Past #21: Dom Tyson aka 'Tom Dyson' - delisted end '21 - 6 NM games/1 NM goal - 113 AFL games - good luck DomTom

Remove this Banner Ad

I honestly don't know how he's going to fit into the midfield mix, but if he can earn consistent games then he'll be playing very well. Excited for him after watching that interview.

If he's in good form, he's a walk up start as a centre square/contested ball midfielder.

Bit disappointed with that interview. Shows a lack of work ethic. To not know much about Jy and Dumont is negligent. You should know the in's and out's of your team mates and the opposition. As soon as the trade went through he should have locked himself in a room with Giantroo's videos playing and reading bigfooty player threads. before the first session Tyson should know Dumont's dogs name, and what Jy's tattoo means to him. It's why Jacobs is so good...he puts in the hours and homework off the track too.

I honestly don't know how he's going to fit into the midfield mix, but if he can earn consistent games then he'll be playing very well. Excited for him after watching that interview.

Same. Probably because I’ve never paid much attention to him, or Melbourne & GWS. No doubt he’ll play a lot of games, just not sure where he fits in the midfield hierarchy.

I come in Peace.

Just want to give my thoughts on Dom from a demon perspective and what to expect from him

I liked Dom, and was bit sad to see him go as I wanted to keep him purely as depth. But like all Melbourne supporters, we could see the writing on the wall for him. So im glad that he's going somewhere where he'll get greater opportunity as an inside mid.

When Dom came on board, he game Nathan Jones a huge chop out in 2014. Was almost our number 1 go to midfielder in the stoppages and thrived when the opportunity was placed on him. Since then he's had a few injury hiccups that's probably halted him a bit Yet still has played an important role in our midfield.

Its only been the last 2 years where we've just started to notice a decline in his form and ability to impact games. Slowly getting pushed out from the centre circle onto a wing where he's been greatly exposed for his lack of speed and ability to hit targets by foot when out in the open.

Unfortunately this is where he will frustrate a lot of you guys. Is quite slow and tends to make poor decision by by foot. When he is in and around stoppage, he tends to hold onto the ball instead of getting his hands clear to an outside player in the clear, which then results of him getting pinged for holding the ball. Why he continues to do this I have no idea. It has frustrated a lot of us fans the past couple of years.

This is why I think and hope he will get back to his natural position as an inside mid because he is not as exposed on the outside like he was the past 2 years. What you'll get with Dom in that case is someone that will get you your 20-25 disposals a game and a couple of clearances around the stoppages.

Leave him in there and just let him do his thing. No where else! I actually make the comparison to Brock Mclean when he was at Carlton and they tried to turn him into a half forward and he was just badly exposed for lack of speed and was then dropped and hit a form slump. Carlton then put him back to his natural position and he started racking up big numbers in the midfield and was actually making a decent impact as a grunt inside midfielder.

He will be a huge help for guys like Cunners, Dumont, Ziebell and Simpkin when he goes through the midfield because he will borrow in and do the dirty work.

I think Dom will be a great inclusion for you guys and hope as a fan of his he finds some real positive form for himself and you guys.. except when he's playing us!

Good luck Dom and good luck Roos for 2019.

7 clearances against Selwood, Dangerfield and Ablett. Oliver had 5 clearances.

The only thing this bloke needs is more opportunity.

Yeah - the right type of opportunity too.
The clearance load on Cunnington is massive. He carries a lot Ben and his numbers are excellent - however he can go missing. This is where I see Tyson playing a role to come in and take some of that load - just need to make sure it is the right type of load. Dom is one paced and won’t offer us much if he’s clocking up handball receives

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah - the right type of opportunity too.
The clearance load on Cunnington is massive. He carries a lot Ben and his numbers are excellent - however he can go missing. This is where I see Tyson playing a role to come in and take some of that load - just need to make sure it is the right type of load. Dom is one paced and won’t offer us much if he’s clocking up handball receives
Dommo could occupy a steady bench spot for this purpose.

I was here, but obviosly not interested enough to join the discussion about Powell. Enjoyed reliving the mild angst that we could have nabbed Woewodin with that pick...

Never seen the documentary "Back to the Future"?

The altered timeline of Woewodin taking a spot at Arden Street might've been huge.

He might've ended up as our Alistair Clarkson.

Instead here we* are 12 years later still making cheap gags about a bloke with a tiny head who didn't want to be on an AFL list.

*ok primarily just me

Who does he replace? I don't see him fitting into our midfield

I don't think it's 'replace' as much as 'pressure' our depth.

He won't be replacing a Cunners, Higgins, etc. What he will do is force the younger guys like Ahern, LDU, Anderson, etc. to just have to make sure they work hard for their spots and keep producing. Dom can produce pretty solid footy at a pretty consistent level - you know what you're going to get.

I think it's a good move by the club as we've not only bolstered our midfield depth (again), but also given a guy who by all accounts is not only a very professional footballer but also a great club-man another shot at improving himself. The better his output, the better the output of the younger guys has to be.

Very astute selection in that regard.

Releases Higgins to play more time up forward and on the outside where he can do real damage. This will also extend Higgo's career.

When Cunners is benched/forward we might actually be able to win a clearance.

I want Higgins through the guts the whole time. Resting forward occasionally.

I want Higgins through the guts the whole time. Resting forward occasionally.
Disagree massively. We have plenty of players who can win a clearance but few who can hit targets in space and kick goals. Higgins will excel in any position forward of centre.

Disposal numbers and AA jackets doesn't win you flags. Getting the most out of your team does.

Disagree massively. We have plenty of players who can win a clearance but few who can hit targets in space and kick goals. Higgins will excel in any position forward of centre.

Disposal numbers and AA jackets doesn't win you flags. Getting the most out of your team does.

Players playing their best position wins you flags.

Higgins has played his best footy for us through the middle. With Polec now, we have another mid who can hit targets when on the outside.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back