Preview 2024 Rd 10 Carlton v Sydney Friday 17th May 7:40PM AEST @ SCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team is in …

IN:
Jack Carroll, Orazio Fantasia, Caleb Marchbank, Zac Williams
OUT: Adam Cerra (hamstring), Matthew Cottrell (foot), Jack Martin (calf), Lachie Cowan

Round 10 team v Sydney
Backs:Brodie KempJacob WeiteringAlex Cincotta
Half-backs:Caleb MarchbankMitch McGovernNic Newman
Centreline:Zac WilliamsPatrick CrippsBlake Acres
Half-forwards:Ollie HollandsTom De KoningElijah Hollands
Forwards:Harry McKayCharlie CurnowMatthew Owies
Followers:Marc PittonetSam WalshMatthew Kennedy
Interchange:Jordan BoydJack CarrollOrazio Fantasia
Corey DurdinGeorge Hewett
Emergencies:Lachlan CowanJaxon BinnsLewis Young

I would give Williams the role Martin plays

I think he could play half-forward in the same type of role that Cuningham/Fantasia were supposed to do, and Cottrell did (before going back to the wing).

Starting as a HFF who can push up to the contest as an extra midfielder would be a good option. The Swans defenders are fine but if any of their defenders other than Florent went to Williams then taking them to the midfield would be a good trade-off and create space. Their talls are undersized and the more space we have to McKay and Curnow the better. If Florent does stick with him then he goes deep into the pocket and plays a defensive role, also well within his wheelhouse.

Our big problem in this one is the wings, IMO. Acres is a good matchup for McInerney but that leaves Hollands alone against Gulden. Tag-teaming with Cottrell might have worked nicely but geez that's a mad one if we leave it that way. I don't really see the alternative there, though, unless we take a risk and send Walsh out to the wing (and gamble a bit more in the center). Or we just try to beat their midfield by more than their wings destroy us, which isn't a terrible option on the SCG.

Wow that's 2 for 2 with Cunners and Martin. Long absence - rushed straight back into the AFL team both play ordinary games then immediately reinjure their calf the next week.

What in the name of God is going on at the club? Severe mismanagement / incompetence is the rule not the exception.

Completely different paths, for their returns

I think he could play half-forward in the same type of role that Cuningham/Fantasia were supposed to do, and Cottrell did (before going back to the wing).

Starting as a HFF who can push up to the contest as an extra midfielder would be a good option. The Swans defenders are fine but if any of their defenders other than Florent went to Williams then taking them to the midfield would be a good trade-off and create space. Their talls are undersized and the more space we have to McKay and Curnow the better. If Florent does stick with him then he goes deep into the pocket and plays a defensive role, also well within his wheelhouse.

Our big problem in this one is the wings, IMO. Acres is a good matchup for McInerney but that leaves Hollands alone against Gulden. Tag-teaming with Cottrell might have worked nicely but geez that's a mad one if we leave it that way. I don't really see the alternative there, though, unless we take a risk and send Walsh out to the wing (and gamble a bit more in the center). Or we just try to beat their midfield by more than their wings destroy us, which isn't a terrible option on the SCG.
Contested footy is the go at SCG, first use will enable fast F50 entries which might be our best chance

Really? Interestingly the exact same outcome so who cares?

We're watching a train wreck in slow motion right now any way you look at it. In a couple of weeks we won't have enough players to fill a team.
Yes really. Cuners played AFL then dropped, and did another calf a week later in the VFL, different to Martin

Wouldn't you say a good starting point is cutting the same injury prone players?

Yes really. Cuners played AFL then dropped, and did another calf a week later in the VFL, different to Martin

Wouldn't you say a good starting point is cutting the same injury prone players?

Yeah Cunners just has to go unfortunately. Marchbank too. Love both as players but we have to find some more consistent replacements. Particularly Marchbank. We have a spot to fill there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone else think it's time that we sent Kemp forward with all the outs? Marchbank may be required.

It’s a great idea but problem is what’ll happen is Kemp will get us excited kicking 2 or 3 goals and quelling the lizard along the way to a famous win, but in the post match celebration Marchy will slip on an orange peel in the change rooms rupturing his patella tendon and knocking himself out for good measure, forcing Kemp to return to playing the third defender role the week after…we simply cannot get any continuity and familiarity with game plan and chemistry between the players because of these injuries to the usual suspects and I fear it is going to cost us a chance to win the flag this year.

Well since my last guess we've added a few more to the injury list so lets have another go...

We're actually running out of options so I think this is the week to trial Williams half forward/wing.
Either that or bring in Marchbank to free Kemp/McGovern forward.
I can't see Pittonet getting up but if he does, Fantasia comes out.

OUT - Cerra (inj), Martin (inj), Pittonet (inj), Cottrell (inj)
IN - Williams, Binns, Fantasia, Carroll (sub)

FB - Newman Weitering Kemp
HB - Cowan McGovern Boyd
C - O. Hollands Cripps Acres
HF - E. Hollands McKay Williams
FF - Owies Curnow Durdin
FOL - DeKoning Walsh Kennedy
INT - Hewett Cincotta Binns Fantasia
SUB - Carroll

He must of done it today - because the club wouldn’t have held back this news with yesterday’s injury report.

:thumbsu:

Martin experienced calf tightness on Tuesday afternoon following training, and required subsequent scans to assess his availability.

Those scans have since confirmed a calf strain for the 29-year-old, ruling him out of making the trip to Sydney.

Martin, Marchbank, and any other players susceptible to injury and therefore unlikely to get on the park consistently should be traded or delisted year end. I do not see any benefit to keeping players, no matter how good they are, if they only play once every 6 or 7 weeks because their body continuously lets them down. Am I wrong?

I know we are a weaker team as a result, but in my view all of these outs can be covered without a significant drop in performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back