News 2024 St.Kilda Media Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

but the practical side says stay down and get Jagga Smith or one of the talented mids and improve our future chances.
We need high draft picks. Looking the list purely from an age perspective, from Henry (almost 23) through to Wilkie (just over 28) there is virtually no decent talent aside from Max, Battle and Snags (and I don't really know how to rate snags) and no mids at all who look like they'll make it (maybe, just maybe Dow). From that perspective it is really, really unbalanced.

I think the club needs to accept that (again from an age perspective) of the 28+ bracket only maybe Wilkie and Steele at best have a chance at playing in a team making a tilt at a flag and we need to manage the list accordingly.

Hopefully with Clark returning, we drop Bonner and play Sinc at half back. That way, we'd have the flexibility to send Clark HB and Sinc mids if we need more run. With our current mids, that's not possible except maybe Windy but he's got leg speed so wouldn't want to take him out even if it was for Sinc
I thought we were at our best with Sincs, Nas, Webster and Stocker but Stocker is very out of form ATM.
I can see the case for Bonner but I'm still of the opinion he's fools gold and would rather Hastie get games TBH.
Importantly the squad has to build on last week as there were some good individual performances.

I thought we were at our best with Sincs, Nas, Webster and Stocker but Stocker is very out of form ATM.
I can see the case for Bonner but I'm still of the opinion he's fools gold and would rather Hastie get games TBH.
Importantly the squad has to build on last week as there were some good individual performances.
Bonner needs to get out ASAP. 26 touches for 1 score involvement as a distributing half back is atrocious. Add on that goal assist he had for the sealer. I'd almost prefer Paton as a more defensive-minded and versatile option - at least he'd provide some value to the team in taking out an opposition small.

Sinclair to half back and Crouch in the mids is the way to go. Steele Crouch Windy Dow Clark is a fine rotation of mids, with Clark able to go back too. Garcia is not ready for mids yet as many have suggested, he needs to bulk up a bit. Same for Hastie, I'd rather he dominate VFL for a bit and build up his body to attack 2025. Also same for Lance.

Arie is the only one I can see having an extended run in place of Bonner, but he'd have to play very well bc he doesnt have versatility either. I'm still of the view that he should also bulk up and become our Steven May, they are so similar and Arie can easily get to that level if he hits the gym and develops his craft

Bonner needs to get out ASAP. 26 touches for 1 score involvement as a distributing half back is atrocious. Add on that goal assist he had for the sealer. I'd almost prefer Paton as a more defensive-minded and versatile option - at least he'd provide some value to the team in taking out an opposition small.

Sinclair to half back and Crouch in the mids is the way to go. Steele Crouch Windy Dow Clark is a fine rotation of mids, with Clark able to go back too. Garcia is not ready for mids yet as many have suggested, he needs to bulk up a bit. Same for Hastie, I'd rather he dominate VFL for a bit and build up his body to attack 2025. Also same for Lance.

Arie is the only one I can see having an extended run in place of Bonner, but he'd have to play very well bc he doesnt have versatility either. I'm still of the view that he should also bulk up and become our Steven May, they are so similar and Arie can easily get to that level if he hits the gym and develops his craft
I'd rather the kids stay in the 2's ATM too but l also want that high draft pick now. Still I'd rather a kid that Jones or Bonner at this point.

If by some miracle the likes of Hotton, JVE, Moose and Allison can justify another years contract then it helps us a lot.
Our commitment to drafting a Zebra is unfortunate but gotta do something to get better players in.

I'd rather the kids stay in the 2's ATM too but l also want that high draft pick now. Still I'd rather a kid that Jones or Bonner at this point.

If by some miracle the likes of Hotton, JVE, Moose and Allison can justify another years contract then it helps us a lot.
Our commitment to drafting a Zebra is unfortunate but gotta do something to get better players in.
Jones should never play for St Kilda again, he is terrible and our mids are almost fully fit now. Bonner is a depth player at best. If he is in our best 22 then we will never be a contender.

I want to see Hotton given an opportunity this week - he's coming off a good VFL game and its the perfect time with Butler probably to return via VFL this week. He couldn't be much worse than Pou was. Just give him a taste before Buts is back.

If we keep playing like this, we'll definitely get a top 5 pick and West Coast and Hawthorn both should overtake us so hopefully pick 3. For any team needing a key defender and wanting to target Trainor, I'd split the pick to them to get two later top 10s to hopefully pick up 2 of Jagga, Draper, Moraes

Jones should never play for St Kilda again, he is terrible and our mids are almost fully fit now. Bonner is a depth player at best. If he is in our best 22 then we will never be a contender.

I want to see Hotton given an opportunity this week - he's coming off a good VFL game and its the perfect time with Butler probably to return via VFL this week. He couldn't be much worse than Pou was. Just give him a taste before Buts is back.

If we keep playing like this, we'll definitely get a top 5 pick and West Coast and Hawthorn both should overtake us so hopefully pick 3. For any team needing a key defender and wanting to target Trainor, I'd split the pick to them to get two later top 10s to hopefully pick up 2 of Jagga, Draper, Moraes
You'd hang on to a top 5 pick till draft night, then see how it looks.
We should be able to trade into a late 1stRDP without giving up a F1st and out 2ndRDP should be on the right side of 30. From there it's NGA/FS or a 4th round stray dog like Ari.
Add a Zebra as a Rookie
Leave 1 spot for SPP/MSD

Lets say 6 open spots minimum.
Jones, Ross, Membrey, Bonner, ???, ???.
(Allison, Moose, Hotton, JVE, TC)

You'd hang on to a top 5 pick till draft night, then see how it looks.
We should be able to trade into a late 1stRDP without giving up a F1st and out 2ndRDP should be on the right side of 30. From there it's NGA/FS or a 4th round stray dog like Ari.
Add a Zebra as a Rookie
Leave 1 spot for SPP/MSD

Lets say 6 open spots minimum.
Jones, Ross, Membrey, Bonner, ???, ???.
(Allison, Moose, Hotton, JVE, TC)
Are we actually going to add a sandy rookie? No one’s is really banging the door down

As someone who witnesses training twice a week I can assure you it’s not the game plan. The training drills and ball movement are fast, in some cases kamikaze speed. It is basically all out attack. But obviously the defensive part of those drills are less than frantic as injuries would happen all the time. On game days the reverse is the case, the opposition put immense pressure on our ball carrier and we stutter. We just don’t have the players who are good enough to mirror our training drills to the match day. Yet. Simple.
So don’t blame the game plan or coach, blame the recruitment team from 3-10 years ago. All the pillars are now in place, we’ve waited 58 years, you can wait a couple more
Tony74, at training, is Marshall usually slamming it onto his boot and kicking into the forward line blindly from centre stoppages?

Any idea why we don't train a model that our group is capable of replicating in real games?

Edit : sorry, you already said its because we'd have too many injuries.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't mind David King's idea of putting Nas into the guts. I know everyone will say he's too soft, or not built for it but we could say the same for Philipou.
Not to mention some smaller players have excelled as full time mids; Daicos, Bolton, Rozee. None of those guys are built.
Nasty has a quick step, fast hands and is composed (something our other "mids" severely lack!) Imagine him kicking to our forwards a dozen times a game instead of kicking sideways in the back half.
Make it happen Ross!

Tony74, at training, is Marshall usually slamming it onto his boot and kicking into the forward line blindly from centre stoppages?

Any idea why we don't train a model that our group is capable of replicating in real games?

Edit : sorry, you already said its because we'd have too many injuries.
A clearance from Marshall dumped on the boot is still more effective than a tap to advantage on probability.

It's not an ideal way to get all our clearances but anything kicked forward our way to a contest is a win and that's why so many rucks are doing it now.

We've got to make more of the contest though.

FWIW we kicked 2 goals directly from Marshall throwing it on the boot last week.

On Pixel 6a using BigFooty.com mobile app

Don't mind David King's idea of putting Nas into the guts. I know everyone will say he's too soft, or not built for it but we could say the same for Philipou.
Not to mention some smaller players have excelled as full time mids; Daicos, Bolton, Rozee. None of those guys are built.
Nasty has a quick step, fast hands and is composed (something our other "mids" severely lack!) Imagine him kicking to our forwards a dozen times a game instead of kicking sideways in the back half.
Make it happen Ross!
I don’t mind the idea but there’s probably other options ahead of him. They said Henry could play mid at the start of the year so he’s potentially another option.
Then again, maybe they bring in Allison and play him in the guts. What would I know?

A clearance from Marshall dumped on the boot is still more effective than a tap to advantage on probability.

It's not an ideal way to get all our clearances but anything kicked forward our way to a contest is a win and that's why so many rucks are doing it now.

FWIW we kicked 2 goals directly from Marshall throwing it on the boot last week.

It happens so often you'd think we'd set up for it forward of the ball. But too often it goes to a spare man or our forwards are playing behind. Makes no sense if that's going to become our main source of clearances.

Can also release a mid or half back by hand and open up the ground. Marshall grabbing it out of the ruck and handballing to Nas on the burst is the ideal clearance

Can also release a mid or half back by hand and open up the ground. Marshall grabbing it out of the ruck and handballing to Nas on the burst is the ideal clearance
It is but that's much harder to do.

For a start the handball receiver needs time and space to collect the ball without being tackled and the option needs to be there in the first place. I think he would handball if there was someone running past for an easy receive

Last edited:
It happens so often you'd think we'd set up for it forward of the ball. But too often it goes to a spare man or our forwards are playing behind. Makes no sense if that's going to become our main source of clearances.
It's not our main source or though he does it often enough it can feel like it.

With a better midfield he probably wouldn't resort to it as frequently.

Winning post stoppage contested possession would make the hack clearances much better but alas we don't do that.

Lyon couldn’t consistently finish in the top 6 for scoring with Roo, Kosi, Milne and Schneider being fed by Lenny, Dal, Montagna, Goddard, Fisher etc and we’ve got people here trying to say we’re not scoring because the team isn’t good enough. If he couldn’t kick scores consistently with those guys he won’t with anyone. I’m not jumping off him despite it being clear he’s not going to change but not sure why we have to ignore facts about his game style when there’s an enormous sample size.

You’d rather the defense be sorted first but at some stage we desperately need an offensive assistant to take over ball movement.

Lyon couldn’t consistently finish in the top 6 for scoring with Roo, Kosi, Milne and Schneider being fed by Lenny, Dal, Montagna, Goddard, Fisher etc and we’ve got people here trying to say we’re not scoring because the team isn’t good enough. If he couldn’t kick scores consistently with those guys he won’t with anyone. I’m not jumping off him despite it being clear he’s not going to change but not sure why we have to ignore facts about his game style when there’s an enormous sample size.

You’d rather the defense be sorted first but at some stage we desperately need an offensive assistant to take over ball movement.
Hold your horses till we get the senior mids back and playing for a few weeks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back