Preview 2024 Mid Season Draft Prospects & Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

If we draft someone and they sit in the twos that’s not such a bad thing. I remember when we drafted Dawson and he was in the twos for a while but what it meant was Goater didn’t have to play a key back and it freed him up to play his natural game higher up the ground. Could draft a blight or a Howes and it takes the load off a Biggie or Moose, let’s Biggie play as a third tall defender or get the second or third best defender in the foward line for Moose.
Vfl bsckline currently has Dawson lienart biggy with pink playing last week instead of lienart. Biggy is already playing 3rd tall atm. Same as forward we currently have finbar and sellers so vfl structures are fine in that regard atm

Logue will definitely play in 2024.

Comben is a great 6 game-key defender. By the end of the season, he'll have had a great 20 games as a key defender.

Yes, K. Dawson is still 3 weeks away from returning. So what? That's still before the mid-season draft. And Will Dawson is developing nicely as an extremely young key back who has grown 20cm in 2 years. In 2 years time he could be a beast.

We also have Biggy, Pink, and Corr as tall defensive options.

It is highly unlikely that anyone we draft in the mid-season draft will be an absolute game-changer. If we get a really solid role player out of it that is a great result. Drafting another tall defender at this stage would be stupidity of the highest order.

Don't think big will stay on the list, pink if he can't make it as a fwd then its a cut.

Vfl bsckline currently has Dawson lienart biggy with pink playing last week instead of lienart. Biggy is already playing 3rd tall atm. Same as forward we currently have finbar and sellers so vfl structures are fine in that regard atm
It was just an example HJ, an extra player or two on any line will definitely help the club out whichever grade they play.

Logue wont play in 2024, comben is like 8 game as a defender, dawson is still 3 weeks out with ankle for 6 weeks.

We need to address defense first. As for fwd, vfl players wont do anything, see sellers. We need to throw big bag at a midtier key fwd who has some experience but not enough chance or a jarrad waite type opportunity.
Do you seriously think we are going to use picks in the MSD to deal with needs over the next 14 games as opposed to the next 8 years?

Do you seriously think we are going to use picks in the MSD to deal with needs over the next 14 games as opposed to the next 8 years?

It's not as black and white as that. The next 14 games are very relevant to the next 8 years, particularly if key players decide to **** off because we can't even put up a whimper against Richmond, Hawthorn, etc.

I'm hoping we go with Noah Howes as our first pick. Larkey is dying in the forward half without any support. Howe's is a big frame that at worst will offer more than CCJ did in the first handful of games and at best a second target and an ability to go into the ruck. on occasions. I don't know much about Scaife except that he won Bathurst a few times 👍

In regards to two players, Will Patton and Kobe Ryan, no recruiters at the moment have spoken to Kobe and two recruiters have spoken to Will, still a couple of weeks till the mid-season draft so plenty of time left yet for things to happen for them.:astonished:

In regards to two players, Will Patton and Kobe Ryan, no recruiters at the moment have spoken to Kobe and two recruiters have spoken to Will, still a couple of weeks till the mid-season draft so plenty of time left yet for things to happen for them.:astonished:

That’s perplexing to me. What’s ultimately the knock on Kobe? He is lightly built for an inside mid but he has shown that doesn’t matter as he is matching it and often beating more mature senior bodies at state league level. Has plenty of upside if he gets into an AFL environment.

That’s perplexing to me. What’s ultimately the knock on Kobe? He is lightly built for an inside mid but he has shown that doesn’t matter as he is matching it and often beating more mature senior bodies at state league level. Has plenty of upside if he gets into an AFL environment.
Don't know. I love Kobe and the only thing I can think of is that being so lightly built, at AFL level if he got crunched it would be all over. I for one don't agree with this assessment as he has the skills and agility to help him at the next level and considering lots of players who are playing at AFL level are very ordinary I think sometimes these type of players get missed for the little things, he's a very good player, knows how to kick the footy, not afraid to get in there and have a crack and has very good skills.

Adelaide need a couple of mids and I'm darn sure he would be a fan favourite after a pre season at a club, with his flowing blond hair and the way he goes about his stuff its just what they need, probably throw in St Kilda and Richmond as well. I know they have Taranto and Hopper but they need at least two good mids in that team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hmmmm could’ve taken him as an overager last year. He is skinny as, and will probably be a 2-3 year prospect. His games for Preston don’t exactly jump off the page.

The only reason he is being spoken about is because he took a hanger last week and it was all over twitter.

Don't know. I love Kobe and the only thing I can think of is that being so lightly built, at AFL level if he got crunched it would be all over. I for one don't agree with this assessment as he has the skills and agility to help him at the next level and considering lots of players who are playing at AFL level are very ordinary I think sometimes these type of players get missed for the little things, he's a very good player, knows how to kick the footy, not afraid to get in there and have a crack and has very good skills.

Adelaide need a couple of mids and I'm darn sure he would be a fan favourite after a pre season at a club, with his flowing blond hair and the way he goes about his stuff its just what they need, probably throw in St Kilda and Richmond as well. I know they have Taranto and Hopper but they need at least two good mids in that team.

From the outside looking in, I feel like many in AFL land, tend to focus in on a prospect's negative traits rather than focusing on all the positives they bring to the table. Kobe Ryan, Adam D'Aloia and Jed Hagan are perfect examples of that.

Kobe, little bit on the lighter framed side (but he could easily bulk up 3-4kg in an AFL environment. But they are overlooking his obvious game sense, footy IQ and ability to play the game. Good character, proven at state league level.

D'Aloia, a little bit on the less athletic side. Overlooking the kids game sense, footy IQ, leadership and willingness/drive to improve.

Hagan, on the shorter side. See above with D'Aloia.

I get that there are only so many list spots in the AFL, but far too often athletic profile is prioritized over natural footballing ability. It's unique game and so many facets of it aren't easily taught, so in some cases it makes sense to look at a kid who just knows how to play the game.

From the outside looking in, I feel like many in AFL land, tend to focus in on a prospect's negative traits rather than focusing on all the positives they bring to the table. Kobe Ryan, Adam D'Aloia and Jed Hagan are perfect examples of that.

Kobe, little bit on the lighter framed side (but he could easily bulk up 3-4kg in an AFL environment. But they are overlooking his obvious game sense, footy IQ and ability to play the game. Good character, proven at state league level.

D'Aloia, a little bit on the less athletic side. Overlooking the kids game sense, footy IQ, leadership and willingness/drive to improve.

Hagan, on the shorter side. See above with D'Aloia.

I get that there are only so many list spots in the AFL, but far too often athletic profile is prioritized over natural footballing ability. It's unique game and so many facets of it aren't easily taught, so in some cases it makes sense to look at a kid who just knows how to play the game.
What's odd is how many guys do get listed appearing to have no real AFL qualities then leave the system without a trace.

Conversely all these guys that are screaming for a chance often locked out for a long time (e.g. Lambert) or indefinitely.

Easy to say from the couch but still, I'd love clubs to release their "workings" government document style, 5 years after the fact to see how they arrived at certain outcomes.

What's odd is how many guys do get listed appearing to have no real AFL qualities then leave the system without a trace.

Conversely all these guys that are screaming for a chance often locked out for a long time (e.g. Lambert) or indefinitely.

Easy to say from the couch but still, I'd love clubs to release their "workings" government document style, 5 years after the fact to see how they arrived at certain outcomes.

It'd be an interesting test case that's for sure. I think scouts can really get attached to certain players because of highlights, or the need to prove themselves ect. For example I'd love to know the sway our QLD scouts had that resulted in us picking up Watson, Williams and Wagner.

Or what justification there was to pick up really plain footballers like Mitch Wilkins or Max Warren...

Coming to think of it maybe we should never draft anyone with a surname beginning with the letter 'W'

Don't know. I love Kobe and the only thing I can think of is that being so lightly built, at AFL level if he got crunched it would be all over. I for one don't agree with this assessment as he has the skills and agility to help him at the next level and considering lots of players who are playing at AFL level are very ordinary I think sometimes these type of players get missed for the little things, he's a very good player, knows how to kick the footy, not afraid to get in there and have a crack and has very good skills..
What do you think of his kicking?
I think we should all prepare the mid season injury cover draft is probably going to be used to cover an injury.
HBF and Tall then?

It'd be an interesting test case that's for sure. I think scouts can really get attached to certain players because of highlights, or the need to prove themselves ect. For example I'd love to know the sway our QLD scouts had that resulted in us picking up Watson, Williams and Wagner.

Or what justification there was to pick up really plain footballers like Mitch Wilkins or Max Warren...

Coming to think of it maybe we should never draft anyone with a surname beginning with the letter 'W'
Weirdly enough, I wondered yesterday where Jordan Dawson was drafted.......13 picks AFTER Wagner in 2015. Amazes me how clubs couldn't see Dawson's potential, his skillset is off the charts IMO

We ave 120 points against a game. We need a big KPD in the mid season draft. Here is the issue though, it doesn't matter who it is, they're going to be smashed each and every week, this then skews our opinion of him from the get go.

10 years ago, our best 22 was built around Wells, Waite and sWallow.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back