VFL 2024 VFL Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Same as Caleb Daniel listed at CHB. He could really make that position his own.
And Clarke & Bedendo as the KPFs!

Yeah, I know. That's why I'm a bit sceptical about any named position. Especially in the VFL.

Okay what are we doing with Gardner in the ruck? We recruited Owen to play ruck in the VFL when Smith missed and Gardner is never going to play ruck minutes at AFL level

Okay what are we doing with Gardner in the ruck? We recruited Owen to play ruck in the VFL when Smith missed and Gardner is never going to play ruck minutes at AFL level
Its pointless for the reason you state but if Gardner is in the AFL side at any position we've got bigger issues.

Gardner is unlikely to feature in our backline unless we get probably 3 injuries. Jones, JoD, Buku look like locks. If one of Buku or JoD gets hurt we don't even necessarily have to replace them with a tall.

Keath seems to be preferred. Busslinger and Croft are investments that need consistent backline minutes in the vfl. Keath is also a good vocal leader to have around those two younger lads down there each week for Footscray.

We tried pumping him up in the face of criticism, and that he clearly was trying to do what was asked of him as a team oriented role player, but he's always been very limited. He can spoil reasonably well, is mobile for a tall, but is basically subpar or worse in every other facet. Panicky and prone to turnovers around goals. Poorly skilled and can't execute switches. Can't defend the ground ball at all.

He's been thrown into the ruck because we're stuck with him for another two seasons and is now waaaaaaaaaay down the line as we've spent first round picks on Busslinger and Croft. And if we do get injuries, we know what we'll get out of him in the backline, for better/worse. Gards is also unlikely to complain if coaches throw him about positionally. I think if he's told to do something he will generally try his best.

Don't think this is some interesting tactical move, we're just trying to find something to do with him while we have him under contract and it's obvious he isn't an AFL level defender, especially with younger more talented prospects about.

Footscray has made four changes to its round four team ahead of a double-header with Williamstown on Saturday afternoon.

Senior Bulldog Oskar Baker has been included, as has Jarrod Gilbee, Kai Stretton and debutant Connor Watson.

Rory Lobb, James Harmes
and Riley Garcia earned AFL selection – playing in last night’s 60-point win.
Tristan Maple also makes way.

The first bounce will be 3.05pm at DSV Stadium tomorrow afternoon, with the ‘Scray looking to continue their unbeaten streak this season.

The match will also be live-streamed via afl.com.au/vfl/ for those who can’t make it, with game-day updates also available via @FootscrayVFL on X (Twitter).

Prior to the VFL, the VFLW Bulldogs will play at the same venue. The first bounce will be at 10am AEST.

VFL Team | Round 4

Williamstown v Footscray
Saturday 20 April, 3.05pm AEST
DSV Stadium, Williamstown (Bunurong)

B: Keath, Busslinger, Cleary
HB: Poulter, Daniel, Hunt
C: Scott, Orgill, Freijah
HF: Baker, Clarke, McNeil
F: Croft, Bedendo, A. Jones
R: Gardner, Craig-Peters, Bianco
IC: Willoughby, Spicer, Gilbee, Stretton, Watson
EMG: Kellett, Montgomerie, Maple, C. Smith

In: Baker, Gilbee, Stretton, Watson
Out: Lobb (AFL), Garcia (AFL), Harmes (AFL), Maple
What sort of player is Watson?

Gardner is unlikely to feature in our backline unless we get probably 3 injuries. Jones, JoD, Buku look like locks. If one of Buku or JoD gets hurt we don't even necessarily have to replace them with a tall.

Keath seems to be preferred. Busslinger and Croft are investments that need consistent backline minutes in the vfl. Keath is also a good vocal leader to have around those two younger lads down there each week for Footscray.

We tried pumping him up in the face of criticism, and that he clearly was trying to do what was asked of him as a team oriented role player, but he's always been very limited. He can spoil reasonably well, is mobile for a tall, but is basically subpar or worse in every other facet. Panicky and prone to turnovers around goals. Poorly skilled and can't execute switches. Can't defend the ground ball at all.

He's been thrown into the ruck because we're stuck with him for another two seasons and is now waaaaaaaaaay down the line as we've spent first round picks on Busslinger and Croft. And if we do get injuries, we know what we'll get out of him in the backline, for better/worse. Gards is also unlikely to complain if coaches throw him about positionally. I think if he's told to do something he will generally try his best.

Don't think this is some interesting tactical move, we're just trying to find something to do with him while we have him under contract and it's obvious he isn't an AFL level defender, especially with younger more talented prospects about.
Yep, not a tactical move but no room for him even in the VFL backline with Keath, Buss, and Croft developing. His best chance though is probably actually to play up around the ball and develop some better composure with ball in hand.

I would suggest that it's for match fitness as much as anything, since he's coming back from injury.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We’re severely lacking forward half talls and have way too many defensive talls.

It’s very hard to play Keath, Busslinger, Gardner & Croft together and they have no ruckman or key forward.

Basically sacrificing Gardner and his game. I wonder how he feels about it.

We’re severely lacking forward half talls and have way too many defensive talls.

It’s very hard to play Keath, Busslinger, Gardner & Croft together and they have no ruckman or key forward.

I’d reckon he would be happy to do anything he can to help the team.

I believe Owen is recovering from an injury

He is lucky to be on the list tbh 😂

Tom Downie is AFL quality. Only left the system for mental health reasons. He could walk back onto a list if he wanted.

Clark is building so quickly, needs to make sure he finishes well though he can be a bit hit and miss which isn’t ideal for a small forward like him, needs to be taking his chances. great endeavour early though

Big game for quite a few players. We look a lot skinnier without Lobb & Garcia. Of course Daniel is expected to dominate, but really want to see players like Cleary, Busslinger, Bedendo, and Jones to step up and spearhead a result.

Finally get the first goal of the game after Willi have been peppering the goals. As stated before though, we have zero height up forward especially when Croft roams up the ground.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back