News 2024 St.Kilda Media Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

We're not going anywhere, may as well play the up and comers and get games into them.
What are the top 5 midfielders like this year in the draft?
We could finish as low as 2nd pick and as high as fifth. Any Harveys this year?
I understand the top 10ish is full of mids.

Mids mids mids

We don’t need to tank at all, we’ll just genuinely finish towards the bottom

Am I the only one who wants to win every week?

No expectation of seeing a premiership in my lifetime. Just want a win on every upcoming weekend.

Couldn’t care less about a “rebuild” of any sort.
100%. Is there any evidence that a full rebuild actually works? We see teams like Geelong and Sydney never bottom out or rebuild and continue to have sustained success! I would prefer a solid, winning culture than trotting out kids to get flogged every week. North have been stuck down the bottom for years. Carlton took 10+ years to become competitive (no flag yet). Let's win and the development will occur naturally. Confidence is key.

Mids mids mids

I think the club will have their eyes on brisys first round pick. They don’t need it. The suns also have three, they don’t need them either. Get creative sos

Haha the season is shot. Not even a third of the way through. Maybe wait until we’re at least halfway through.

No need to worry about winning now? Baffling.
The interesting thing with an AFL season is there's a lot of luck involved with injuries. If we were to win the next few games we might then get a team like Melbourne with a few injuries.

Giving up is just dumb. Would way rather be in the hunt rather than tank for the sake of a few spots in the draft.

Mids mids mids

I get that we always want good mids but the area we really need to look at is forwards. Who are going to be our goal kickers going forward? Look at Geelong at the moment you dont necessarily need an incredible midfield, but you need good forwards.

100%. Is there any evidence that a full rebuild actually works? We see teams like Geelong and Sydney never bottom out or rebuild and continue to have sustained success! I would prefer a solid, winning culture than trotting out kids to get flogged every week. North have been stuck down the bottom for years. Carlton took 10+ years to become competitive (no flag yet). Let's win and the development will occur naturally. Confidence is key.
I get what you're saying but Geelong and Sydney have benefited greatly from father son and academy picks especially before the rule changes.

You can argue that it was a while ago for the Cats but you have to consider the flow on affect. From 2007 they have made finals and won flags with the aid of F/S's. Yes they are gone now but because they became successful they attracted players, which led to more finals and flags which in turn attracts players.

It's a cycle that will probably continue as long as they are competitive and unfortunately for us, it's a hard position to get into.

I get what you're saying but Geelong and Sydney have benefited greatly from father son and academy picks especially before the rule changes.

You can argue that it was a while ago for the Cats but you have to consider the flow on affect. From 2007 they have made finals and won flags with the aid of F/S's. Yes they are gone now but because they became successful they attracted players, which led to more finals and flags which in turn attracts players.

It's a cycle that will probably continue as long as they are competitive and unfortunately for us, it's a hard position to get into.
And that's exactly why tanking is bad business. We may not get a leg up with F/S's or top 10 academy picks but if we remain a winning side for long enough, then we too will attract top players.
No one wants to join a club that's at the bottom of the ladder and they certainly won't join one of the smaller clubs (us) that's at the bottom of the ladder. So we need to keep trying to win and establish that winning culture or fall into the never ending rebuild phase!

I’m a fatalist. Play to win.

You can try plan A, you can try plan B, you can take a little of A and a little of B - there are ZERO guarantees that any one way will get a flag.

Far too many intangibles like fixture, injuries and sheer bloody LUCK!

So we might as well get enjoyment out of the wins when we can get them.

EDIT: after tonight’s tribunal, let’s just admit it - we’re never getting an armchair ride, or even just a fair go in this competition. Not sure why I ( we) bother, we’re just making up the numbers. Really disappointed.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They did but if they had had a rubbish system, all those players would have been as poorly developed as Luke Dunstan or Jack Billings or would have had to bear too much weight in a squad full of average players like Stuv or Steelo and would have probably not their clubs anything special.

Culture, Standards, Development, Coaching all create great players and great teams. We are trying to build that up again, but you can't just go out and buy it at the shops, unfortunately.

They did but if they had had a rubbish system, all those players would have been as poorly developed as Luke Dunstan or Jack Billings or would have had to bear too much weight in a squad full of average players like Stuv or Steelo and would have probably not their clubs anything special.

Culture, Standards, Development, Coaching all create great players and great teams. We are trying to build that up again, but you can't just go out and buy it at the shops, unfortunately.

Stuv and Steele aren't average, they were unsupported being the big dog in s**t sides.

I know it hasn't fully clicked for Mattaes yet, but there aren't too many footballers his age that can articulate himself at the level he can, as well as showcase maturity and a work ethic well beyond his years.

Great video, love him.

Probably a bit against the grain given how things are going at the moment (and our history in general), but I like to live in hope, and I do have the believe that he can help deliver us to the promised land one day.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back