Autopsy 2024 Rd 6 Premiership Quarter Blue Blitz hands Giants their first loss

Who played well for the Blues in Round 6 vs the Giants?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Cripps will win another Brownlow or two if the midfield clicks like that every week.

The most pleasing thing is it seems it’s sustainable for him. He’s not expected to put the team on his shoulders; he has a role at the stoppage and he carries it out. His size allows him to absorb hits, but not in a way that overtly puts him at harm. His pressure is around the contest and he’s not expected to expend his energy chasing tail from poor turnovers; it’s about preventing those turnovers by closing the contest. Something his 90kg+ frame is pretty good at doing.

I was worried he’d be a Fyfe and cook his body his late 20s, but he’s come to rely on his IQ (and size) rather than his athleticism.

Serious question

How many players can we have justifying their position by playing a “role” defensively?

It seems to be justification for selection by many people. Yes, we need players doing defensive roles but in my opinion defensive pressure should be the base of most roles NOT the reason for selection.

Who do you want playing instead of Fantasia? Binns? Would be eaten alive. We have NO options and the fact we can play a role player instead of a “complete dud” given the injuries we have is an awesome bonus. It’s obvious that if he doesn’t get more of it he will lose his spot IF we get on top of our injuries.

We should be seeing it as a positive not negative. He’s not being picked ahead of anyone. We don’t have anyone.

Who do you want playing instead of Fantasia? Binns? Would be eaten alive. We have NO options and the fact we can play a role player instead of a “complete dud” given the injuries we have is an awesome bonus. It’s obvious that if he doesn’t get more of it he will lose his spot IF we get on top of our injuries.

We should be seeing it as a positive not negative. He’s not being picked ahead of anyone. We don’t have anyone.

Not relevant to my question

cripps' kicking has improved dramatically from previous years is what ive noticed
The dude is a consummate professional who tries his hardest to improve on whatever he can.

We got such a great person and footy brain with Paddy. If he didn't have that kind of professionalism and willpower, he could have just been another almost player with a bunch of awkward grunt and shite kicking.

But no, he's a champ.

Crippas game was insane yesterday, held us together when we were under the pump and excelled when the game was there to be won.

History suggests big things happen when the captain becomes the coaches right hand man while galvanizing the playing group. The Voss Cripps connection is so far above any team in the comp right now, this alone gives me a lot of confidence we are in for a big year.

Watched the replay after being at the game, I don't think TV did justice to how slick GWSs ball movement was, that's what makes this win even more impressive, GWS came to play and where lethal with their kicking, our Blue Boys just dialed it up to another level in the 3rd and blew them away, crowd was so much fun during that surge, getting to enjoy this with my teen son after so many lean years is perfect.

Go Blues

Crippas game was insane yesterday, held us together when we were under the pump and excelled when the game was there to be won.

History suggests big things happen when the captain becomes the coaches right hand man while galvanizing the playing group. The Voss Cripps connection is so far above any team in the comp right now, this alone gives me a lot of confidence we are in for a big year.
Whatever Voss is selling, the boys have bought into it 100%, and Crippa is leading the way.

A crazy mix of our very worst at the start.......... Then OUR VERY BEST after half time.

NOBODY can beat our very best!!!!!

Big shout out to Chugga on his 100th, was huge.

And what about Cow! Looked very good out there in the 2 guernsey.

Crippa........ It has all been said but that was exactly why I rate him as
close to the best bagger I have seen in the 50 plus years I have been watching.

Oh and his little mate (compared to him :D ) goes alright too.
To be fair I think we had a good first quarter
It was 10 mins in the second quarter we lost our heads. Teams like GWS will sword you in any loss of concentration

Just watched the second half again. Some of the best football this group's played. Absolute pressure and surge footy. Unbelievable

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Over 30 games clear of the next most consistent forward (Nick Larkey)

He has been incredible since coming back to our side, truly lived up to his lofty expectations
Genuine star. Would like to see more consistency across a game but when he goes, boy does he go. And brings the team (and the crowd) with him. Rare quality.

Relieved to see Corey Durdin chime in with some clutch goals and marks - he’s actually better overhead than I thought.

He’s been vanilla in 24, this game should give him plenty of belief. Without Motlop really need him to take the next step.
He put on plenty of blocks for other players to access the pill, too. That doesn't get recognised on the stat sheet so many supporters will miss it. It's a dying art form.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Something was different about Pitto's intent yesterday... He was galloping around following up and trying to stay involved in the play in a way I've never seen before. Coaching? A mid-week rocket? Maybe he'd just seen the writing on the wall for the two-ruck setup and decided that he needed to work on adding layers to his game.

Whatever was behind it, I hope he keeps playing in that manner. Was sensational.

Cripps similarly was playing with a huge amount of intent.. It's been well documented that he prefers Pitto in the side, maybe he was trying to prove that point along the way to a dominant BOG performance?

One of the best parts about yesterday was De Koning hitting the scoreboard. If he can again kick multiple goals say twice in the next month, I think it will be really huge for us. Quality AFL level tall defenders won't respect their opponents unless they have to; they are so attacking these days with the intercepting focus that they won't give a second thought to leaving an opponent not considered to be a goal threat.

But if TDK keeps kicking goals, he becomes a genuine threat in the eyes of the opposition and they're forced to put work into him. This has a real knock-on effect: defenders getting nervous, grabbing jumpers, not being able to help out as much on McKay and Curnow.

De Koning's game was immense and hitting the scoreboard was just the icing on the cake, but really hope he can build on that with more goals in the weeks to come.
All of this. 👍

I love him and he's been an awesome pickup but Josh Kelly outsmarted him a lot. Acres seems to play with short term memory loss and never stopped though. Fought back really well.
Kelly was also offered something like 1.4mill by North. There was a reason they threw the warchest at him.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

So we'd just gone about 4 goals down in the 3rd, and my mate looked across the aisle to see some supporters munching on something, and he turned and asked me what they were eating.

I glanced and saw they were hoeing into some souvlakis. My mate asks "where do you get those, and I told him instead of turning right into the bar, go straight ahead and you'll see the shop.

Then he says, "well I'm going to get one, might break their scoring run".

As soon as he disappeared, Giants kicked their first point for ages, having been deadly all day in front of the sticks. He returns and starts enjoying his souva.

Mission accomplished.

We'd had some beers before the game, and from the tap, they had all tasted the same, like toilet water. Disgusting. My last visit to the bar, I had scanned the fridge for a can of something and I had spotted some Balter XPAs.

So I said to my mate, "I'm going to get some Balter cans, maybe that will make us start kicking goals".

As I rose, Ollie Hollands took a mark.

I went down the race, ordered the cans, and heard the roar before the video on the screen caught up. As the beers were delivered, and paid for, I started back to my seat, and heard another big roar. As I sat down, I watched the replay, and it was TDK crumbing a great goal.

Mission accomplished.

And the beers were delicious, so we made sure we kept going, or who knows how the game might have turned out?
And here I was thinking it was the massive bowl of sticky date pudding I dished myself as Charlie slotted his 1st..

Last edited:
Back