Preview 2024 Rd 12 Carlton vs Port Adelaide Thursday 30th May 7:30PM AEST @ Adelaide Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team is in …

Unchanged

https://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/1566482/afl-team-news-blues-name-23-for-thursday-night-football

Backs:Adam SaadJacob WeiteringZac Williams
Half-backs:Brodie KempMitch McGovernNic Newman
Centreline:Ollie HollandsPatrick CrippsElijah Hollands
Half-forwards:Lachie FogartyHarry McKayMatthew Owies
Forwards:George HewettCharlie CurnowMatthew Kennedy
Followers:Tom De KoningSam WalshAlex Cincotta
Interchange:Lachie CowanJack CarrollBlake Acres
Jordan BoydOrazio Fantasia
Emergencies:Corey DurdinCaleb MarchbankLewis Young

Carlton-vs-Port-Adelaide.png
Yartapuuti vs Carlton

Thursday, 30/5/24

Adelaide Oval, 7:30pm

Form Lines

Yartapuuti

L-W-L-W-W-W

For all that Yartapuuti haven't really hit the peaks of previous years, their output this season - 7 wins, 3 losses - has been reasonable. Having said that, they've suffered crucial injuries at difficult times, leading to a number of their defeats. They've also been a mixed bag at home, with two losses at home; one against Adelaide granted, but the other against Naarm.

They've lost to the Pies away and the Crows at home but beaten the Aints, Nth, the Cats (away, too) and Hawthorn in their last 5. They're going to be okay, but their home form hasn't been their best. Putting Nth to the sword away isn't all that and a bag of chips, with Marshall kicking 5 making him the main target.

Carlton

W-L-L-W-L-W

We know where and how things have gone wrong. Injuries, stupid decisions, and frequent lapses in concentration or rushes of blood when taking on tackles have gifted shots at goal to opposition just when and where we didn't need them to.

We've just started getting players back, and Williams popping up to kick 4 as a small against the Suns changes the compexion of our forward line.

Observations

Firstly, Butters-Rozee are dynamic in the same way that Warner and Guilden are; both fast, both direct, both guns. Soldo being out means that they're going to have to rely on Sweet to beat TDK/Pitto; that's likely to give us first use, and Port are a weird side in that they - like us - rely on first use at all times. They'll throw Boak etc in there from time to time, but they're not really flush with bigger bodies outside of Wines/SPP and the latter's injured. Horne-Francis has been excellent all year, so Hewitt as a run with is an option; it also might be an idea to plonk Cripps against him, force him to beat Cripps to each and every ball to get his own. Never let him get a ball in space, because he'll hurt you.

Aliir's still an excellent intercept player, so using other targets will be a must; Owies, Martin, TDK, as well as your Harry's and your Charlie's. Stretch their defense and they'll leak.

Up forward, Charlie Dixon and Marshall form the KPP targets; Marshall is still underrated despite being very handy, and Dixon is getting very long in the tooth for someone as effective. Georgiades is a handy third tall, and Byrne-Jones has popped up a whole heap for crucial goals this season, but they're very, very reliant on their big three in HF, Butters and Rozee to win games. Let those three do what they want, and they'll win more often than not.

Final thoughts

Carlton have only ever won a single game at Adelaide oval, and it was earlier this year against Fremantle. Port might've lost a game to Naarm at home, but they've won all others to interstate opposition.

For us to win this game would be to defy history.

But if I'm perfectly honest, I'm looking at this match as one eminently winnable. We look - on paper - as able to match up against who they have available pretty well, and a midfield of three people shouldn't be able to beat one as multifaceted as theirs. We have weapons to expose them in front of the ball, and we have Weitering and a setup that works around him behind it.

I also really don't like Yartapuuti. When I picture 2002, I can see Warren Tredrea bellowing at a crowd after kicking a goal against us, one of six he kicked that day. I can remember Wanganeen turning a final for them and tasting bile in my mouth.

To defy history and bring them to heel would set us up and start to right the record.

Provided we kick straight...

Carlton by 16 points.

Last edited:

Potentially Motts for Owies and maybe someone else as sub eg Wilson or Binns.

I doubt Mots comes in for anyone, seemed like they wanted him in 2nd gear

Wilson and Binns aren't coming in for any of the players today

But I'm sure Jim will have Wilson in for Kennedy

Last edited:
Last two games against Hawthorn and North, not an ideal prep to play us. Dixon is cooked. Marshall patchy. Georgiades slowly regaining match fitness. Soldo slower than Witts, Sweet just tall. Aleer is the kick around. JHF tagged. The only real threat is being blinded by the pre game light show.
And if Darcy Burns Jones is keeping them in games, good luck!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We aren't travelling as bad as everyone has been making out.

If we had just closed out the Adelaide game we would be equal 2nd right now.

Lost a couple of close ones against contenders whilst we have been injury ravaged.

This is a big one this week. Another contender. On the road. We need a scalp here.

We aren't travelling as bad as everyone has been making out.

If we had just closed out the Adelaide game we would be equal 2nd right now.

Lost a couple of close ones against contenders whilst we have been injury ravaged.

This is a big one this week. Another contender. On the road. We need a scalp here.

That Adelaide loss is really going to hurt - that late game howler where Williams and Kemp watched the ball bounce kills us - hope it really grinds there gears to greater efforts back half of year :thumbsu:

Pooorts talls....
Dixon, Marshall, Finlayson and the son of the fella that kicked 8 on debut against us.

Does Marchy come back in after being managed this week? :think:

I wonder if that is why he was rested this week knowing what was coming 5 days later?

I hope not. Not if it’s for Cowan.

While I’m sure I’m going to regret what I’m about to say: none of their forwards have been threatening. Todd Marshall has kicked 17 and leads their goal kicking, Dixon seems cooked. Finlayson is flakey and Georgiadies is slowly finding touch. Darcy Byrne-Jones and Rioli have been more threatening.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I hope not. Not if it’s for Cowan.

While I’m sure I’m going to regret what I’m about to say: none of their forwards have been threatening. Todd Marshall has kicked 17 and leads their goal kicking, Dixon seems cooked. Finlayson is flakey and Georgiadies is slowly finding touch. Darcy Byrne-Jones and Rioli have been more threatening.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Cooked, flakey, finding touch and let’s throw in inaccurate usually means

• Cooked - one last hurrah
  • Flakey - dines out on us with Lobster Mornay
  • Finding Touch - 35 possessions 3 goals

- inaccurate - 6 goals straight with a couple from the boundary- wrong side for a right footer of course.

:p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back