Position 2024 Fantasy Rucks

How much impact will R0 have on determining your RUCK combo ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Round 0 sees the clash of "MATES"...... well former team mates at least GRUNDY vs GAWN. The massive plan of tag teaming Grundy with Gawn was a much heralded fail.

From a Fantasy perspective, we don't care how much Collingwood was paying of Grundy's salary, or even if any of that goes to Sydney now. We just want a durable ruck who can give a viable alternative to English or Marshall at a fraction of the cost. We are bargain hunting here! So we look first at last season:

1704599846909.png

Then Grundy's output the season before (2022):
1704599987342.png

And for good measure, the season before that (2021):
1704600165465.png

It's not a particularly deep dive. Impacts the big Cox and Darcy Cameron has had on his output could be looked at as well, but I doubt it will have a material effect on the following question:

If you are considering Brodie Grundy for your Fantasy side, what do you need to see from him in the Mates Showdown in Sydney between Grundy and Gawn on Thursday March 7th?

Last edited:

I wouldn't have been shocked if the post said Yeo and the game hadn't started. Flynn is odd
Well I guess he is the Nic Nat replacement. Doing a hammy before a ball is bounced in anger is probably taking his new role a little too far though.

Last edited:
Real shame for him and you guys. Thought he would have been very solid if he got a good run.

Do you think this opens a place for Barnett to play some games? He’s my R3 in hope he gets some experience.
I doubt its Barnett, id look to Waterman probably doing some rucking, maybe Jack Williams too.
Barnett is probably a next year prospect I think

I doubt its Barnett, id look to Waterman probably doing some rucking, maybe Jack Williams too.
Barnett is probably a next year prospect I think
Think he (Barnett) was talked up a little as a sneaky chance by Calvin on Traders

Think he (Barnett) was talked up a little as a sneaky chance by Calvin on Traders
He is a chance, but pretty unlikely I think. More than likely they replace Flynn with a forward who can pinch hit in the ruck, same as last year.
So BWilliams would do the Flynn role and Livingstone/J.Williams/Waterman come in and play as a forward pinch hitting in the ruck like BW was gonna do is what I expect, keeping the game plan very similar.
Barnett is more of a pure ruckman

Nek minnit....

Think it was more about Barnett being a $200k R3 or Utility and a sneaky chance to get a game or two - meaning if Flynn out he gets up the pecking order slightly. Also we need to think about a looping player the first six rounds

Had been pretty keen on starting Grundy and Xerri but with having Adams and Jordon in my forward line I think it makes sense bye wise to start Gawn.

I realise I could have bench cover from the rooks in my forward line in round 5 but not sure I want to run that risk.

Gawn will also likely be easier to get up to Marshall/English if I want one of them going into Gawn's bye.

Round zero is an absolute piece of s**t but at least it will make the Gawn or Grundy decision for me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thinking of making a rogue play and starting with Xerri as utility.

• Will come on for Grundy / Gawn byes. Will lose points him being on the bench but will hopefully pick some up when grundy/gawn are out.
  • Overall handy Ruck cover if Grundy / Gawn go down early or if either disappoints ( Last year ironically Xerri went down and i couldn't reach English which was the sliding doors moment for me last season)
  • Can loop Xerri as he has early games rounds 1-6 - i.e. hopefully can do 1-2 130+'s as solo ruck
  • Will make a heap of cash early on and will help me jump on a bolter and or jump on someone coming off their bye.
  • Easy trade down to a cheap rookie that's killing it and upgrade on the other end.

Overall it's a risk mitigation strategy and if it doesn't work out, it's easy to jump on mid price bolters or premiums that seem to be the picks of the season.

• Will come on for Grundy / Gawn byes. Will lose points him being on the bench but will hopefully pick some up when grundy/gawn are out.
  • Overall handy Ruck cover if Grundy / Gawn go down early or if either disappoints ( Last year ironically Xerri went down and i couldn't reach English which was the sliding doors moment for me last season)
  • Can loop Xerri as he has early games rounds 1-6 - i.e. hopefully can do 1-2 130+'s as solo ruck
  • Will make a heap of cash early on and will help me jump on a bolter and or jump on someone coming off their bye.
  • Easy trade down to a cheap rookie that's killing it and upgrade on the other end.

Overall it's a risk mitigation strategy and if it doesn't work out, it's easy to jump on mid price bolters or premiums that seem to be the picks of the season.
Selby did a breakdown of this option on one of the MM podcasts, and it does seem to be an option that works out points wise (in terms of what you gain vs what you lose).
Although I wouldn't do it if we get Conway named for R1.

Tried a team with this strategy and it looked sh*t

Just thinking, just say you're running Gawn/Grundy, if theirs no cheap bench option in round 1 surely you can't run both and just go Grundy down to Xerri.
I think you can, chances of Conway for eg being in your top 18 scores is pretty low if you’ve got 22 on field so if you thin Grundy best value go for it

But the bigger worry is how many other rd 5/6 players you may have making that depth pool shakier if you don’t move then on at/before the bye

Last edited:
I think you can, chances of Conway for eg being in your top 18 scores is pretty low if you’ve got 22 on field so if you thin Grundy best value go for it

But the bigger worry is how many other rd 5/6 players you may have making that depth pool shakier if you don’t move then on at/before the bye
I feel Ruckman will always score 50+ unless its shared.

Yeah not wrong, reason why paying up for good bench options will be vital early on.

I feel Ruckman will always score 50+ unless its shared.

Yeah not wrong, reason why paying up for good bench options will be vital early on.
They should but is another player scoring 50 likely to alter your best 18 score if you have a full field to choose from? Marginal at best if at all

Grundy/Xerri and upgrade Grundy at early bye to either RoMa or English.
I think you (and a lot of coaches in general) overestimate the amount of cash generation that is going to be possible at Round 5.

At current prices that upgrade costs close to $400k. You aren't going to get that level of cash generation. If Grundy starts well and one of the others start poor then you might shave 100k off that figure.

I think you (and a lot of coaches in general) overestimate the amount of cash generation that is going to be possible at Round 5.

At current prices that upgrade costs close to $400k. You aren't going to get that level of cash generation. If Grundy starts well and one of the others start poor then you might shave 100k off that figure.
Spot on !

Fair points.
Though I disagree on the maths, please correct where I am wrong.

Grundy $677,000 - priced at 75.
Conservatively estimating his scores over 5 rounds:
-Melbourne 80
-Collingwood 95
-Essendon 95
-Richmond 90
-WC 105
Average 93-95.

Would see him rise by around 20k per match (double in the first round) -> approx $780,000

English $1,071,000 - priced at 118.7
Similar fixtures - Demons, Bombers, Eagles and has Suns/Cats instead of Pies/Tigers
So would estimate he goes around 110-115 over that time. Would see him fall by around 10-15k per match -> approx $1.02m

Which is a difference of ~240k. Even if English maintains price, it would be ~290k.

There will be a rookie maxing out around 400k that can gain 200k in R4-5, so it only requires a little cash.

Back