List Mgmt. 2024 List Management 📃

Remove this Banner Ad

Elijah has been a fantastic pick up and I think will only continue to improve, but he's not a genuine small forward which is what we're crying out for
I don’t think the list management team were counting on Motlop, Fogarty, Cuningham and Martin all being out at the same time for such a large chunk of the season. Of course we are going to look a bit light when all those guys are out

I don’t think the list management team were counting on Motlop, Fogarty, Cuningham and Martin all being out at the same time for such a large chunk of the season. Of course we are going to look a bit light when all those guys are out
Martin Fog and Cunners have spent more time in the rehab room during their time at Carlton than they have playing games.

If they weren't counting on that to continue then they weren't doing their due diligence. Betting sites would be offering odds for it at $1.01

Elijah Hollands is kicking over a goal a game as a half forward that we got for a 3rd round draft pick with a high ceiling that will be around for a decade. As opposed to Gresham, who would command $600k a year, and might put together 2 good seasons based on his output at the saints. I know which one I would rather

Both were attainable and could play in our best 22 alongside each other.

You need to pay for AFL quality especially up forward. That money instead gets put in front of Hayward a year later and they are a very similar quality of player. Unfortunately we aren’t going to get handed players like Elijah for nothing every offseason.

Martin Fog and Cunners have spent more time in the rehab room during their time at Carlton than they have playing games.

If they weren't counting on that to continue then they weren't doing their due diligence. If betting sites were offering odds for it it would be $1.01
They got through the entire back end of the year, and the vast majority of pre season fine, then all went down at once

Both were attainable and could play in our best 22 alongside each other.

You need to pay for AFL quality especially up forward. That money instead gets put in front of Hayward a year later and they are a very similar quality of player. Unfortunately we aren’t going to get handed players like Elijah for nothing every offseason.
Give me Hayward 100x before giving me Gresham

They should go and recruit Scott Gumbleton and Anthony Morabito. Then we can undisputedly have the greatest team on paper.

Give me Hayward 100x before giving me Gresham

I don’t really have an opinion either way. Hayward better in the air, a bit more X factor but goes missing more often. Gresham finds more footy, can impact at stoppages, disposal probably not as good.

I find them very similar in quality but both types we need more of.

I will leave the Gresham discussion there. He is an * player now.

If the reports are true that we were looking at Gresham last year (until the $$ were too much), and Hayward this year, it's a fair indicator where our LM team see a clear deficiency - especially as we jagged Elijah during the last trade period.

I wouldn't at all be surprised if we were also having a hard look at Zurhaar - although there's little chance that Cook will sign off on overpaying either him or Hayward.

If the reports are true that we were looking at Gresham last year (until the $$ were too much), and Hayward this year, it's a fair indicator where our LM team see a clear deficiency - especially as we jagged Elijah during the last trade period.

I wouldn't at all be surprised if we were also having a hard look at Zurhaar - although there's little chance that Cook will sign off on overpaying either him or Hayward.
I doubt Zurhaar cares much for the cash, I'm not a massive fan of him, but he's said numerous times now that his main focus is success, whether it's at Norf or elsewhere.

Could easily spend the next 10 years cashing giant cheques at Norf without them batting an eyelid but he'd know if he's seeking success he won't be getting paid nearly as much on a good side.

I doubt Zurhaar cares much for the cash, I'm not a massive fan of him, but he's said numerous times now that his main focus is success, whether it's at Norf or elsewhere.

Could easily spend the next 10 years cashing giant cheques at Norf without them batting an eyelid but he'd know if he's seeking success he won't be getting paid nearly as much on a good side.
There'll be clubs like the druggies and the aints that'll be offering him a king's ransom, cos that's what they do.

I guess it just depends how he sees their lists if it comes down to seeking success, but I very much doubt we'll be offering nearly as much as those clubs no doubt will.

Personally, I have no idea what he's like as a footballer cos I don't watch any of their games unless we're playing them. But what I do know is that it appears we're looking for another forward as a FA or possible trade.

Only a very small group of us actually wanted Gresham. There was actually quite a lot of hostility when his name was even mentioned.

Will kick 30+ goals for the Bombers this year off a half forward flank, also providing plenty of presence at stoppages in the forward half.
Meanwhile we wait for our half forwards to return from injury to maybe play some AFL quality football for half a season.

Too many people focus on traits, personality, looks and incorrect perceptions instead of just looking at the players output.

Still feels like this is all based on some significant assumptions.

A) The Swans desperately want to keep him. They may not, and their contract offer may reflect that.
B) He wants to stay at the Swans. He may not, and if so there's no guarantee they even reach the point of tabling an offer.
C) That $100k a year is the required "extra" to prise him out. Seems like a conveniently round number, not one based on evidence.
D) That money will even be the deciding factor. Location, list profile, prospects for success, expected role, length of contract, teammates, coach etc. There are plenty of factors outside the dollar.

Agree that Moir and Hollands' performance this year may change things, but I reckon we'll be big into Hayward regardless given our lack of reliable forward options. And if we are, we won't be waiting til September to open discussions.

If we get him, I reckon it'll be on less than $700k a year.
The only evidence i go off when assuming what he or others will go for is, how many clubs will want him and how much premium have other free agents got in the past.

I think lots will want him.

Last year the * paid $700,000 for Gresham and more for McKay, Mcstay recently got $500,000 per year.

There is generally a premium paid for not having to use a draft pick

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The only evidence i go off when assuming what he or others will go for is, how many clubs will want him and how much premium have other free agents got in the past.

I think lots will want him.

Last year the * paid $700,000 for Gresham and more for McKay, Mcstay recently got $500,000 per year.

There is generally a premium paid for not having to use a draft pick
We signed George Hewett for 450k a year from the very club being discussed

We signed George Hewett for 450k a year from the very club being discussed

And it was a very good pick up, he was also on the outer at the Swans and the length of deal we offered him was questioned at the time, to me that suggests there want a heap of interest elsewhere.

Austin has had some good moments with players like this,

With hindsight Bobby Hill would have been perfect.
Still think the best way to solve our small forward issues is to put some lines into the GWS and Gold Coast pond.
Get involved with trading out a good player of excess needs(probably a medium defender), dump Marchy and maybe Martin plus Owies and both Durds(doubt if we'll find a home for a heavily contracted Young)

Bring in the Campo's and draft the best young KPP available.

We are going to need salary cap space for Eli next year and a sh1tload of good players on contracts below their true value the following year.
Of course I, and everybody else on this forum have absolutely no idea how much spare cash we have, but I think hitting the draft with semi-decent picks is the best short term plan.

We could chase Battle as a 3rd KPD, with Keeler developing nicely for Sandy, the Saints will let him go.
But I'd pay the price for a highish draft pick and grab the next Keeler or Jed Walter.
Keeler wasn't even a highish draft pick. I'm willing to call it and say that I'd rather have him on our list than Binns, who isn't quick and can't kick over a jam tin. I'd maybe even call the Buss over Hollands, too.

Why do we have a reticence over drafting KPPs at the moment? They are always hard to come by and aren't going to get any easier to find with Tassie coming into the competition. No, I'm not including Lemmey in this because he was only an afterthought to rub our nose in the point.

Keeler wasn't even a highish draft pick. I'm willing to call it and say that I'd rather have him on our list than Binns, who isn't quick and can't kick over a jam tin. I'd maybe even call the Buss over Hollands, too.

Why do we have a reticence over drafting KPPs at the moment? They are always hard to come by and aren't going to get any easier to find with Tassie coming into the competition. No, I'm not including Lemmey in this because he was only an afterthought to rub our nose in the point.
They are also very good 'investments' if we choose to part company.
I'd be happy to draft a quality x-factor FWD like the next Rachelle or ZDuursma instead.
The main point is to acquire at least 1 high level kid who plays a position of future need, instead of putting more strain on the salary cap.

I see this thread as a "fantasy list manager game", don't follow the U18's, so have no idea who the next stars are.
There are 2 roles at every club that have to look at listed players as commodities, to keep regenerating and protect their own careers.(senior coach and list manager)
It's why I'd ignore sentimentality and have just about every 29 year old+ player on the list under the microscope.(they still have trade value, but not for much longer)

Not a chance we gain the likes of Zurhaar

If he decides to leave North, they will match any reasonable offer to ensure they force the price up to gain a better compensation pick

We have a better chance of attracting a player from the likes of the Lions if they miss finals who have a tighter salary cap

Not a chance we gain the likes of Zurhaar

If he decides to leave North, they will match any reasonable offer to ensure they force the price up to gain a better compensation pick

We have a better chance of attracting a player from the likes of the Lions if they miss finals who have a tighter salary cap
No doubt Dodoro will juggle the books again so that North receive a 1st round pick as compensation, similar to B.McKay. Effectively means that they're likely to receive pick #2 for Zurhaar :drunk:

I agree though that we look at other teams' lists like Brissy. I reckon GCS will be ripe for the picking over the next few years as they need to sign these academy kids to new contracts. Their salary cap is going to be stretched to the limit. GWS possibly similar, although their depth of young players will no doubt have some looking for opportunities elsewhere.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back