Position 2024 Rookies

Remove this Banner Ad

Has to be recognised as the next best ruckman on your list, and can't be any worse than Schache who is stealing an AFL wage for a living.
No arguments there. But Schache wasn’t playing Ruck, he was playing up forward. More likely to continue to play JVR as pinch hit Ruckman IMO. They might give Fullaton a crack but with Petty on the verge of returning and Brown and TMac now available, who would be better options up forward than Fullaton, can’t see him playing 6+ games before the Bye to make enough coin to justify a selection. Melb has a history of playing second rucks in the VFL as insurance.

Pre teams rookie selections:

D: Gibcus, Howes (Zeid, Coffield E)
M: Sanders, Hustwaite (Reid, Roberts E, Clark)
R: (Naismith)
F: Sexton, Cadman (Lazzaro E, Wilson)

~$100k in the bank

Gibcus/Reid/Coffield on field is a coinflip
Hustwaite or Roberts on field is tough
Cadman vs Norf for the lols

Let's talk about Naismith R3.

Let's say he's dropped for Nank, what are people doing at R3?

I'm tempted to take Naismith anyway, fully expecting Nank to break down and hopefully get a price rise or 2 out of Naithsmith at some stage.

Even if he's a dead rookie, it's not the worst result. This is when the Tigers play:
rd1: Thurs
rd2: Sunday (but it's a bye round, so it's irrelevant)
rd3: Sunday (but it's a bye round, so it's irrelevant)
rd4: Sunday
rd5: Sunday (but it's a bye round, so it's irrelevant)
rd6: his bye round
rd7: Weds
rd8: Sunday
rd9: Sat night
rd10: Sat night
rd11: Sat night
rd12: Sat night
rd13: Thurs (but it's a bye round, so it's irrelevant)
rd14: Sat late arvo
rd15: his bye round

Obviously rd1 is a problem, you gotta accept no VC/C loophole.
The next issue is rd7, but without a shadow of a doubt we'll have a dropped/injured rookie sitting on the bench somewhere.
Every other round is fine if he's just a donut for loophole.

He could make $150k with 2 price rises, so I reckon it's worth it.

I'm tempted to take Naismith anyway, fully expecting Nank to break down and hopefully get a price rise or 2 out of Naithsmith at some stage.

Even if he's a dead rookie, it's not the worst result. This is when the Tigers play:

The next issue is rd7, but without a shadow of a doubt we'll have a dropped/injured rookie sitting on the bench somewhere.

Loops are generally not an issue after the first couple of weeks, always someone missing. 8 of the first 15 rounds have byes so there should be loop options. My concern is more about DPP fwd cover for the rucks and Naismith blocks that as an option until traded. Not sure yet, will wait for teams.

When is Nank expected back?

I'm with you on this, it's tempting to take him and hope Nank gets hurt.

If he was on the bubble I'd probably get him, but if he doesn't play having the DPP is so handy. Even if Nank goes down in round 7 for example, you can just trade Naismith in and put Livingstone in the forwards for a while.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The problem with your loophole logic is that of the first 15 weeks he’s only useful as a loop for 2 weekends

And arguably only round 4 as by round 8 it’s unlikely we’ll have 29 green dots

Assuming you’re looping Daicos/Bont/English types, all Nanks Sat games are no good to you

Sure you could loop someone else

But a key reason of starting these mega prems is for their captainability

Loops are generally not an issue after the first couple of weeks, always someone missing. 8 of the first 15 rounds have byes so there should be loop options. My concern is more about DPP fwd cover for the rucks and Naismith blocks that as an option until traded. Not sure yet, will wait for teams.

That's my thinking. Pretty simple for me. If named I'll put him in. If not I'll pick a r/f loop.

The problem with your loophole logic is that of the first 15 weeks he’s only useful as a loop for 2 weekends

And arguably only round 4 as by round 8 it’s unlikely we’ll have 29 green dots

Assuming you’re looping Daicos/Bont/English types, all Nanks Sat games are no good to you

Sure you could loop someone else

But a key reason of starting these mega prems is for their captainability
By then we'll all have dead rookies on the bench lol

Simpkin has volunteered to play forward to give the young guys more exposure.
My bet for starting 3 mids is Powell ldu and Wardlaw
This may be complicated by Simpkin being out. Phillips replaced Powell in the first 3 and Powell moves to hff. I'm not sure on this 100% it's just want happened vs St Kilda.
The other possibility is Cooper Harvey comes and Powell stays in the mids. Either way laz gets mid rotations. He doesn't seem to be effected.
Jy will still play mid minutes, but half forward seems to be his primary position now.

I agree about Powell, LDU and warlord being the first rotation, but I see Sheezel, Phillips and Laz rotating through there as the secondary mids. Phillips and Powell are fairly similar in that they seem to playing the defensive clearance role, but Powell seems favoured atm. Laz offers something different with his gut running.

FWIW I think its pretty likely Naismith and Ryan both get dropped for Nank and Lynch.

Balta to play second ruck, made a good impact when he went in there second half last weekend. Lynch also limited minutes so they'll probably want Kosi as the extra forward.

Yes .

Nank and Naismith can't play together..

But Nank might not play every game .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back