List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

This year is a write off, send the players off early for surgery from around round 18, draft the best mods available, make a play at McLuggage (very unlikely), let Membrey walk as a UFA and then go again in 2025.

We can't trade our established stars, it would just backfire and we don't need any more fringe players.

We need more Owens, Windhager and Wilson types and we will only get them through the draft. Another top 10 pick this year is vital, can't trade it.
We're getting drafted StFly Hubnester

You're getting close to throwing out the baby with your bong water here pal.
Steele, Sinclair & Marshall. You could add Wilkie to this list as well but I would not trade him. He is durable and will play many more years...

I'm going to go into bat (a little) for our troll mate Lifestyle.

Yes Lifestyle is way off base suggesting we trade any (let alone all) of steele, wilkie, sincs and marshal in for late first rounders.

But..... Lifestyle's overall/general reasoning behind their insane suggestion isn't so insane.

Lifestyle reckons our next shot at a flag is with the next gen (basically everyone 25 and under).

There is certainly a valid argument that could be true.

Lifestyle is obviously going a step too far in proposing we ship anyone of value over 25 out for some magic beans... but aside from that overstep- the reasoning isn't insane.

I personally disagree (I think our best shot at a flag is in the next 2-3 years max)... but I can see that we as a list are stuck between 2 worlds:

Guys like sincs, steele, hil, marshall etc will be losing their peak just at the same time guys like pou, owens, wilson etc will be hitting theirs.

I'm going to go into bat (a little) for our troll mate Lifestyle.

Yes Lifestyle is way off base suggesting we trade any (let alone all) of steele, wilkie, sincs and marshal in for late first rounders.

But..... Lifestyle's overall/general reasoning behind their insane suggestion isn't so insane.

Lifestyle reckons our next shot at a flag is with the next gen (basically everyone 25 and under).

There is certainly a valid argument that could be true.

Lifestyle is obviously going a step too far in proposing we ship anyone of value over 25 out for some magic beans... but aside from that overstep- the reasoning isn't insane.

I personally disagree (I think our best shot at a flag is in the next 2-3 years max)... but I can see that we as a list are stuck between 2 worlds:

Guys like sincs, steele, hil, marshall etc will be losing their peak just at the same time guys like pou, owens, wilson etc will be hitting theirs.
Firstly I am not a Troll and secondly I am not advocating getting rid of steele, wilkie, sincs and marshal for late first rounders. What I am saying is that if any team is willing to trade pick 15 or better for any of Sinclair, Steele & Marshall we should take it. The key here is that we do one of these trades per year. ie. Sinclair this year as he is the oldest. Steele at the end of next year and then Marshal the year after. Bear in my mind if we didn't get pick 15 or better I would not do the trade. This would enable us to go to the Draft each year for the next 3 with 2 FRDP's instead of just the normal 1.

I am not advocating getting rid of steele, wilkie, sincs and marshal for late first rounders. What I am saying is that if any team is willing to trade pick 15 or better for any of Sinclair, Steele & Marshall we should take it.

Jimmy Fallon Seriously GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

You keep 90% of the fabric of the club and sell one externally valuable mid-range player to turbocharge your draft.

Unfortunately, we don't have any externally popular players who aren't all fabric already because our list has been so starved for talent for so long. Maybe Sinclair, Marshall, Steele, and possibly Nas are the only Saints players who would move the needle of rival list mangers.

The rest fall into the "Only if it's cheap" category. remember Josh Bruce and a battered up Jack Steven being sold for three fifths of heck all, remember Blake Acres being given away as steak knives for Hill deal? Most of our players would have similar value to oppo clubs, as much as we think they're great or at least decent.

Even young up and comers that we love, like Windy or Owens, would get 2rdp offers at the most, that's the sad truth.

Most clubs see our list with unclouded cold ruthless loveless eyes and what they see is very very average.

So as ludicrous as Trollstyle Saints's suggestion that we trade Steele or Sinclair is, its really not worth doing other trades for any other reason than to clear list/cap space (or for player wishes of course).

Personally I'm at the stage where I might be tempted... but they're both too old now to be that valuable to get a huge offer anyway, so forget it.

You keep 90% of the fabric of the club and sell one externally valuable mid-range player to turbocharge your draft.

Unfortunately, we don't have any externally popular players who aren't all fabric already because our list has been so starved for talent for so long. Maybe Sinclair, Marshall, Steele, and possibly Nas are the only Saints players who would move the needle of rival list mangers.

The rest fall into the "Only if it's cheap" category. remember Josh Bruce and a battered up Jack Steven being sold for three fifths of * all, remember Blake Acres being given away as steak knives for Hill deal? Most of our players would have similar value to oppo clubs, as much as we think they're great or at least decent.

Even young up and comers that we love, like Windy or Owens, would get 2rdp offers at the most, that's the sad truth.

Most clubs see our list with unclouded cold ruthless loveless eyes and what they see is very very average.

So as ludicrous as Trollstyle Saints's suggestion that we trade Steele or Sinclair is, its really not worth doing other trades for any other reason than to clear list/cap space (or for player wishes of course).

Personally I'm at the stage where I might be tempted... but they're both too old now to be that valuable to get a huge offer anyway, so forget it.
My memory is that Acres wasn't steak knives but the deal breaker - Freo wouldn't make the trade if Acres wasn't included.

Plus- brisbanes cap must be absolutely bursting.

He will be walking away from a lot of money (from the likes of us) to stay.

Which of course he might well do- but he is an attacking mid/wing who often (despite playing an outside role for bris) racks up a dozen + contested possies a game.

He's exactly the kind of guy we need to help steele out in the centre square
We need 2 someone's desperately to help out Steele and crouch next year.

Be interested to see how Crouch's knee recovers. There has been some suggestion his knee is chronic putting some doubt over his future.

Either way we still need more midfield talent as Crouch is very much a 100 metres gained per game player.

I cannot believe people still believe we should be trading for players. Have we not learned anything over the last decade? Lets say we trade our FRDP and SRDP for Bailey Smith. That would mean we have no picks of value to take to the draft. That is cutting your nose to spite your face and totally laughable in my honest opinion....
Lists are built on both drafting & trading players in

My suggestion is that we already have one of those someone's- jack sinclair as a fulltime centre square mid.

(grab caleb daniel for free draft cost as a salary dump to play HB).

Add a guy like mcluggage, also maybe a macrae (as another salary dump) and suddenly our best 22 look like a top 4 team I reckon-
Strong fwd line and mids,
Elite wings, ruck and defence.

We're getting drafted StFly Hubnester

Just as our idol F.Gehrig, I'll line up at FF, play one match, say how my RA is bullshit, retire undefeated and boast about it to no end.

As is proper, I'll then have some pastries with sauce.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Correct, however premiership lists are first built through the Draft and then when the list becomes a top 4 list then and only then you use FA's and trading....

We have traded for GOP's to make up for abysmal drafting.
Since 2003 to 2017 we have only drafted 4 players who played 200 games for the Saints ( possibility for 5).
We drafted 1.4 50 game players a year and around 1 1000 game players per year.
So after a decade like that, we've got maybe 10 keepers.

We traded in 9 players ( from all our trades ) who made it to 50 StKilda games , but only 6 made it to 100 games.
( counting Membrey as a trade ).

We trade to bring in the GOP's and that results in less picks in the lottery draft.
Most of our trades don't even get to 50 games, so then we need to replace them and round and round we go.

I would like to think that we drafted better recently.
Surely at least 2 of Nas, Mitch, and Windy will reach 100 games for us.
the following draft is looking dicey, i'd hop Pou makes 100, but some of the others need to more their butts.
I'd hope we get 2 or 3 100 gamers from the current draft crop.

If you can average 2 100 game players per year, after a decade's drafting you have a pretty solid group.
Then you can afford to be a bit clever.

50 game players are like Paton. He might struggle through and get back onto the list or he might get delisted.
They come and go.

Don't want to lose him but if a club offered Battle $800k and he generated a 1st round pick (directly after our first pick) I wonder if we'd take that?
It's a big question. I'd want to see Schoenmaker and Keeler debut and look like they are up to it, I'd want Van Es to be past his ankle issues and I'd want Dougal on the block first. I can see it though and if we are confident about getting Cole I'd be even happier.

The question is if Josh wanted to go would he go for the bucks at a lower club or for a better shot at say Swans or Collingwood. Not much point moving to a club around the same level as us.

Don't want to lose him but if a club offered Battle $800k and he generated a 1st round pick (directly after our first pick) I wonder if we'd take that?
Won’t generate a first round pick. The afl is apparently going to be very reluctant to give them out as compensation from now on

Firstly I am not a Troll and secondly I am not advocating getting rid of steele, wilkie, sincs and marshal for late first rounders. What I am saying is that if any team is willing to trade pick 15 or better for any of Sinclair, Steele & Marshall we should take it. The key here is that we do one of these trades per year. ie. Sinclair this year as he is the oldest. Steele at the end of next year and then Marshal the year after. Bear in my mind if we didn't get pick 15 or better I would not do the trade. This would enable us to go to the Draft each year for the next 3 with 2 FRDP's instead of just the normal 1.
Oppo supporters.gif

Seriously overrating them gringo imo and there’s a reason both have been out of favour.

Both are much better players than a lot of ours. The Dogs are trying to play kids to move forward and not play the same old crew that have fallen short. Macrae is a bit lower hurt factor than some f the absolute elite mids but he's still an extremely good player. Daniel was the best distributor back man in footy for a few years and his kicking is absolutely elite.

The two of them would have more All Australians than the whole Saints list put together..

The rest fall into the "Only if it's cheap" category. remember Josh Bruce and a battered up Jack Steven being sold for three fifths of * all, remember Blake Acres being given away as steak knives for Hill deal? Most of our players would have similar value to oppo clubs, as much as we think they're great or at least decent.

He's a quality troll at least. I'd suggest he should be referred to as Trolstoy for his craft.

Yep, we've got heck all to trade because we haven't been able to stock pile talent like other clubs due to poor drafting and a top up policy before we were ready for it and lack of success doesn't have other clubs chasing cast offs to get IP.

Realistically we need to start finding some cheaper semi established talent and drafting while looking at some big name FAs.

My memory is that Acres wasn't steak knives but the deal breaker - Freo wouldn't make the trade if Acres wasn't included.

Yeah, right. Hill was always coming. Bell just bent our amateurs over. We suggested Acres on top of offering a first rounder, second rounder and a bunch of other picks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back