Player Watch #21: Callum Coleman-Jones - out for season after suffering Achilles rupture vs CFC on GoodFriday - go well CCJ

Remove this Banner Ad

That doesnt sound good for CCJ.

No wonder we drafted a ruck. Still, you wouldn't expect them to throw Coad into the no.1 ruck roll? They must have a lot of confidence in Free as the back-up? Real chance Free might have to play some senior games in 2024. :sick:
Reckon Xerri does it on his own with a chop out from Chom.

Regardless of concussion issues, I reckon we can pretty much put a line through CCJ.

That doesnt sound good for CCJ.

No wonder we drafted a ruck. Still, you wouldn't expect them to throw Coad into the no.1 ruck roll? They must have a lot of confidence in Free as the back-up? Real chance Free might have to play some senior games in 2024. :sick:
Finnbar vs CCJ for the CHF/ruck spot

Assuming comben as rumoured goes to CHB

Is he able to run?
I was there on Wednesday and he was running laps (very quickly to my non-footballer eyes, but I don't know what's average for footballers). So he can definitely run. Sucks to hear that he's still struggling with concussion issues, I'm really rooting for him after that purple patch during the middle of last year.

I was there on Wednesday and he was running laps (very quickly to my non-footballer eyes, but I don't know what's average for footballers). So he can definitely run. Sucks to hear that he's still struggling with concussion issues, I'm really rooting for him after that purple patch during the middle of last year.
I think purple patch is over-selling it. He kicked 4 goals in 4 games. He was very good against Sydney (but that in itself doesn't constitute a 'patch'), had a decent game against Essendon and two poor ones on either side of that. Wouldn't exactly call that a purple patch.

He has played 19 games for the club (mostly forward) and kicked 9 goals.

His output for the price paid and where he should be at 24 years old is nowhere near it.

As I said his future if he does have one at AFL level isn't as a ruckman, he's immobile, slow and doesn't have the ruck craft and ability to use his size that being immobile and slow and being effective in ruck requires. His future also isn't as a CHF, the athleticism isn't there, nor is the creativity and workrate required in the modern game. If anything he'll be a close to goal big bodied forward but to be that he needs to be far more consistent at doing that one thing he is actually good at it which is marking it. He drops far too many easy ones.

I think purple patch is over-selling it. He kicked 4 goals in 4 games. He was very good against Sydney (but that in itself doesn't constitute a 'patch'), had a decent game against Essendon and two poor ones on either side of that. Wouldn't exactly call that a purple patch.

He has played 19 games for the club (mostly forward) and kicked 9 goals.

His output for the price paid and where he should be at 24 years old is nowhere near it.

As I said his future if he does have one at AFL level isn't as a ruckman, he's immobile, slow and doesn't have the ruck craft and ability to use his size that being immobile and slow and being effective in ruck requires. His future also isn't as a CHF, the athleticism isn't there, nor is the creativity and workrate required in the modern game. If anything he'll be a close to goal big bodied forward but to be that he needs to be far more consistent at doing that one thing he is actually good at it which is marking it. He drops far too many easy ones.
We know you don't like him, bro

Don’t like him? Just giving an honest opinion and backing it up. Hope he succeeds like every other player at the club.

Whether I rate him or not is irrelevant, I hope he’s successful.
You expend a lot of words and energy criticising him on here. A lot. I just don't want to see you cultivate the reputation of certain others on here who vocally air their disapproval of individual players

Anything from CCJ would be a fantastic result. So far he is useless. In my opinion one of the worst trade deals of recent times. I have little faith on what he has shown to date at NM. If he finds that next step and becomes a valueluable contributor then, like many others, I will be very pleased to eat humble pie.

You expend a lot of words and energy criticising him on here. A lot. I just don't want to see you cultivate the reputation of certain others on here who vocally air their disapproval of individual players
Sure. I would counter that if people would cease rewriting history it would remove the need for me to expend any energy on the subject.

However mate i’m happy to park it until the footy starts in 24’ 👍

Imo the critisism is warrented and on the money, iam amazed at the excuses leveled out on this bloke, big men take time, concussion issues, kicked a bag in tne magoos etc... it times i get the impression i have been watching a different bloke.

Possibly i could have cut him a bit more slack if we picked him up in the rookie drsft but the bloke was traded for pick 19 ffs. Anyway he wont be on the list next year which is pretty obvious looking at the potential replacements we picked and will follow the congaline of terrable drafting decisions of recent history that hopefully we see far less of.

It sucks that he's been having long term concussion symptoms, and I hope that he gets back to good health, regardless of whether he plays or not.

Aside from the time he has been out though, nothing he's done in the ones has given me any confidence he will become a consistent contributor, happy to be proven wrong if he does. Just shows the folly of trading pick 19 for a fringe player, said it at the time that if it was going to be that costly, and he wanted Richmond to get paid, we should just walk away, but alas...

After multiple wooden spoons and bottom-four finishes, we're yet to do anything with PSD leverage, we're just suckers

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Get better soon CCJ :(

Lingering effects from concussion is terrifying, I really hope he recovers soonest.

I still have immense faith that he can deliver a good career. Better incoming deliver to his big mits and responsibility to own a position will hopefully get him to blossom.

Symptoms having gradually been subsiding the last few weeks and he is being more involved involved in training, if things keep progressing he should be back into full contact early in 2024
I hope he puts his health first - symptoms of this duration suggest another knock is not in his best interests

who bumped this spuds thread??
I thought he was ok in the stretch of games we played at Marvel last year. He wasn't great, but there were signs. Which is probably the time our midfield started to improve (Wardlaw, Sheezal and Will). So who knows, he might be one player who improves when the delivery improves. But he needs to play well at all grounds. Not just Marvel stadium.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back