List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

if we finish bottom 5/6 and Battle gets us band 1 compo, we have to go for it. He's a great player but we need mids with class, then more mids with class, then more mids with class after that. We'll probably screw it up Clark/Coffield style but a chance at top end talent is what we are after.

We should look at all the high accumulation mids available. I tried to suggest that we chase Matt Crouch, Lipinski, Tom Mitchell, Libba and a heap of other clearance mids and got laughed at.

We should be looking at guys like Macrae who might want out. Otherwise some pre developed mids. Finlay Macrae, Lazzaro, Sheldrick etc. Also look at some state players.

Will Snelling is still killing it in the SANFL. Finished 3rd in the Bombers B & F in 2021 before they delisted him when he was injured.

I hope we’re having a chat to Jaxon Binns, he’s blocked at Carlton and they have two father sons arriving. He’s young with a massive engine and good speed, way too good to be stuck playing vfl.

Won their vfl best and fairest in his first season and is still killing it but can’t break into the senior side. Surely he’s thinking a change of clubs could be the smart move. I liked this kid in his draft year and have been following his form.

I hope we’re having a chat to Jaxon Binns, he’s blocked at Carlton and they have two father sons arriving. He’s young with a massive engine and good speed, way too good to be stuck playing vfl.

Won their vfl best and fairest in his first season and is still killing it but can’t break into the senior side. Surely he’s thinking a change of clubs could be the smart move. I liked this kid in his draft year and have been following his form.

Yeah, I'm a big fan. Wish we'd got him. They also have guys like Ashton Moir in reserve who could be worth a look. He was a potential pick one in his under 17 year.

43 disposals for Binns on the weekend... nearly 20 more than the 2nd most disposals

Hard runner and more outside wingman than inside - not sure what his disposal is like?

He had a game in his draft year, might have been metro v country where he looked incredible off HBF. Reminded me of Lauchie Ash. Skills looked neat. I've watched the Blues VFL side and he looked good at that level too. Had an incredible 2023 which was his first year. In his 3rd VFL game he had over 30 disposals and 2 goals.

Surely no one actually thinks we’d get Band 1 Compo for Josh Battle

We should look at all the high accumulation mids available. I tried to suggest that we chase Matt Crouch, Lipinski, Tom Mitchell, Libba and a heap of other clearance mids and got laughed at.

We should be looking at guys like Macrae who might want out. Otherwise some pre developed mids. Finlay Macrae, Lazzaro, Sheldrick etc. Also look at some state players.

Will Snelling is still killing it in the SANFL. Finished 3rd in the Bombers B & F in 2021 before they delisted him when he was injured.

I would like to draft and develop 2 quality mids, as well as going after some seniors for experience. We aren't winning anything without a quality midfield and with as good as Josh is, I'd take the chance on trying for a Brayshaw / Cerra draft and failing rather than going on the crap midfield merry go round again.
All of this is moot if someone (hawthorn) doesn't overpay for battle.

I would like to draft and develop 2 quality mids, as well as going after some seniors for experience. We aren't winning anything without a quality midfield and with as good as Josh is, I'd take the chance on trying for a Brayshaw / Cerra draft and failing rather than going on the crap midfield merry go round again.
Apparently has multiple suiters. Pies pretty keen as are north. All got lots of cash

(Log in to remove this ad.)

if we finish bottom 5/6 and Battle gets us band 1 compo, we have to go for it. He's a great player but we need mids with class, then more mids with class, then more mids with class after that. We'll probably screw it up Clark/Coffield style but a chance at top end talent is what we are after.
If we can get pick 5 and 6 (battle pick), then trade in 1 or 2 youngish mids (2nd round special like Will Philips, Berry), a ruckman that can actual win tap outs, then our midfield will be transformed very quickly.

If we can get pick 5 and 6 (battle pick), then trade in 1 or 2 youngish mids (2nd round special like Will Philips, Berry), a ruckman that can actual win tap outs, then our midfield will be transformed very quickly.
I don't see how we get a first round compo for Battle.

Losing Battle to me isn't an option. We are going backwards if we lose Josh Battle, he's one of our best players and right in the age bracket we are lacking. Would be gut-wrenching to lose him.

Battle won't be easy to replace. To me we just don't have enough fat to trim anything off without hurting ourselves.

I don't see how we get a first round compo for Battle.

Losing Battle to me isn't an option. We are going backwards if we lose Josh Battle, he's one of our best players and right in the age bracket we are lacking. Would be gut-wrenching to lose him.

Agreed. Prime of his career, extremely versatile, gives it everything, clean by hand and foot, well respected at the club, and bleeds red, white and black. It would hurt.

Battle won't be easy to replace. To me we just don't have enough fat to trim anything off without hurting ourselves.
We have absolutely zero fat.
We should probably lose Membrey, Seb, Jones Allison and consider Hotton and Heath if they don't have the goods.
Doogs if he can be replaced with a younger FA.
Hayes if we can get a half reasonable offer while he still holds together.

It won’t happen, so it doesn’t matter, but if someone offered pick 6 for battle you’d take it for where our list is at.
Bank two top ten picks and back in Arie or Keeler.

Had an interesting discussion with a mate this morning.

He thinks we should go after Hawkins for a 2 year playing/coaching role.

To help get the best out of Max and Hammer.

I've heard worse ideas.

On CPH2145 using BigFooty.com mobile app
Been talking about this for weeks now - great idea imo

King will benefit from having more big bodies alongside him.

Perhaps Marshall in the forward line making a key defender accountable. He has got the tank and marking power to get up the ground and provide good transition. I reckon he could play that Harry McKay / Aaron Naughton role. And Marshall would be an excellent back up ruck. Structurally it’s got potential and could be an option if we got a good young ruck in the Visenti mould.

Caminiti or Sharman as third banana could get off the leash as well.

I think we brought Dalrymple in knowing we are hitting the draft. And Lyon has been vocal about continuing to go back to that well.

If we’re going to be aggressively hunting draft picks, I’d probably prefer to trade Collard to Freo for one of their 3? first rounders, rather than lose Battle. And I really like Collards skill set (it’s got sizzle), but at this stage he’s still an unknown.

If we could get an early second for Clark I’d take it. And trading Mason Wood now for a second (using the yes he’s old but is good for culture pitch) would be the definition of buy low sell high. And he’s not in our demographic if we’re brutally honest.

We’ve been caught again by blathering on about being a top 4 side and planning our trading etc on that. Thankfully we’ve moved on but the damage has been done. The older guys who should have been traded out that actually had value are now too old to get the returns we need. The next line coming through like battle are needed firstly for their talent and secondly so we don’t end up with a bunch of kids and no senior players around them.

In the nfl it’s generally accepted that you get the best value and results by trading players a year early rather than a year late. Anyway imo there’s no way we’ll get first round compo for battle so it’s really a moot point, offer him the contract he deserves and get on with planning for next year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back