List Mgmt. 2024 List Management 📃

Remove this Banner Ad

You are really rating Cumberland who is terrible defensively over E. Hollands who is younger and already a significantly better footballer?
No, I have Elijah moving on ball in the next 12-24 months. That's where he excelled as a junior and at VFL level and where I imagine the club sees him long term.

Until proven otherwise he's a locked and loaded b22 player.

Yep, additionally, TT was also told to undergo a behavioural change program & took the piss.
I hope that he can get his s**t together for his sake & that of those around him but I don't think our footy club (or any other AFL club) will be inclined to embrace him given, North have copped a lot of flack for trying to get him on the right track, only to be let down on a number of occasions.

Im no fan, I’m also not opposed to him getting a second chance, even at our club, but this idea that someone goes away for a single season and then comes back a change man, is a piss take.

Hopefully he goes away, plays footy somewhere, sorts his crap out and if he shows over an extended period of time to have fixed his issues, then maybe he’d get another go.

The only thing Austin has got wrong is Young. Given he had previous insight that was a bad decision. The rest of his decisions i either like, like a lot or im ok with.

Having Young means the club doesnt look for a better option. That's the biggest cost, stopping to look because he is there.

The calamity rubs off on other players.

The only thing Austin has got wrong is Young. Given he had previous insight that was a bad decision. The rest of his decisions i either like, like a lot or im ok with.

Having Young means the club doesnt look for a better option. That's the biggest cost, stopping to look because he is there.

Interesting take here.

Understanding the sentiment, but it remains a conundrum to supporters, and I am sure our match committee and list management team.

Lewis Young has proven himself to be more than capable of thriving, let alone, adequately holding down a defensive key position role. Yet, he consistently of late, throws up sub standard showings when he is needed most. He is a talented and very capable defender, yet indisputedly his offerings are sub standard.

More than any other player on our list, Lewis displays a fragile psyche. We can only make assumptions for the reasoning behind it. The oft rumoured disconnect with Weitering is thrown up, but if it remains an issue, clearly the responsibility is in Young. Weitering is a strong, maybe even overbearing type. As a layperson watching on, I can see how he could rub someone with different characteristics the wrong way. Unfortunately Weiters is Weiters and his persona within the group is well established. The coaches are happy to have him as leader of the pack, so to speak. I sometimes feel the coaches abdicate a bit of responsibility to Jacob and allow him to dictate on field structures, which could be counterproductive with some members of the group who are wired differently with personality and instincts.

The bottom line is that in a professional environment, Lewis Young has to find a way to overcome any philosophical or operational differences. He is the outlier in a system which is normally regarded as one of the better defences in the competition. As a genuine tall defender, he could add so much to the group. By default, our first structure has become Weitering as the key pillar supported by slightly undersized Kemp(or Marchbank if available) and the less accountable third tall/rebounding McGovern.

We are “screaming” for either a key defender able to assume the leader of the pack mantle in the absence of Weiters, or ideally to work in tandem with our backline “general”. We are very much in need of generation next to be developing at the same time. Young is in an age group which makes him a chance to lead that next wave, but his persona seems to make that impossible. He does not have the make up to lead.

I suspect part of Docherty moving from defence was to avoid a “clash” of two leaders with Weitering adopting an increasing assertive role down back. Thinking Weiters was given ownership down back. Young is not fitting within this model.

I am certain our leaders are reluctant to give up on Young and replace him with Sam Durdin, primarily due to the progression issues, as Sam is older than Weitering. Surely we would be doing all we can to pump up Young’s tyres and would prefer not to drop him. His contract situation (end of ‘26) on reasonable coin is a real issue if he cannot become a first choice defender. I was all for his recruitment, as his best is exceptionally good, however he struggles to produce it.

If Durdin is fit and doing all of the work on the track, he surely enters the conversation. It remains to be seen how he would work in tandem with Weitering, but absolutely should be something we see first hand. We need to cement our list aspirations and work towards them as best we can within the constraints we have (picks, salary cap, contracts)

Surely we find a way to add to our key defensive options. We are currently trialling/educating Lemmey in the seconds. He has all of the tools, skill wise, but has similar questions to Young in that he is not overly assertive or aggressive in his approach.

It is difficult to think otherwise than we should look to add to our key defensive options as soon as we possibly can. Draft or trade?

Interesting discussion re Young. I think there's a combination of factors at play:

- Young was at his best in mid-2022, when we were playing a more conservative brand of footy. Slow ball movement, and generally more numbers behind the ball. Young did well under the high ball, where he was able to use his athleticism to jump and spoil or mark

- We're now very effective at controlling field position, which leaves our defenders more exposed on the rebound. This is exposing Young's weaknesses. Lacks footy smarts and struggles when his opponent has space to work in. Loses touch with his opponent and rolls off to cover the loose man at the wrong time

- His lack of footy smarts makes him unpredictable to his teammates which limits their ability to be aggressive. His spoiling is incredibly frustrating - hits it with very little care, in stark contrast to Weitering, who kills the ball better than any defender in the competition. Not to mention how slow and unsure he is with ball in hand

- Hard to make it at top-level footy when you're as much of a confidence player as Young (not to mention the lack of aggression). The highs are high but the lows are catastrophic. Being 200cm, the threshold for the mental side of the game is a lot lower than players of smaller stature

Interesting discussion re Young. I think there's a combination of factors at play:

- Young was at his best in mid-2022, when we were playing a more conservative brand of footy. Slow ball movement, and generally more numbers behind the ball. Young did well under the high ball, where he was able to use his athleticism to jump and spoil or mark

- We're now very effective at controlling field position, which leaves our defenders more exposed on the rebound. This is exposing Young's weaknesses. Lacks footy smarts and struggles when his opponent has space to work in. Loses touch with his opponent and rolls off to cover the loose man at the wrong time

- His lack of footy smarts makes him unpredictable to his teammates which limits their ability to be aggressive. His spoiling is incredibly frustrating - hits it with very little care, in stark contrast to Weitering, who kills the ball better than any defender in the competition. Not to mention how slow and unsure he is with ball in hand

- Hard to make it at top-level footy when you're as much of a confidence player as Young (not to mention the lack of aggression). The highs are high but the lows are catastrophic. Being 200cm, the threshold for the mental side of the game is a lot lower than players of smaller stature
I think this is a fair summary, and also why Liam Jones would not be a good fit for our current set up.

We're trying to intelligently cut off opposition options and respond to fast breaks while maintaining an aggressive press.

The reason why Mitch McGovern can functionally play tall in our system is he is a great read of the ball and play and can accentuate our system. Young struggles when he isn't essentially the anchor player (deepest defender on a primary target)

On Pixel 7a using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think this is a fair summary, and also why Liam Jones would not be a good fit for our current set up.

We're trying to intelligently cut off opposition options and respond to fast breaks while maintaining an aggressive press.

The reason why Mitch McGovern can functionally play tall in our system is he is a great read of the ball and play and can accentuate our system. Young struggles when he isn't essentially the anchor player (deepest defender on a primary target)

On Pixel 7a using BigFooty.com mobile app
Not sure I agree regarding Jones. He'd make a material impact on our ability to win a premiership. Can be a bit kamikaze with his approach, but he reads the ball brilliantly, has excellent closing speed and attacks the ball with reckless abandon. He also had great chemistry with Weitering.

One thing I've noticed is the way Weitering speaks about his teammates. He would talk up Jones at every opportunity when he was on our list (and even mentioned him a few times since). He'll occasionally mention the likes of Gov, Kemp and Marchbank but not with the same enthusiasm. You rarely hear him mention Young.

Not sure I agree regarding Jones. He'd make a material impact on our ability to win a premiership. Can be a bit kamikaze with his approach, but he reads the ball brilliantly, has excellent closing speed and attacks the ball with reckless abandon. He also had great chemistry with Weitering.

One thing I've noticed is the way Weitering speaks about his teammates. He would talk up Jones at every opportunity when he was on our list (and even mentioned him a few times since). He'll occasionally mention the likes of Gov, Kemp and Marchbank but not with the same enthusiasm. You rarely hear him mention Young.
Yeh Jones takes as many intercept marks as Weitering and Gov combined

Young has all the skills to succeed and be an elite combination with Weitering…

Just lacks confidence to take the game on by foot/ quick decision making and isn’t physically strong or aggressive enough to compete 1v1 on the big forwards…

If he can turn this around he’d be the KPD we’re looking for… Although at 25 years of age already the likely hood is low…

Spoiler alert:

Jacob Weitering will eventually re-sign long-term for Carlton.

(Now no one has to listen to what Beveridge and Twomey have to say about it…)

Maybe they should try and change young’s mindset in training instead of stopping each time he marks a ball to playing on at all costs so he is use to it … every time he marks I can go grab a beer and come back…also when he punches the ball punch as far as you can …. The dude can play, we have all seen it ..

Spoiler alert:

Jacob Weitering will eventually re-sign long-term for Carlton.

(Now no one has to listen to what Beveridge and Twomey have to say about it…)

To be honest I can't even imagine Weitering playing for another team.

If he was going to leave he would've done it long ago.

Yeah I have zero concerns about Weiters. Deserves an absolute truckload but can see him taking unders to try and keep everyone together.
Very high level of confidence shown here.

I have no inside information, and hopefully our club affiliates will have Weiters catered for after his playing career. I must confess to having questions following the revelations that he was scammed out of “his savings” a while back. If his finances took a massive hit, would he not be tempted by an extra few hundred grand per annum? There are some significant war chests among the clubs.

Very high level of confidence shown here.

I have no inside information, and hopefully our club affiliates will have Weiters catered for after his playing career. I must confess to having questions following the revelations that he was scammed out of “his savings” a while back. If his finances took a massive hit, would he not be tempted by an extra few hundred grand per annum? There are some significant war chests among the clubs.

It depends which clubs come calling with the monster offers IF he would leave.

He's not going to go to s club who hasn't yet been successful no matter how loaded and desperate for a FB they are (ie. North).

I also don't believe that he would head interstate.

My only concern would be if a club in it's own premiership window and with a truck load of cash came calling I would think those are the clubs we might have some concerns with Jacob. Perhaps a Melbourne as May's (32, 33 next year) replacement or the Filth will stump up big.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back