Preview 2024 Rd 11 Carlton vs Gold Coast Saturday 25th May 1:45PM AEST @ Marvel Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team is in …

IN:
A.Saad, L.Cowan, L.Fogarty

OUT: C.Durdin (Omitted), M.Pittonet (Finger), C.Marchbank (Managed)

Backs:Adam SaadJacob WeiteringLachie Cowan
Half-backs:Brodie KempMitch McGovernNic Newman
Centreline:Ollie HollandsPatrick CrippsBlake Acres
Half-forwards:Zac WilliamsHarry McKayElijah Hollands
Forwards:Orazio FantasiaCharlie CurnowMatthew Owies
Followers:Tom De KoningSam WalshMatthew Kennedy
Interchange:Jordan BoydJack CarrollAlex Cincotta
Lachie FogartyGeorge Hewett
Emergencies:Jaxon BinnsCorey DurdinLewis Young

Last edited:
They owe us a favour - we literally gifted petresvki to them 😁
There’s been no record of what SPS is up to post footy..

Kinda feel sorry for him how things panned out career wise

Would have been interesting how he might have gone with an improved eagles outfit

Hope he’s in a good place, perhaps enjoying the country life in north WA halls creek

Absolutely. We as supporters are extremely reactive. The adage holds - "Things are never as bad or as good as they seem".

Hard to be flexible when so many are missing through injury. Do we risk upsetting a settled line to sure up another?

As it stands, we're 6-4, having just come out of an extremely tough 5 weeks of footy. To put things into context, we're the only team ever to be sitting 10th with a record of 6-4. Only once prior has a team at 6-4 not been in the top 8 after 10 rounds (Port Adelaide in 2018).

Speak for yourself.

We don't need Boyd playing a lockdown or hard defensive role. We need him worrying about getting the ball in his hands. He's our best distributor.

In a way, it's no different to how Melbourne use Lever. He's never assigned a hard defensive match up. His strength to that team is his ability to play interceptor. He covers superbly for that unit.

Boyd has to be the guy we're prepared to release and the others have to cover for.

A better example might be GWS' use of Whitfield across half back.
If Boyd is our best distributor we are where we are because of him the "best" ....he makes as many clangers as anyone else -not consistent amongst a bunch of other not-consistent kicks back there - Newman/McGovrn/Williams all do fantastic things at times and all clangerrama on other occasions- the most consistent good kick is Saad but his good kicks are usually when he has run to find space andmake territory and has the opposition back peddling.

If Boyd is our best distributor we are where we are because of him the "best" ....he makes as many clangers as anyone else -not consistent amongst a bunch of other not-consistent kicks back there - Newman/McGovrn/Williams all do fantastic things at times and all clangerrama on other occasions- the most consistent good kick is Saad but his good kicks are usually when he has run to find space andmake territory and has the opposition back peddling.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2024/05...e-best-kick-in-the-competition-coming-out-of/

Would have been interesting how he might have gone with an improved eagles outfit

Hope he’s in a good place, perhaps enjoying the country life in north WA halls creek
Yeah I agree…I just thought he was delisted?

There was so much talk about how good he was and I still reckon there were elements of his game that were quite good but it looks like he just didn’t make it in the end.

However looking at it via a big picture lens…

He’s still done better than a lot of afl hopefuls who didn't make the afl national draft.

I know Moir hasn't been going flash so far but if Motlop doesn't get up, could we see a debut? Might as well tbh.

Reasonably big game at home, need some enthusiasm, means we punt Fantasia and Durdin who both need to find form to be considered ever again imo.

Surely with injuries and effort on-field, he can't go any worse? Give the kid a run, I say. And not as sub.

Updated ins (optimistic)

IN
| Adam Saad, Lachie Fogarty, Jesse Motlop, Jack Carroll
OUT | Caleb Marchbank (Omitted), Corey Durdin (Omitted), Orazio Fantasia (Omitted),

Switch in Ashton Moir if one of Motlop or Fog aren't ready.

No idea for sub but not a bloody slow, inside midfielder. Don't mind the Boyd sub suggestion to rest and bring on speed late down back or up forward.

From what I have seen of him as recently as the weekend in the 2s I just can’t see how he could compete physically (strength and fitness wise) to make a meaningful contribution at the top level. He is simply not close to being ready athletically nor understanding game plan.

I get the arguments that it can’t be any worse than Durdin’s current level of output but I believe even with just Saad coming back (I find it hard to believe Mots can come straight back in after such a long time out) we can play Williams forward more this week rather than instead of picking a clearly not ready Moir.

This one is above the shoulders. Really sad.

I know Moir hasn't been going flash so far but if Motlop doesn't get up, could we see a debut? Might as well tbh.

Reasonably big game at home, need some enthusiasm, means we punt Fantasia and Durdin who both need to find form to be considered ever again imo.

Surely with injuries and effort on-field, he can't go any worse? Give the kid a run, I say. And not as sub.

Updated ins (optimistic)

IN
| Adam Saad, Lachie Fogarty, Jesse Motlop, Jack Carroll
OUT | Caleb Marchbank (Omitted), Corey Durdin (Omitted), Orazio Fantasia (Omitted),

Switch in Ashton Moir if one of Motlop or Fog aren't ready.

No idea for sub but not a bloody slow, inside midfielder. Don't mind the Boyd sub suggestion to rest and bring on speed late down back or up forward.
Disagree - we've seemed more inclined to develop players at the lower level and make them earn their place in the senior side.
He's no different.

It currently seems that teams are flooding the contested game and taking away our 1 wood. We really need to work on other phases of the game, especially the rebound from 50 ball movement.

I'd really like us to look for Boyd/Saad in the backline to distribute the ball. We say it week in week out that the small forwards have to be at the feet of Charlie and Harry, providing defensive pressure and picking up the ground ball.

I would not mind a Williams/Boyd/E Hollands/Acres... having some stints in the midfield and allowing Walsh/Cripps more time forward of center.

I do prefer a small more agile backline and Cowan felt wrong dropping him.

Weitering/Kemp/Cowan/McGovern - Those are the four tall defenders
Boyd/Saad/Newman - Those are the small defenders

I am still not completely sold on the two ruck combination. I know the contested possession have improved, I just think our forward/midfield structure is found wanting. I would love to play a smaller forward line and having two rucks does not allow us that luxury.

Speak for yourself.
It's my observation of the supporter base as a whole. It extends to far beyond footy. We're attracted to narratives and stories, where the reality is that there's a lot of complexity we're not privy to, and not enough data points to form strong opinions. Nevermind numerous confounders that we tend to gloss over. Case in point - supporters blaming Pittonet's selection to our poor performances, when it coincided with much more difficult opposition, injury to key players and return of other key personnel.

We win the next two and things will swing back the other way. Wins and losses are too coarse a metric to assess performance, and it takes real leadership to look beyond that, identify what is and isn't working and adjust accordingly.

From what I have seen of him as recently as the weekend in the 2s I just can’t see how he could compete physically (strength and fitness wise) to make a meaningful contribution at the top level. He is simply not close to being ready athletically nor understanding game plan.

I get the arguments that it can’t be any worse than Durdin’s current level of output but I believe even with just Saad coming back (I find it hard to believe Mots can come straight back in after such a long time out) we can play Williams forward more this week rather than instead of picking a clearly not ready Moir.
The way I look at it - Moir's current output in the 2s is worse than what Durdin and Fantasia are dishing up in the ones. Similar disposals, similar number of goals, much less defensive intent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He was last seen heading towards Halls Creek but only got as far as 14metres…..

It currently seems that teams are flooding the contested game and taking away our 1 wood. We really need to work on other phases of the game, especially the rebound from 50 ball movement.

I'd really like us to look for Boyd/Saad in the backline to distribute the ball. We say it week in week out that the small forwards have to be at the feet of Charlie and Harry, providing defensive pressure and picking up the ground ball.

I would not mind a Williams/Boyd/E Hollands/Acres... having some stints in the midfield and allowing Walsh/Cripps more time forward of center.

I do prefer a small more agile backline and Cowan felt wrong dropping him.

Weitering/Kemp/Cowan/McGovern - Those are the four tall defenders
Boyd/Saad/Newman - Those are the small defenders

I am still not completely sold on the two ruck combination. I know the contested possession have improved, I just think our forward/midfield structure is found wanting. I would love to play a smaller forward line and having two rucks does not allow us that luxury.
Its interesting, the Swans and Pies have both done it brilliantly with their defensive system. Granted they structure better than most other teams in the competition, but we haven't been able to counter their their tight zones.

Seems if we're able to control or break even around the contest and win the territory battle, we look great and will match it with anyone. Even if we're losing the contest, if the opposition zone isn't tight enough, we're able to grind back territory by going long to a contest on the wing, get a repeat stoppage and go again. If the opposition gives us the corridor, we'll take it and go.

Swans and Pies both played a very high zone and refused to give us the short kick (except the short kick wide to the pocket, hemming us in). They forced us long down the line where they were set up with more numbers and hurt us on the counter. Melbourne did similar in the last quarter when we lost our dare.

It's not obvious to me how we combat it. McGovern back helps, and Saad will help again. With those two, we've got the leg speed and penetration to break through on the fat side, something we've struggled to do without them (Pies were good at shifting their zone and shutting us down). Why we've been unable in both games to even up numbers down the line and try force a contest is above my pay grade.

It's my observation of the supporter base as a whole. It extends to far beyond footy. We're attracted to narratives and stories, where the reality is that there's a lot of complexity we're not privy to, and not enough data points to form strong opinions. Nevermind numerous confounders that we tend to gloss over. Case in point - supporters blaming Pittonet's selection to our poor performances, when it coincided with much more difficult opposition, injury to key players and return of other key personnel.

We win the next two and things will swing back the other way. Wins and losses are too coarse a metric to assess performance, and it takes real leadership to look beyond that, identify what is and isn't working and adjust accordingly.

This for is the problem. I can't find anyone suggesting that. People have discussed the two rucks etc and Pittonet but no one has blamed him for our current performances

the issue is more people skimming over comments and believing 2+2=5 especially when it suits their agenda

Saad makes less clangers than Boyd and Gov, but he isn't prepared to take the game changing, riskier kicks.
Even Naicos makes quite a few clangers, but takes huge chances.
But by golly he looks good when most of them work.

I don't want to say 'I never want to see Fantasia in a Carlton jumper again', it's just that.... I don't know how to finish this sentence...
I'd rather see him earn that opportunity through 3-4 weeks of strong VFL form and not be gifted games because he's mates with the coach.

Does that fit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back