Training 2024 Pre-Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Windy did his first year apprenticeship tagging through the midfield, comes back for his 3rd season ripped, given the no. 2

Excited Arrested Development GIF

Time 2 staunch tha comp

I read that Melbournians are happier than Queenslanders, especially North Qld I think.
Maybe coz you can't swim in the ocean there?
But also, you can go troppo in the tropics.
My Fijian brain was fair dinkum scrambled in North Queensland by the contrasting picturesque allure of the ocean and it’s ever present danger to anyone who gets too close.

IMG_8350.jpeg IMG_8355.jpeg

Does going troppo include lots of alcohol and boozy, sweaty sex? One could aspire to go through that, you know.

anyone went to training ?
I did and I'll have a crack at a bit of a report, albeit I could only stay for an hour of actual training - training started at 11.30!

Initially players were split into 2 groups - the main training group and what I would call, for want of a better classification, the rehab group. This group consisted of 12 players. Those I could pick out (as it was on the other side of the ground) were 1, 3, 10, 12, 31, 34 (Garcia), 43 & 47. This group mainly focused on some running drills and some light kicking.

The main group started off with a light tackling drill, followed by a ball use kicking drill. The bulk of this group then split into 2 groups that concentrated on ball use by hand and foot. At this point, the draftees split off into their own small group doing light kicking/handball stuff. I didn't watch them very closely, as I was concentrating on the main group, so I can't really comment on any specifics.

The main group, consisting of about 20 players - including Sharman and Jones, who had joined from the rehab group; and 4 Sandy players - then did a drill in using the ball both in defensive and forward movements. Every time there was a turnover or missed kick - the drill stopped and started again. It was the consensus of the group I was with that our ball use had improved quite a bit from last preseason. IMO the standouts during this drill were Nas, Pou and Stocker, with Allison as an honourable mention!! :oops:

Between drills, the players did goal kicking practice. At various stages, Owens, King and Jones ran laps. Keeler went off at one stage during training, but came back on and then ran laps with McLennan. All the coaches were there - RTB, BJ, Boris, Lenny, Carroll and Batchelor. As I was leaving, I saw Hotton, Higgins, Caminiti and Garcia pedalling furiously on the bikes!

Those missing, or who I didn't see, from today's training were 5, 8, 9, 11, 16, 18, 19, 20, 21, 28, 29, 32, 33, 35 & 44. We were reliably told that Hayes will hopefully be back on the track before Christmas!

I did and I'll have a crack at a bit of a report, albeit I could only stay for an hour of actual training - training started at 11.30!

Initially players were split into 2 groups - the main training group and what I would call, for want of a better classification, the rehab group. This group consisted of 12 players. Those I could pick out (as it was on the other side of the ground) were 1, 3, 10, 12, 31, 34 (Garcia), 43 & 47. This group mainly focused on some running drills and some light kicking.

The main group started off with a light tackling drill, followed by a ball use kicking drill. The bulk of this group then split into 2 groups that concentrated on ball use by hand and foot. At this point, the draftees split off into their own small group doing light kicking/handball stuff. I didn't watch them very closely, as I was concentrating on the main group, so I can't really comment on any specifics.

The main group, consisting of about 20 players - including Sharman and Jones, who had joined from the rehab group; and 4 Sandy players - then did a drill in using the ball both in defensive and forward movements. Every time there was a turnover or missed kick - the drill stopped and started again. It was the consensus of the group I was with that our ball use had improved quite a bit from last preseason. IMO the standouts during this drill were Nas, Pou and Stocker, with Allison as an honourable mention!! :oops:

Between drills, the players did goal kicking practice. At various stages, Owens, King and Jones ran laps. Keeler went off at one stage during training, but came back on and then ran laps with McLennan. All the coaches were there - RTB, BJ, Boris, Lenny, Carroll and Batchelor. As I was leaving, I saw Hotton, Higgins, Caminiti and Garcia pedalling furiously on the bikes!

Those missing, or who I didn't see, from today's training were 5, 8, 9, 11, 16, 18, 19, 20, 21, 28, 29, 32, 33, 35 & 44. We were reliably told that Hayes will hopefully be back on the track before Christmas!
Nice work mate!!

Some observations from training:

-Brad Hill was there early, did about 45 mins of running a long time before anyone else was out there.

-King, Owens, Jones, Van Es all doing laps together. They stuck together for most of the day doing runs for about 45 mins and then some light kicking drills while the rest of the group did proper higher intensity drills. I guess load management for these guys.

2 groups in a tackling/agility exercise:
-Ball handballed to a player who has to try and step around oppo.
-Dow was good with his footwork and hands, Battle was the strongest tackler, let nobody past him, and Henry had a really nice step.

Longer Kicking Drill:
-
25m or so to each other on the run.
-Some ripping stab kicks from Stocker and Nas.
-Some...not great kicks from a couple going 10m over teammates head.

Small 5v5 green vs plain:
-Ball was thrown into congestion, plain team to link up through the congestion one way to the cones about 10m away, then back through the 'corridor' where the defending team was blocking and pressing.
-Plain team goes through congested corridor using running and hands, then gets it to an outside runner who kicks i50 at a leading player.
-Stocker was very good defensively in this drill, he corralled and pressured the best out of those that I saw, but was not particularly good offensively. He missed 2/3 handballs, was frustrated with himself. Side note: he is very vocal, does a lot of directing. Asks players to get in receiving oppo's eyeline to make it harder, explains to teammates why their positioning was causing a turnover due to lack of outlets after being forced to the sideline. Was good to see.
-Windhager was the best here offensively for mine, he is creative and accurate by hand in traffic.
-Red head sandy lad, Ollie Lowe, has a great kick on him. I said it last week, too. Hit a 40m bullet running out of traffic, inside 50 to a leading up Nas.

Half field 10v10:
-Simple move the ball one end to the other, like a mini half field match sim.
-I noticed Keeler was involved a fair bit which surprised me, even through the guts. Has some leap on him.
-Henry wasn't being used a whole lot in this drill, was calling a lot but wasn't getting used. He did run up and down the 'wings' repeatedly though and kept working.
-Windhanger standout again, looks so fit. Others were tiring as the drill was repeated several times, and he looked fresh. Clean and accurate by hand and foot, is a very well rounded player.

Another 10v10 in a... 50m square?
-Pou's decision making was quite poor in this, and his execution was too. He missed multiple handballs, and couldn't decide where to kick a few times, ending in him being caught. Ross yelled from the boundary to use his first outlet option. Pou looked a bit frustrated but continued to go hard. Sharman must've said something to him because when Pou pressured Sharmo into dropping an easy mark, he let him know about it lol bit of a competitor the lad. Worked back into it okay eventually.
-Seb Ross was quite good, had a really nice creative kick to break defensive zone.
-Allison surprisingly was quite good and noticeable, had quick feet under pressure... not something I've said before.
-Dow was nice in the middle, created 2 turnovers and intercepted another through his pressure and positioning.
-Windy, Nas, and Stocker created the most defensive rebound drive.

Draftees:
-Initially did a mock defensive pressure drill.
-Ground ball thrown at them, had to gather and step around incoming corralling defensive player, and get a kick off.
-Wilson is so agile, turned Irish lad O'Connell inside out on the boundary.
-Collard had good awareness of where his teammates where, allowed him to get kicks off, and hit a nice one 30m-40mish.
-Schoey is a pretty big kid, but was moving pretty well
-They then did timed runs as a group. Wilson set the pace, doing it so so easily compared to the other lads. O'connell generally ran 2nd behind him.
-Collard is going to need some work on his tank, sat last in the pack, but after a few repeated, hard-run, 200m's he ended up about 100m behind Wilson (fresh as a daisy still lol).
-Schoey did well to hold pace just behind lead. They were pushing the pace too.
-Looking at Wilson's running, he could near on win our time trial... is an unreal runner. Had plenty in the tank when others were on their haunches. Even chatted to the coaches as they ran past. He really got around the others at the end of each 200m too, especially Collard.

Many of the other players were doing repeat 200's as well, at a serious pace. They were really pushing each other. Some really exhausted looking players.
-Pou looked cooked but was holding pace with Ronnie the whole time, a really good sign for his fitness.
-Coops sagging a bit behind, and Dow at the back of the pack but going okay.

Cheers.

-Brad Hill was there early, did about 45 mins of running a long time before anyone else was out there.

-King, Owens, Jones, Van Es all doing laps together. They stuck together for most of the day doing runs for about 45 mins and then some light kicking drills while the rest of the group did proper higher intensity drills. I guess load management for these guys.

-Dow was good with his footwork and hands, Battle was the strongest tackler, let nobody past him, and Henry had a really nice step.

Longer Kicking Drill:
-

-Ball was thrown into congestion, plain team to link up through the congestion one way to the cones about 10m away, then back through the 'corridor' where the defending team was blocking and pressing.
-Plain team goes through congested corridor using running and hands, then gets it to an outside runner who kicks i50 at a leading player.
-Stocker was very good defensively in this drill, he corralled and pressured the best out of those that I saw, but was not particularly good offensively. He missed 2/3 handballs, was frustrated with himself. Side note: he is very vocal, does a lot of directing. Asks players to get in receiving oppo's eyeline to make it harder, explains to teammates why their positioning was causing a turnover due to lack of outlets after being forced to the sideline. Was good to see.
-Windhager was the best here offensively for mine, he is creative and accurate by hand in traffic.
-Red head sandy lad, Ollie Lowe, has a great kick on him. I said it last week, too. Hit a 40m bullet running out of traffic, inside 50 to a leading up Nas.

Half field 10v10:
-I noticed Keeler was involved a fair bit which surprised me, even through the guts. Has some leap on him.
-Henry wasn't being used a whole lot in this drill, was calling a lot but wasn't getting used. He did run up and down the 'wings' repeatedly though and kept working.
-Windhanger standout again, looks so fit. Others were tiring as the drill was repeated several times, and he looked fresh. Clean and accurate by hand and foot, is a very well rounded player.

-Pou's decision making was quite poor in this, and his execution was too. He missed multiple handballs, and couldn't decide where to kick a few times, ending in him being caught. Ross yelled from the boundary to use his first outlet option. Pou looked a bit frustrated but continued to go hard. Sharman must've said something to him because when Pou pressured Sharmo into dropping an easy mark, he let him know about it lol bit of a competitor the lad. Worked back into it okay eventually.
-Seb Ross was quite good, had a really nice creative kick to break defensive zone.
-Allison surprisingly was quite good and noticeable, had quick feet under pressure... not something I've said before.
-Dow was nice in the middle, created 2 turnovers and intercepted another through his pressure and positioning.

Draftees:
-Ground ball thrown at them, had to gather and step around incoming corralling defensive player, and get a kick off.
-Collard had good awareness of where his teammates where, allowed him to get kicks off, and hit a nice one 30m-40mish.
-They then did timed runs as a group. Wilson set the pace, doing it so so easily compared to the other lads. O'connell generally ran 2nd behind him.
-Collard is going to need some work on his tank, sat last in the pack, but after a few repeated, hard-run, 200m's he ended up about 100m behind Wilson (fresh as a daisy still lol).
-Looking at Wilson's running, he could near on win our time trial... is an unreal runner. Had plenty in the tank when others were on their haunches. Even chatted to the coaches as they ran past. He really got around the others at the end of each 200m too, especially Collard.

Many of the other players were doing repeat 200's as well, at a serious pace. They were really pushing each other. Some really exhausted looking players.
-Pou looked cooked but was holding pace with Ronnie the whole time, a really good sign for his fitness.

Cheers.
Excellent report, very succinct and comprehensive…many thanks

Draftees:

Cheers.
That is exciting for me to hear as Coops was one of our best runners last preseason. Being the optimist I am thinking our tanks have improved, or maybe they have just moved Coops up to a more elite running group (not even contemplating him dropping fitness).

Coops sagging a bit behind

That is exciting for me to hear as Coops was one of our best runners last preseason. Being the optimist I am thinking our tanks have improved, or maybe they have just moved Coops up to a more elite running group (not even contemplating him dropping fitness).

To be fair the suit did slow him down a bit

Bi2UMMI.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, he wasn't way behind or anything but constantly remained at the back of the pack, and it was a strong running group I believe. Ronnie was in it.

My Fijian brain was fair dinkum scrambled in North Queensland by the contrasting picturesque allure of the ocean and it’s ever present danger to anyone who gets too close.

View attachment 1863993View attachment 1863994

Does going troppo include lots of alcohol and boozy, sweaty sex? One could aspire to go through that, you know.
Any Achtung signs? Crocodiles love
Germans apparently.

Longer Kicking Drill:
-

Half field 10v10:

Draftees:

Cheers.
Agree with this from the limited amount I saw. Windy in everything. I saw one or two of those with Pou, but in the in tight exercise he was Bont like with ability to get out of a phone box and give hands. His kicking is sublime.

Agree on collard. At this point it’s not just outcome, but he doesn’t look overly enthused yet, which contrasts a lot with the other draftees.

Dow and Henry should bring a lot to the team.

Agree with this from the limited amount I saw. Windy in everything. I saw one or two of those with Pou, but in the in tight exercise he was Bont like with ability to get out of a phone box and give hands. His kicking is sublime.

Agree on collard. At this point it’s not just outcome, but he doesn’t look overly enthused yet, which contrasts a lot with the other draftees.

Dow and Henry should bring a lot to the team.

I agree re: Collard.

I've been trying to not 'overthink' it or judge too much because it can be really hard to tell from the outside, you never know what someone is thinking. But... compared to the others he really does not seem that interested. Isn't running as hard, stops his runs a little early before the rest of them, has little shots at goal while the others get to the next drill, and went in a little earlier than others too.

Nothing major, but just adds up.

Hope he's going alright and adjusting. Seemed to have people get around him.

I'd love for him to buy in - early days though. Plenty of time.

View attachment 1863993View attachment 1863994

Port Douglas or the Daintree for the photos Cursing?

A great report there Scoop........very detailed and very enlightening.

I agree re: Collard.

I've been trying to not 'overthink' it or judge too much because it can be really hard to tell from the outside, you never know what someone is thinking. But... compared to the others he really does not seem that interested. Isn't running as hard, stops his runs a little early before the rest of them, has little shots at goal while the others get to the next drill, and went in a little earlier than others too.

Nothing major, but just adds up.

Hope he's going alright and adjusting. Seemed to have people get around him.

I'd love for him to buy in - early days though. Plenty of time.
Very early days and he’s arrived to the crappiest of weather (mightn’t sound like a big deal but when you’re trying to settle in and avoid homesickness it doesn’t help)

Anyway it looks like the boys are doing their best to help him settle in 👍🏻

dTXrEb7.jpg

1QJuonj.jpg

I saw one or two of those with Pou, but in the in tight exercise he was Bont like with ability to get out of a phone box and give hands. His kicking is sublime
Absolutely agree there Tommy........I saw 3 passages where in very heavy/tight traffic.....he executed the handball or kick precisely to the intended target.

To say I was impressed would be an understatement.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back