Position 2024 Fantasy Rucks

How much impact will R0 have on determining your RUCK combo ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Round 0 sees the clash of "MATES"...... well former team mates at least GRUNDY vs GAWN. The massive plan of tag teaming Grundy with Gawn was a much heralded fail.

From a Fantasy perspective, we don't care how much Collingwood was paying of Grundy's salary, or even if any of that goes to Sydney now. We just want a durable ruck who can give a viable alternative to English or Marshall at a fraction of the cost. We are bargain hunting here! So we look first at last season:

1704599846909.png

Then Grundy's output the season before (2022):
1704599987342.png

And for good measure, the season before that (2021):
1704600165465.png

It's not a particularly deep dive. Impacts the big Cox and Darcy Cameron has had on his output could be looked at as well, but I doubt it will have a material effect on the following question:

If you are considering Brodie Grundy for your Fantasy side, what do you need to see from him in the Mates Showdown in Sydney between Grundy and Gawn on Thursday March 7th?

Last edited:
Who’s everyone thinking at R3?

Given most will either go Gawn/Grundy. Grundy/Xerri. Gawn/Xerri?

Any one ballsy enough to go all three?

I had all three going into this round with a view of taking Gawn and either Grundy/Xerri or Marshall/Barnett into round 1. There are so many rookies available now that I don't see a scenario where I don't have surplus cash to use so I'm probably taking Gawn / Grundy / Xerri into R1 at this stage.

There is a play to rock Grundy / Xerri for a couple of rounds and flip to Max but Max should hit his breakeven I would think.

Last edited:

Could depend on how Williams goes tonight and Cadman goes tomorrow. If they do well I can drop Jordan Clark down to ZW, Cam Mackenzie to Cadman and play an extra fwd rookie on field, then go Barnett to Xerri at R3. We'll see.

hey dude nicksplat GIF

Fair points.
Though I disagree on the maths, please correct where I am wrong.

Grundy $677,000 - priced at 75.
Conservatively estimating his scores over 5 rounds:
-Melbourne 80
-Collingwood 95
-Essendon 95
-Richmond 90
-WC 105
Average 93-95.

Would see him rise by around 20k per match (double in the first round) -> approx $780,000

English $1,071,000 - priced at 118.7
Similar fixtures - Demons, Bombers, Eagles and has Suns/Cats instead of Pies/Tigers
So would estimate he goes around 110-115 over that time. Would see him fall by around 10-15k per match -> approx $1.02m

Which is a difference of ~240k. Even if English maintains price, it would be ~290k.

There will be a rookie maxing out around 400k that can gain 200k in R4-5, so it only requires a little cash.

The math always works but you still need the universe to align.

I think getting creative with rucks could be the undoing of us all, especially if there is carnage around our starting rookies.

I’m going with Grundy because I think he’s a top 3 ruck, and presents real value. Not because, I see him as a pathway to someone else. I will probably partner him with one of Gawn, English or Marshall and set and forget.

Darcy Cameron :think:

Initial thought was no but now I’m thinking I’ll ride the break even.

Worst possible bye round though so I’m gonna need to be careful with that
Will go up by $70k if he scores 100 against Grundy, then has Marshall, the Big O and Reeves before his bye. Big investment for an iffy return

Will go up by $70k if he scores 100 against Grundy, then has Marshall, the Big O and Reeves before his bye. Big investment for an iffy return
Yeah I get that for sure but if he does go 100 his BE is only reducing more too so it could be 150k over 4 weeks just by being solid. May need to find a price projection calculator to look at variables.

I’ve got Jackson fwd so even a Cameron to Flanders rd 3 becomes an option.

Almost comes down to if Gawn is a keeper it’s not worth it, if Gawn is just a cash cow to step to to the big dogs then there is strong merit in chasing that cash boost (and this is where I’m most torn as I think Gawn could be huge still)

Darcy Cameron a serious option now? I was considering him before this but if Cox is out up until their bye it is almost an obvious pick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wonder what you would have said if the rounds were reversed and he scored 118 instead?
scores aside, people like Kane Cornes were so reactionary basing the Grundy recruit a success and criticising Melbourne for not getting more at the trade table. The reality is he is slow, has horrible footy IQ and can't find space around the ground. the scg is just a joke size of a ground so he is around the ball more.

Melbourne scored a bargain by getting him off the books. As did Collingwood.

scores aside, people like Kane Cornes were so reactionary basing the Grundy recruit a success and criticising Melbourne for not getting more at the trade table. The reality is he is slow, has horrible footy IQ and can't find space around the ground. the scg is just a joke size of a ground so he is around the ball more.

Melbourne scored a bargain by getting him off the books. As did Collingwood.
I assume if he bounces back next week with a good score, we won't hear from you ?

Back