Training 2024 Pre-Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Hoping for more upcoming reports specifically on Heath, Van Es and this years recruits and how AFL ready they are tracking. Really appreciate those who do the writeups.

Also if Caminiti starts training with the defenders. Got high hopes he will come on strong in the coming seasons whatever position he plays.
I’m going to training Monday…will put a report up.

Harley Reid is a generational player, they’re already throwing marketing resources around him…face of their club!
Absolutely right - and if he performs as anticipated he will be the next Judd - the King of Perth - at the most financially strong AFL Club and with access to the most powerful businessmen in WA - if he has just a half smart manager he will be set for life by his mid 20s!

Some people say it’s a train wreck for him to go to the Eagles - I reckon he couldn’t have been luckier.

From memory that year we were offered picks 7 & 11 from GWS for our pick 1.
I remember this vividly, they had picks 4,6 and 7 and I believe they offered us all of them for our 1 and 21... Hindsight says it was stupid of us not to take it considering who we took at Pick 1... having said that they didn't do any better with who they took at those picks anyway (Pickett, Marchbank and Ahern).

Harley Reid is a generational player, they’re already throwing marketing resources around him…face of their club!

We had the greatest goal kicker of all time playing for us and the best we achieved while he was at the club was a prelim final. Chris Judd was probably their most sucessful draft pick taken at pick #3 - he spent 5 years in WA then returned to Vic, even after captaining the club and winning flags. What WCE did do well is when Judd left they really cashed in - perhaps thats there long term plan with Reid.

There is no doubt Reid is a special player - but 1 player doesnt make a club or win premierships something we have learnt over our 150 year existance. Whats to suggest he is going to be any better player than a combination of McKercher, Curtin, Duursma, Sanders possibly even Thostrup and Collard. Give me the latter every day...but its a subjective opinion.

Havent heard anything official, but seen a few murmurings about Sincs to full time mid.

Is this the go? I do like the idea, always been confused at out lack of genuine mid inclusions (trade & draft) in literally ten years now. Although we've just got Dow, I often mention Dunstan as the last genuine inside mid we've drafted. Of course others have scope to play there.

Anyway, does it leave our backs strong enough, I've already thought we're a touch light in the small/mid defender space, although perhaps it could work.

I reckon we always go a back 7 with 1 on the bench.

Howard/Cordy, Wilkie and Battle as the keys.
Nasiah, Webster, Windhager and Stocker/Paton as the smalls.
I thought Windy played some really good footy off half back last year, personally I’d love to see him and Sincs in a rotation on ball.

We had the greatest goal kicker of all time playing for us and the best we achieved while he was at the club was a prelim final. Chris Judd was probably their most sucessful draft pick taken at pick #3 - he spent 5 years in WA then returned to Vic, even after captaining the club and winning flags. What WCE did do well is when Judd left they really cashed in - perhaps thats there long term plan with Reid.

There is no doubt Reid is a special player - but 1 player doesnt make a club or win premierships something we have learnt over our 150 year existance. Whats to suggest he is going to be any better player than a combination of McKercher, Curtin, Duursma, Sanders possibly even Thostrup and Collard. Give me the latter every day...but its a subjective opinion.
While no one will argue that Reid is a special talent,I feel based on the season WC had they seriously needed multiple early picks and should have traded with NM or Melb for the offers those 2 clubs made
In my opinion our 2023 draft haul has provided us with clearly a much better group of players to take us forward than the Eagles selection,which they could and should have avoided.
While Reid looks likely to be a gun for them over the period of his 1st contract,WC because of their poor recruitment strategy will know need probably 2 or more good drafts to catch up to what they could have had this draft.
If they took the Demons proposal they most likely have Curtin,Collard for season2024 along with 2x 1st rounders at the next draft.
Even Trout wouldn't have done what Eagles done

Havent heard anything official, but seen a few murmurings about Sincs to full time mid.

Is this the go? I do like the idea, always been confused at out lack of genuine mid inclusions (trade & draft) in literally ten years now. Although we've just got Dow, I often mention Dunstan as the last genuine inside mid we've drafted. Of course others have scope to play there.

Anyway, does it leave our backs strong enough, I've already thought we're a touch light in the small/mid defender space, although perhaps it could work.

I reckon we always go a back 7 with 1 on the bench.

Howard/Cordy, Wilkie and Battle as the keys.
Nasiah, Webster, Windhager and Stocker/Paton as the smalls.
We tried Sinclair as a full time mid in the middle of the year and while he was good our back half ball movement fell off a cliff and we looked like we were playing 2006 football. I was the biggest Sinclair to midfield fan but unless there’s a gameplan change he’s too important in the backline.

I remember this vividly, they had picks 4,6 and 7 and I believe they offered us all of them for our 1 and 21... Hindsight says it was stupid of us not to take it considering who we took at Pick 1... having said that they didn't do any better with who they took at those picks anyway (Pickett, Marchbank and Ahern).
4 & 7 for 1 and 21 actually. Would have been OK if we had selected Petracca like most of us here and most normal clubs would have done.
There are arguments for many of our dubious picks, Billings over Bont, Coff and Clark in 2017, trading in 2019, but the McCartin over Petracca selection was indefensible. Not that Paddy couldn't have been a very good forward (except for concussions), it was just Petracca could have been the basis our midfield was built on.

Anyhoo all done a decade ago. Our drafting has improved significantly. NAZ and Pou as our first picks have already shown class. Windy and Chito has extreme promise, we have seen nothing of Keeler, Hotton, Van Es, and we have a whole new bunch in Collard, Hastie, Garcia, and Schoenmakers.

Seems we are loading up on youthful potential and have made some very canny selections.

Trout would have blown them anyway.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Under the arrangement, if a bid comes for a father-son or academy player in round one, a club would have to use a first-round pick to match. If the club had bids on two players in the opening round, they would need to use two first-round picks, either by trading for an extra selection or by using their future first-rounder.

This alternative scenario required that a club matching a bid on a player would have to use a pick no more than nine selections (half a round) later than when a bid arrived. If, for example, a bid came for a player at pick two and the club didn’t have a first-round selection until pick 15, they would need to trade up the order to obtain a pick no later than 11. Or the club would need to use pick 15 and their second-round pick.

were not worthy waynes world GIF

I'm big on the two picks only. I think the other solutions are.. slightly limited. It would mean, that, at minimum, clubs would need to hold the following for First round matches:

Pick 1: 12 & 13
Pick 2: 16 & 17
Pick 3: 20 & 21
Pick 4: 22 & 23
Pick 5: 24 & 25
Pick 6: 26 & 27
Pick 7: 28 & 29
Pick 8: 29 & 30
Pick 9: 31 & 32
Pick 10: 32 & 33
Pick 11: 34 & 35
Pick 12: 35 & 36
Pick 13: 36 & 37
Pick 14: 37 & 38
Pick 15: 38 & 39
Pick 16: 39 & 40
Pick 17: 40 & 41
Pick 18: 41 & 42

It doesn't fix "everything", but it does seriously narrow the range of what clubs can get away with (particularly the Suns and their oodles of unused extra list spots this season).

4 & 7 for 1 and 21 actually. Would have been OK if we had selected Petracca like most of us here and most normal clubs would have done.
There are arguments for many of our dubious picks, Billings over Bont, Coff and Clark in 2017, trading in 2019, but the McCartin over Petracca selection was indefensible. Not that Paddy couldn't have been a very good forward (except for concussions), it was just Petracca could have been the basis our midfield was built on.

Anyhoo all done a decade ago. Our drafting has improved significantly. NAZ and Pou as our first picks have already shown class. Windy and Chito has extreme promise, we have seen nothing of Keeler, Hotton, Van Es, and we have a whole new bunch in Collard, Hastie, Garcia, and Schoenmakers.

Seems we are loading up on youthful potential and have made some very canny selections.
Ahh Yep that's right.

I get reminded every year of our decision to not take Petracca via my Facebook memories of me going on a rant, on my own wall, about taking Mccartin instead. Maybe I should delete it next time it comes up 🤣

Agree with your last point. We're finally drafting better, and it makes the future look bright.

This pre-season thread sure has a lot of talk about ten year old draft picks in it.
Just have to write off the whole period for good. All those players are gone now. Prime Ablett could have been at our basket case club at that point in time and it wouldn't have made a difference (see: Gold Coast) so there's no point lingering on whether bringing in one 18 year old over another would have made any difference. Onward and upward.

I'm big on the two picks only. I think the other solutions are.. slightly limited. It would mean, that, at minimum, clubs would need to hold the following for First round matches:

Pick 1: 12 & 13
Pick 2: 16 & 17
Pick 3: 20 & 21
Pick 4: 22 & 23
Pick 5: 24 & 25
Pick 6: 26 & 27
Pick 7: 28 & 29
Pick 8: 29 & 30
Pick 9: 31 & 32
Pick 10: 32 & 33
Pick 11: 34 & 35
Pick 12: 35 & 36
Pick 13: 36 & 37
Pick 14: 37 & 38
Pick 15: 38 & 39
Pick 16: 39 & 40
Pick 17: 40 & 41
Pick 18: 41 & 42

It doesn't fix "everything", but it does seriously narrow the range of what clubs can get away with (particularly the Suns and their oodles of unused extra list spots this season).
I don’t understand this.
Are you saying that to match a bid at pick 9, you don’t need pick 18 or better, but picks 31 and 32?

That is so not so. Kid wanted to get out of WA and away from bad influences, or so I am led to believe.

WA and bad influences?
Rashida Tlaib Lead GIF by GIPHY News

Remove this Banner Ad

Back