News 2024 Preseason Matches & Training Reports

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Headed down to training this morning. Shirt and shorts were an awful choice, very windy.

They started off with match sim, seemed to be about 10-15 minute quarters, wasn’t keeping track. Few players missing LDU didn’t play, but joined in with skills and running after. Seemed to be a good level of intensity. Xerri got a bake off Tom Lynch at one stage for sling tackling and dumping PC hard into the ground. Greenwood got a bake a few times from Clarko for his decision making, few expletives yelled across the ground. All in all it was ok, conditions weren’t great for a showcase on skills.

Some observations on individuals:

• Wardlaw: just an absolutely terrific footballer to watch. Was probably the standout for me today. His inside work was fantastic, plenty of fends and spins out of traffic. Looks great.
  • Fisher: sprayed a few but was very vocal across half back getting everyone into position.
  • Scott: likewise very, very vocal. Played defence all 4 quarters and looked very good rebounding from defence.
  • Sheezel: rotated off half back into the middle repeatedly. To say he looks in great shape is an understatement. Has worked hard.
  • Stephens: very impressive. Rotated through half back, wing and half forward. When he played on the wing he dropped back regularly as a loose behind the ball. Was clean in traffic and kicked it well.
  • Goater: played back the entire sim. Few nice intercepts and used the ball pretty well imo. Clarko would call set plays at random times, everytime he called for a d50 set play it was Goats taking the kick.
  • Phillips: very solid, probably up there with Wardlaw as the pick of the day.
  • McKercher: first time watching in person, incredibly quick and a hard runner. Sprayed one kick a mile out of bounds but then from there on was super clean. Will be a weapon off half back, stocked up on a lot of one-twos and broke lines.
  • Zurhaar hurt his ankle in the second, got strapped and came back on to start the 3rd.
  • Ford, done an ankle or calf at the end of the second. Sat on the bench for rest of the day.

They then split them into 3 groups of 10 and divided the ground in half length ways (few boys that missed the sim joined in here LDU, Cooper, Free, CCJ etc). Two groups started and one had to transition and one had to get the turnover whoever lost had to sprint to the other half of the ground and get the turnover on the 3rd team and the loser just had to keep busting their arse across the ground repeatedly, impressive drill to watch. The players were absolutely cooked after this, especially the pink team who couldn’t get a turnover from about 6-7 run throughs at one stage.

And then end to end run throughs, first years were pulled from doing this. Similar to a beep test but they got to stop for 5/10 seconds at each end. They started dropping off one by one from where I was watching Stevo was the first to throw in the towel, was trailing the early runs. The far side of the ground was left to Sheez, Shiels and Tucker being the only ones still going with Shiels end up being the last man standing. And the side closest to me Kal Dawson and 2 vfl boys were the last standing in the second group (Downie was one, unsure the other).

Finished off with some goal kicking, but the wind was a nightmare so not worth looking into tbh.

Ask away on individuals..

Edit: there was a young lad playing they were either calling him Lordy or Lloydy. Whoever it was had some really nice moments. Don’t know if he’s a vfl listed player or not.
A+ for doing great detail reports.

Every club and every player is training the house down.

More gives you an idea of who is playing where and what their role looks like. Also in some cases who is standing out as well as any injuries. Also players on modified training programs.

Haha. The report is not my own. Just wasn't sure if you are allowed to quote someone's post and name them on a different board?
No, it's not allowed ....unless you have permission of the originating poster of the Training Report

And always ensure you give credit for the report

What is the go with Dempsey I have heard a couple of Cats supporters big on him next year
Every chance of playing some more games now he's bulked up a bit. Highly skilled who has elite endurance and a big bag of tricks. I'd say 2025 is more his calling.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Every chance of playing some more games now he's bulked up a bit. Highly skilled who has elite endurance and a big bag of tricks. I'd say 2025 is more his calling.
Reckon Clark and Stevens get enough games to be worth it?

Tom Stewart expects to spend more time in the midfield.
I call BS on this one, he'll be seagulling like normal.

Re-posted with permission granted by the author.

Headed down to training this morning. Shirt and shorts were an awful choice, very windy.

They started off with match sim, seemed to be about 10-15 minute quarters, wasn’t keeping track. Few players missing LDU didn’t play, but joined in with skills and running after. Seemed to be a good level of intensity. Xerri got a bake off Tom Lynch at one stage for sling tackling and dumping PC hard into the ground. Greenwood got a bake a few times from Clarko for his decision making, few expletives yelled across the ground. All in all it was ok, conditions weren’t great for a showcase on skills.

Some observations on individuals:

• Wardlaw: just an absolutely terrific footballer to watch. Was probably the standout for me today. His inside work was fantastic, plenty of fends and spins out of traffic. Looks great.
  • Fisher: sprayed a few but was very vocal across half back getting everyone into position.
  • Scott: likewise very, very vocal. Played defence all 4 quarters and looked very good rebounding from defence.
  • Sheezel: rotated off half back into the middle repeatedly. To say he looks in great shape is an understatement. Has worked hard.
  • Stephens: very impressive. Rotated through half back, wing and half forward. When he played on the wing he dropped back regularly as a loose behind the ball. Was clean in traffic and kicked it well.
  • Goater: played back the entire sim. Few nice intercepts and used the ball pretty well imo. Clarko would call set plays at random times, everytime he called for a d50 set play it was Goats taking the kick.
  • Phillips: very solid, probably up there with Wardlaw as the pick of the day.
  • McKercher: first time watching in person, incredibly quick and a hard runner. Sprayed one kick a mile out of bounds but then from there on was super clean. Will be a weapon off half back, stocked up on a lot of one-twos and broke lines.
  • Zurhaar hurt his ankle in the second, got strapped and came back on to start the 3rd.
  • Ford, done an ankle or calf at the end of the second. Sat on the bench for rest of the day.

They then split them into 3 groups of 10 and divided the ground in half length ways (few boys that missed the sim joined in here LDU, Cooper, Free, CCJ etc). Two groups started and one had to transition and one had to get the turnover whoever lost had to sprint to the other half of the ground and get the turnover on the 3rd team and the loser just had to keep busting their arse across the ground repeatedly, impressive drill to watch. The players were absolutely cooked after this, especially the pink team who couldn’t get a turnover from about 6-7 run throughs at one stage.

And then end to end run throughs, first years were pulled from doing this. Similar to a beep test but they got to stop for 5/10 seconds at each end. They started dropping off one by one from where I was watching Stevo was the first to throw in the towel, was trailing the early runs. The far side of the ground was left to Sheez, Shiels and Tucker being the only ones still going with Shiels end up being the last man standing. And the side closest to me Kal Dawson and 2 vfl boys were the last standing in the second group (Downie was one, unsure the other).

Finished off with some goal kicking, but the wind was a nightmare so not worth looking into tbh.

Ask away on individuals..

Edit: there was a young lad playing they were either calling him Lordy or Lloydy. Whoever it was had some really nice moments. Don’t know if he’s a vfl listed player or not.

The post author still needs to provide approval ....it's a courtesy, as a different board starts discussing their post

If you like, it's similar to your username being discussed in a post ...and you not being given the courtesy of being tagged

The post author still needs to provide approval ....it's a courtesy, as a different board starts discussing their post

If you like, it's similar to your username being discussed in a post ...and you not being given the courtesy of being tagged
happy to support what rules you set. but within bigfooty, as long as its linked to the op, either via quote or link, then it should be fair game.

lots of gold info floating around these boards. wouldn't want to make it hard to share. i think taking the courtesy to share the source (with one easy click), is courteous enough.

I hope i've done it correctly this time as i've never done that before?

Just thinking it might be a good idea if you could add the correct procedure to quoting training reports in my op?

Macrae. Must have had close to 20 possessions in 45-minutes of match-play. His blocking, tackling and strength + composure in close reminds us all of why he is one of the most underrated players in the game
The only one who under rates Macrae is Bevo... great hff player he sees him as.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back