List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

people wrote that we should be chasing players on the GWS list after the game between GWS reserves and Sandy, saying they had ten or more players taken in the first ten picks on their liest who were not getting a game. Ned Moyle was one, who else would be of interest to us?
Moyle is a Sun.

I swear that when I was reading your post Gav I honestly though it was one my posts. Finally someone who 100% agrees with me.🥂 I have been advocating this for so long but unfortunately the club will not do this because they are too stubborn. They don't think long term. All they are interested is the short term. As I posted the other day, if at the end of this year I could convert Sincs, Steele, and Ro into picks better than pick 12 I would do it. Take all 3 picks plus our own FRDP to the draft and grab 4 young guns to add to our already great looking Core under the age of Max King. We would probably regress further next year but it wouldn't bother me because we would be building the Core group. If we don't do this we will forever stay in no-mans land. Not bad enough to get top 5 picks but never good enough to challenge for a flag. There is no point finishing between fifth and tenth every year. Not in my book anyway....
Few problems with your plan, the most central being that there is such a thing as culture at a footy club. Axeing your best, most loyal players is an awful message to send to the young group and any other players who might consider coming to the saints. Even worse if they're leaders at your club, which all those guys are.

Also, setting us up to be seller dwellers for the next five years (see North, Hawks) puts us right in line for when Tassie come in, meaning we wouldn't even reap the full rewards of being dogshit and would probably just stay down the bottom for longer. Also, one Top 10 pick for each of those guys is way unders - even the top picks of drafts have a huge miss rate, which is why you never see established guns traded for unknown quantities unless they're desperate to leave.

We should be trading fringe players who could do better at other teams (ie. Dougal, Byrnes, Sharman, Clark) for lower picks and using them to trade up. While father-son and academy rules have shafted us, the advantage is that other clubs will part with first round picks to accrue more draft points. Or just have more pings at the dart board, we seem to be drafting pretty well at the moment.

If you’re trying to trade out Ro for a top pick, he’d need to be moving to a s**t team to get their pick. He’s not going to want to move to a shitter team, or am I missing something?

6dIS9OM.gif

Few problems with your plan, the most central being that there is such a thing as culture at a footy club. Axeing your best, most loyal players is an awful message to send to the young group and any other players who might consider coming to the saints. Even worse if they're leaders at your club, which all those guys are.

Also, setting us up to be seller dwellers for the next five years (see North, Hawks) puts us right in line for when Tassie come in, meaning we wouldn't even reap the full rewards of being dogshit and would probably just stay down the bottom for longer. Also, one Top 10 pick for each of those guys is way unders - even the top picks of drafts have a huge miss rate, which is why you never see established guns traded for unknown quantities unless they're desperate to leave.

We should be trading fringe players who could do better at other teams (ie. Dougal, Byrnes, Sharman, Clark) for lower picks and using them to trade up. While father-son and academy rules have shafted us, the advantage is that other clubs will part with first round picks to accrue more draft points. Or just have more pings at the dart board, we seem to be drafting pretty well at the moment.

Except they are probably going to change that system.

I hope we did not pay Pou too much. He is the most overrated player on our list...
Given it’s a two year deal I’d say he’s been paid commensurately to his age and potential.

If he turns into a star we’ll pay through the ring for it.

Keeler and Heath need to be given a shot after playing in the reserves for 3 years. Plus we have Hayes.
We are doomed! Keeler and Heath are not full time rucks in the VFL, what makes you think they’ll dominate and successful in the AFL. Hayes isn’t a first string ruckman, he’s a forward/ruck that is presently injury prone

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can’t see anyone like that coming to us but if he would I’d pay it. We’re just making up the numbers if we keep going with this midfield.

seems unlikely based off Ross’ comments recently. Would be absolutely bonkers

No. It's what some masterminds who work at the Herald Sun think we should offer him.
I think its more what the masterminds are saying a good FA will be worth with the cap bump upcoming.

I remember the last time the NBA salary cap went up, some of the absolute spuds getting bonkers contracts was absurd. Well likely have something similar.

I don’t mind it. What else are we going to do with our money?
Look im not anti it but id also say i hope we dont wind up paying 1.2 a year for ******* Brayden Pruess or something absurd.

Someone absolutely will, just please dont be us.

Look im not anti it but id also say i hope we dont wind up paying 1.2 a year for ******* Brayden Pruess or something absurd.

Someone absolutely will, just please dont be us.
I would be happy to offer that to ldu. He fits what we need and the cap is going up heaps. But we need another key back and forward. Next two drafts are going to be very important

Remove this Banner Ad

Back