List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I would doubt it. But if Sharman doesn't develop (and he needs to take another step soon), we don't really have a like-for-like replacement.
That wouldn't be something to worry about in the short term. If Membrey leaves this year, then give Sharman all of 2025 to prove himself as the replacement. If not, draft/trade for a youngster 3rd tall - they're of pretty high supply at the moment

Membrey has always been a bit of an oddball.
He plays like a tall, but is short for his height ( and ability ).
He's kind of unique, which is why there are no players to step into his role.

Between King, Caminiti, Sharman, Hayes, Cordy as well as others such as Phillipou and Owens, we can have enough talls in our forward line.
I'm more concerned about them learning to work together.

I was just making the point that I don't think we have a high-half forward ready to go. Owens would need to be fitter and Phillipou has only shown "speccie" potential, rather than proper contested mark potential.

I don't think Hayes is depth for the specific role Membrey plays. Hayes is dppth for King/Caminiti (and probably better than Caminiti right now if he could get a run at it, but Caminiti projects to be a better key forward).

A high HF should need to pack mark, more a lead up who runs like a wingman with the play or a patrolling defensive/offensive forward that covers a bigger area. Sharman plays more like that than a KP too.

The 1967 draft was a write off thanks to only having a late 1st rounder.

How were we supposed to draft the next Baldock with such a rubbish pick?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It’s the reason why we’ve been ordinary for most of the last 58 years. If we’d never won that flag we would have been so much better off.

Twomey is one of the few who is normally accurate. Didn’t mention any potential suitors, just that he’d appeal to a contender as a 3rd/4th tall.
I don’t doubt it, it’s just that I can’t recall him expressing any interest in wanting out before or clubs going after him.
Can we pick him up as a UFA, pay him a mill a year and get band one compo?

I think Owens and Phillipou are seen as those high half forwards of the future. Membrey would be a good get for a side close like Sydney and play him as a true KPF. His best footy is as a lead up forward.

I'll be sad to see him go because he was one of the few good players in a bad era but think we need to start to develop kids in the role and he deserves a crack at a flag before he retires.
We dont need kids as high half forwards, we need mids mids and then even more mids

We dont need kids as high half forwards, we need mids mids and then even more mids

We do but you need to draft or recruit them to have them. We haven't been a club that rates them in the last 15 years. We seem to draft them at a much lower rate than other sides. Owens might not be as good in heavy traffic at contested ball as he is where he can battle one out. Phillipou looks more like a mid forward or utility than a pure onballer.

Geelong have a list that I think we would like to emulate. A couple of good on ballers but lots of outside run and guys that can play multiple positions well.

We do but you need to draft or recruit them to have them. We haven't been a club that rates them in the last 15 years. We seem to draft them at a much lower rate than other sides. Owens might not be as good in heavy traffic at contested ball as he is where he can battle one out. Phillipou looks more like a mid forward or utility than a pure onballer.

Geelong have a list that I think we would like to emulate. A couple of good on ballers but lots of outside run and guys that can play multiple positions well.
Also a strong argument about our development of them too TBH.

I would trade anyone older than Max King for picks if someone came with a decent offer,
Any/all of steele, sinclair, wilkie, marshall on the table then?

(I actually agree with you- but just wanted to make sure that's what you meant.)

I think our list profile is a mess- if we really are setting up for a tilt at a flag 3 years from now- we should definately be looking to cash in 1 or 2 of the above guns for high picks or elite kids.

It's gutless if we don't.

Any/all of steele, sinclair, wilkie, marshall on the table then?

(I actually agree with you- but just wanted to make sure that's what you meant.)

I think our list profile is a mess- if we really are setting up for a tilt at a flag 3 years from now- we should definately be looking to cash in 1 or 2 of the above guns for high picks or elite kids.

It's gutless if we don't.
If we start trading the names you listed, a flag window won't be in 3 years time. It will be another 8-10 years and thats only if we pick up players half as good as them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we start trading the names you listed, a flag window won't be in 3 years time. It will be another 8-10 years and thats only if we pick up players half as good as them.
Flag window is in reality 8-10 years regardless by keeping them all and depending on ALL of the likes of pou, windhager, owens, wilson to become elite guns.
Plus depending on all of steele, sinclair, wilkie, marshall to remain gun players well into their 30s.

That's a fantasy.

At least in my fantasy we try and align our list so all our elite talent hit their theoretical peak years together.

Flag window is in reality 8-10 years regardless by keeping them all and depending on ALL of the likes of pou, windhager, owens, wilson to become elite guns.
Plus depending on all of steele, sinclair, wilkie, marshall to remain gun players well into their 30s.

That's a fantasy.

At least in my fantasy we try and align our list so all our elite talent hit their theoretical peak years together.
Your option has a history of failure when implemented by other teams.

It doesn't work.

On Pixel 6a using BigFooty.com mobile app

Also a strong argument about our development of them too TBH.

We took Dunny and then a long wait until we traded in Steele with Stuv and Armo the only other real mid on the list. We took Koby Stevens too I guess but we didn't seem to want to develop any. Freezer and Hanners to the list of bin scraps.

You really need a bulk of them at any one time so you have three + in the VFL as depth and development as well as a few in the seniors every week.

We had that period where 2we went for HBFs and utilities and tried to make them into mids.

Your option has a history of failure when implemented by other teams.

It doesn't work.

On Pixel 6a using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'm not talking about a scorched earth firesale of anyone over 25.

I'm talking out us entertaining letting 1 or at most 2 of the likes of marshall, steele sinclair go if we got a fantastic offer for them- ie elite early 20's talents.

If our new strategy under ross really is to be pushing for a flag 3 years from now- this should be a pretty uncontroversial stand.

These guys are all going to be well into their 30s in 3 years.
Not saying chuck them out for whatever we can get.

Simply saying we should be open to any great offers- there should be no sacred cows on our list over ~27 if we are serious about our flag window now being ~3 years away.

I'm talking out us entertaining letting 1 or at most 2 of the likes of marshall, steele sinclair go if we got a fantastic offer for them- ie elite early 20's talents.

If our new strategy under ross really is to be pushing for a flag 3 years from now- this should be a pretty uncontroversial stand.

Ok fair enough.

But it would need to be a pretty handy offer because there are no guarantees with the draft as we have seen with Billings, Clark, Coffield etc..

One of the other problems or challenges would be that you kind of have to offer them all up in order to pry one or two free.

Then you may lose more than you want or just cause general unwanted upheaval and angst among the playing group.

That's a fantasy.

That's if any become elite. You are more likely to nab a flag as the old crew now get to around 30 based off Geelong and Collingwood but ably supported by the best of the youth coming on.

I think this season is shot so may as well just write it off as a stable where injury got us and fixture suspension and all the rest bit.

Grab a good player in the draft for which there are a heap of elite looking mids and reload for next year with the kids all that much more experienced.

That's if any become elite. You are more likely to nab a flag as the old crew now get to around 30 based off Geelong and Collingwood but ably supported by the best of the youth coming on.

I think this season is shot so may as well just write it off as a stable where injury got us and fixture suspension and all the rest bit.

Grab a good player in the draft for which there are a heap of elite looking mids and reload for next year with the kids all that much more experienced.
This is all that's left for us this season I reckon. Flogging the senior players to jag 9th would be an utter waste.

Not saying chuck them out for whatever we can get.

Simply saying we should be open to any great offers- there should be no sacred cows on our list over ~27 if we are serious about our flag window now being ~3 years away.
100% agree, as long as we get a pick better than mid teens for each of Steele, Sincs and Marshall. Then we take all 3 picks plus our own FRDP to the Draft. ie. Not trade for other players. We need to keep adding young guns to our already impressive young Core....

I like Membrey but for me King, Caminiti and Sharman are the future. I think it’s been pretty undersold how good Caminiti has been TBH so Membrey’s would be replaceable. We need to take as many picks to the draft as possible so anyone that can be easily replaced should be “Gresham’d” as someone put it the other day.

I like Membrey but for me King, Caminiti and Sharman are the future. I think it’s been pretty undersold how good Caminiti has been TBH so Membrey’s would be replaceable. We need to take as many picks to the draft as possible so anyone that can be easily replaced should be “Gresham’d” as someone put it the other day.
King definitely, hopefully Caminiti is but Sharman hasn't shown much at all this year. Hopefully he can turn his form around but he hasn't been playing well enough to be making list decisions around him being a long term player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back