Prediction 2024 GWS Giants - Predicted best 22, breakout player(s), general player/team discussion & questions

Remove this Banner Ad

Now that Perryman, Cumming and possibly Callaghan aren’t available rd 1….
Whitfield Taylor Idun
Ash Buckley HH
Kelly Ward Angwin
Greene Riccardi Brown
Daniels Hogan Bedford
Briggs Cogs Green

XOH Jones Cadman Keeffe/Stone/Rowston/Wehr/Fahey

Pass mark

Another Prelim. From there, who knows. They're unashamedly after the ultimate glory now. There's a lot of top end youth at the Giants but they'll want to strike as a club while the experienced core of Greene, Coniglio, Kelly, Whitfield, Ward, Hogan and Haynes are still at an elite level. They have the perfect list mix to win a flag in the next couple of seasons. 2024 may just be the breakthrough premiership year.

I probably think this is pretty close (best team, not first round) ... the queries for me will be Isaac Cumming & Aaron Cadman:

Best 23 for 2024

B: Connor Idun, Sam Taylor, Harry Himmelberg
HB: Lachie Whitfield, Jack Buckley, Lachie Ash
C: Isaac Cumming, Josh Kelly, Finn Callaghan
HF: Toby Greene, Jake Riccardi, Brent Daniels
F: Toby Bedford, Jesse Hogan, Callum Brown
Foll: Kieren Briggs, Tom Green, Stephen Coniglio
I/C: Callan Ward, Harry Perryman, Aaron Cadman, Xavier O'Halloran, Darcy Jones
Emerg:
Nick Haynes, Lachie Keeffe, Ryan Angwin

Plenty more in the story

Now that Perryman, Cumming and possibly Callaghan aren’t available rd 1….
Whitfield Taylor Idun
Ash Buckley HH
Kelly Ward Angwin
Greene Riccardi Brown
Daniels Hogan Bedford
Briggs Cogs Green

XOH Jones Cadman Keeffe/Stone/Rowston/Wehr/Fahey
Gonna assume that Callaghan will be fit for round 0. The article seemed to be saying his injury was far less serious. If not, we can deal with that later once we know. But assuming Perryman and Cumming will be out...

B: Buckley, Taylor, Idun
HB: Ash, Himmelberg, Whitfield
C: Callaghan, Green, Haynes
HF: Daniels, Riccardi, Bedford
F: Greene, Hogan, Brown
R: Briggs, Cogs, Kelly
INT: Ward, Cadman, XOH, Jones

I think Haynes is the logical replacement for Cumming. He can play well on the wing and also fulfill the defensive rotation which is part of Cumming's role.

Perryman's role is much trickier to fill and in fact I don't think we even have anyone else who can play as that defensive tagger the way Perryman does. So I think we might be better off just abandoning the tag and focusing on our own offensive game instead.

Gonna assume that Callaghan will be fit for round 0. The article seemed to be saying his injury was far less serious. If not, we can deal with that later once we know. But assuming Perryman and Cumming will be out...

B: Buckley, Taylor, Idun
HB: Ash, Himmelberg, Whitfield
C: Callaghan, Green, Haynes
HF: Daniels, Riccardi, Bedford
F: Greene, Hogan, Brown
R: Briggs, Cogs, Kelly
INT: Ward, Cadman, XOH, Jones

I think Haynes is the logical replacement for Cumming. He can play well on the wing and also fulfill the defensive rotation which is part of Cumming's role.

Perryman's role is much trickier to fill and in fact I don't think we even have anyone else who can play as that defensive tagger the way Perryman does. So I think we might be better off just abandoning the tag and focusing on our own offensive game instead.
Kennedy would usually be the fit. Maybe a job for Cooper?

Jesse is our most accurate goal kicker - this list was calculated based on at least 20 attempts at goal.

GWS GIANTS club banner

Jesse Hogan: 49 goals, 28 behinds, 83 attempts: 59% accuracy rate

Jesse Hogan leads for a side that isn’t too accurate in front of goals compared to the competition.

Other forwards that hit more than they miss include Jake Riccardi (53.8 per cent) and Toby Greene (53.7 per cent).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Harvey Thomas named in the squad for praccy match…. This kid (as small as he is) is a Smokey…. From the tiny snippets I’ve seen he is a competitor… he has an elite tank already, is smart and is a good user.
Possibly a smaller version of Gulden.
If Oniy !!

Harvey Thomas named in the squad for praccy match…. This kid (as small as he is) is a Smokey…. From the tiny snippets I’ve seen he is a competitor… he has an elite tank already, is smart and is a good user.
Possibly a smaller version of Gulden.
Super interesting he's already skipping the VFL squad, really composed and got some nice skills which he'll need especially when you're that small you need to be maxing out all your other attributes.

Super interesting he's already skipping the VFL squad, really composed and got some nice skills which he'll need especially when you're that small you need to be maxing out all your other attributes.
He’s listed as a “smooth moving left footer”

Ever heard a player described as a Sherman tank-like clunky left footer?

They’re always “smooth”

Wish I was left footed

He's got the endurance; if he's a decent kick, might he be a chance for that wing spot? We speculated a lot of guys - Cumming, Haynes, Angwin, Fahey, Hamilton, Fonti. Notwithstanding his size, he was an inside mid, so he can scrap and tackle if required, but if he can deliver a lethal pass into F50, and also get back to defend, does that work over say a taller player who doesn't quite have the endurance or the precision kicking?

You blokes are getting me excited to see Thomas in action.
Peatling seems to tumbling down the pecking order.
Major injuries required to see peatling play I suspect.
It's good to know you have guys like that in case of emergency. You know he'll give a 100 and work his but off

Hi folks,
Is Isaac Cumming injured, and when is he likely to return?
Cheers.

Hi folks,
Is Isaac Cumming injured, and when is he likely to return?
Cheers.
he has a minor injury and is likely to miss rnd 1, but not many more.
He may have competition for his spot as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back