone, et al will all get a game at some point with niggles and 1-week suspensions bound to arise

I agree. I'd be putting Haynes, XO and Rowston competing for the next spots. Maybe even Fahey.

As much as I'd love Ward to keep going and win a flag this year Rowston will come for his spot quick.

Next up depth
Backs
Haynes, Leek, Fahey

Mids
Rowston, XO, Angwin(wing), Stone, Wehr

Forward
Gruz, Keefe, Jones, (Stone), Gothard
That's a good list.

Where do we see Cooper Hamilton in all this?

That's a good list.

Good question.
Pre injury he was ahead of a number of those guys.
He is an elite runner. That is super highly valued with our style, he may be close to a game than we think.

That's a good list.

Probably not there for me. Adam Kennedy is another one that probably just doesn't make it back in the team unless we are stretched. I love both of their competitiveness and gut run I'm just not sure they make it into a very good team

Probably not there for me. Adam Kennedy is another one that probably just doesn't make it back in the team unless we are stretched. I love both of their competitiveness and gut run I'm just not sure they make it into a very good team
That would certainly be the popular view, and probably correct.
He is one surprise selection that is not far fetched though.

That would certainly be the popular view, and probably correct.
He is one surprise selection that is not far fetched though.
He could certainly earn a spot on the wing over Angwin or Wehr. Especially with this game style...a hard working tackling machine who has repeat efforts like we have seen him do before.

I'd certainly like to see him out there. Just not sure. I'd also LOVE to see Gruzewski get a run....but it probably only happens through injury and I'm not keen on that.

That's a good list.

Just a depth piece again I'd imagine, don't think he really offers enough offensively to warrant getting a game over the other options although the trio of Wehr, Angwin and Hamilton is a fairly uninspiring one. Unless we see very clear development from Hamilton and Angwin I'd think Wehr is the best pick of the bunch again, he's a really nice user of it although like the others doesn't find it a whole lot.

Here's the Sporting News attempt at a round 1 team, for comparison. No Jones or any draftees.

GWS Round 1 predicted team​

Full BackJack BuckleySam TaylorConnor Idun
Half BackLachie AshHarry HimmelbergLachie Whitfield
CentreFinn CallaghanTom GreenHarry Perryman
Half ForwardToby BedfordJake RiccardiBrent Daniels
Full ForwardCallum BrownJesse HoganToby Greene
FollowersKieren BriggsJosh KellyStephen Coniglio
InterchangeIsaac CummingCallan WardAaron Cadman
Xavier O'HalloranRyan Angwin (sub)

Here's the Sporting News attempt at a round 1 team, for comparison. No Jones or any draftees.

GWS Round 1 predicted team​

Full BackJack BuckleySam TaylorConnor Idun
Half BackLachie AshHarry HimmelbergLachie Whitfield
CentreFinn CallaghanTom GreenHarry Perryman
Half ForwardToby BedfordJake RiccardiBrent Daniels
Full ForwardCallum BrownJesse HoganToby Greene
FollowersKieren BriggsJosh KellyStephen Coniglio
InterchangeIsaac CummingCallan WardAaron Cadman
Xavier O'HalloranRyan Angwin (sub)
pretty close to what I think

Remove this Banner Ad

Back