Preview 2024 Rd 10 Carlton v Sydney Friday 17th May 7:40PM AEST @ SCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team is in …

IN:
Jack Carroll, Orazio Fantasia, Caleb Marchbank, Zac Williams
OUT: Adam Cerra (hamstring), Matthew Cottrell (foot), Jack Martin (calf), Lachie Cowan

Round 10 team v Sydney
Backs:Brodie KempJacob WeiteringAlex Cincotta
Half-backs:Caleb MarchbankMitch McGovernNic Newman
Centreline:Zac WilliamsPatrick CrippsBlake Acres
Half-forwards:Ollie HollandsTom De KoningElijah Hollands
Forwards:Harry McKayCharlie CurnowMatthew Owies
Followers:Marc PittonetSam WalshMatthew Kennedy
Interchange:Jordan BoydJack CarrollOrazio Fantasia
Corey DurdinGeorge Hewett
Emergencies:Lachlan CowanJaxon BinnsLewis Young

Out: Durdin, Cerra
In: Cuningham, Carroll

Marchbank could replace kemp who made some very poor decisions.

Newman may be looked at MR.

Cowan was poor but Durdin was worse.

How is Williams, Motlop and Fogarty going??
Kemp should never be dropped again
Took a few contested marks and takes the game on
He is part of the future, get games into him
Those mistakes will get fewer…

Kemp was good.
He made some terrible decisions but he’s a young defender, the only way that improves is by playing. And he did some fantastic things, he’s clearly got it. If you consider he’s played a handful of games, in what is effectively a new position for him, he’s doing great.

He just needs to get older and size will come. Really happy with both Dutchlanders
Ollie Does a lot right. BUT, takes forever to get the ball from hand to foot. We work so hard to get the ball to the outside, and we are OUT with space opening up everywhere forward of the ball. He gets himself 4-5 steps clear and STILL manages to be dragged down, caught holding the ball. Happens 2-3 times a week. It’s a killer and bloody frustrating

He just needs to get older and size will come. Really happy with both Dutchlanders
You’re really happy with how easily he gets run down, takes forever to dispose of the ball and has terrible efficiency.

He almost single handily played Melbourne back into the game with his play on that second half.

I think he has the makings of a player but is being gifted games and is a total liability.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought Ollie was pretty good last night. No doubt some things he needs to work on but I thought that was his best game of the season.

9 disposals in the first when we dominated was pretty telling.

1 disposal in the 4th was equally telling.
Got ran down about 4-5 times it seemed. Needs to move the ball on quicker but good to see he's atleast trying to lower the eyes as opposed to joining in with the inside mids of bombing it high and long

Easy to forget Ollie is still young and raw. In a team like Geelong he probably gets held over for a couple years to develop and mature a bit before being brought in. A luxury we often haven't had.

Petracca goals came against a loose checking McGov.
McGov is too interested in going the intercept rather than defending his player.
Thank God we had Weiters and Kemp back there to stop the others.
That first goal looked like it was going way over petraccas head, but even still mcgovern should've taken the mark over him...

Hopefully cuners has a good game tonight.
Imo I’d bring him in for cez if he goes ok tonight.
Give him the chance at a decent run through the middle. I’d say to him ‘here’s your chance to solidify your midfield spot if u want it’!
He needs to grab the opportunity(if he gets one) now, as mots and fog will be there a bouts very soon.

Got ran down about 4-5 times it seemed. Needs to move the ball on quicker but good to see he's atleast trying to lower the eyes as opposed to joining in with the inside mids of bombing it high and long
I think that'll come.

There was also a sequence of play that Langdon made him look a bit silly - won the ball and then ran around him like he wasn't there - that's the difference between a young player and a seasoned player though. It'll come.

Hopefully we have some hands coming up for this game.

Williams, Marchbank and Motlop will be all chances. In the VFL Cuningham, Carroll, Fantasia, Binns and Wilson will be looking to produce some good footy for a crack at the senior side.

Swans, especially at home is the biggest challenge in football. We will have to be good to get the win up there.

Last season the challenge was laid down to beat all comers and top sides to make finals and we did. Now that challenge is laid down to make finals and make top 4. Can we do that? Are we good enough to push the top 4? We we need to beat more top 4 quality sides to do that.

I am a firm believer that going back to best 22 is important.

Williams, Motlop and Marchbank IMO will be heavily considered. Motlop is probably going to come back via the reserves. Marchbank depending on his form may need one more VFL game and Williams should come straight back in. But who knows. Players have returned straight back from long lay offs and performed.

McGovern Weitering Newman
Cincotta Marchbank Boyd
Hollands Cripps Acres
Hollands McKay Cottrell
Motlop Curnow Martin
Pittonet Walsh Kennedy
Williams Hewett DeKoning Owies
Kemp

IN: Williams Motlop Marchbank
OUT: Cowan Durdin Cerra

I think we might go with a side like this. Kemp I would like to see used as a utility. Midfield is going to really get tested for pace. Motlop may not be ready to come straight back. Hoping Marchbank is. He just fits into our defence really well and combines really well with Weitering and McGovern. Williams should be fresh after a week off. I'm not convinced around two ruckmen even though they were good against Melbourne. We still ran out of run and they have not worked previously. If it looks poor in this game we have to scrap it.

I don't like Kennedy and Hewett spending time in the same midfield. It doesn't work. Would much prefer we use someone else like Carroll, Cuningham, Williams or even Kemp. But that is how I think we will go.

I still think Kemp should be used on a wing. Our as a utility. Plays midfield and other positions. He's an offensive player we are trying to use as a defensive player. I would not be against using Williams as a utility and giving him some time in the middle. He's fit and he adds something the midfield will lack this week, could keep Kemp back in this case.

Right now I prefer Kennedy in the midfield over Hewett. Kennedy may get less touches overall, but he has mort impact with the touches he does have. Feel Kennedy plays slightly stronger physicality-wise, a more penetrating kick and a strong mark too.
Midfield can be a little too handball happy when we a combination of Cripps, Hewett and Carroll running through.

Walsh, Cerra and Kennedy are good for moving the ball forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back