Past #21: Dom Tyson aka 'Tom Dyson' - delisted end '21 - 6 NM games/1 NM goal - 113 AFL games - good luck DomTom

Remove this Banner Ad

Players playing their best position wins you flags.

Higgins has played his best footy for us through the middle. With Polec now, we have another mid who can hit targets when on the outside.
Not true. I reckon we'd have 15 players on the list who would say centre square midfielder was there best position, yet they can't all play there.

Higgins was great playing midfield for us last year, but also kicked 39 goals in his first season for us. Versatility is king in football now and he's our most versatile player, to not utilise that would be folly. If we end up playing Jacobs on a wing or Anderson as a forward just to maintain Shaun's form as a midfielder it would likely come as a loss to the team's effectiveness as a whole.

Not true. I reckon we'd have 15 players on the list who would say centre square midfielder was there best position, yet they can't all play there.

Higgins was great playing midfield for us last year, but also kicked 39 goals in his first season for us. Versatility is king in football now and he's our most versatile player, to not utilise that would be folly. If we end up playing Jacobs on a wing or Anderson as a forward just to maintain Shaun's form as a midfielder it would likely come as a loss to the team's effectiveness as a whole.

I'm not advocating him never venturing forward, but he is best used through the midfield. Anderson and Jacobs play their best footy through the middle. Along with Cunners, LDU, Ahern etc we can't fit all of them in. Which is a good thing.

The problem with 'versatile' players generally is that they're not outstanding in any area. So you can be versatile all you want, but it counts for s**t if you aren't really good at the role you've been assigned because you want to fit in a whole bunch of other similar players.

I come in Peace.

Just want to give my thoughts on Dom from a demon perspective and what to expect from him

I liked Dom, and was bit sad to see him go as I wanted to keep him purely as depth. But like all Melbourne supporters, we could see the writing on the wall for him. So im glad that he's going somewhere where he'll get greater opportunity as an inside mid.

When Dom came on board, he game Nathan Jones a huge chop out in 2014. Was almost our number 1 go to midfielder in the stoppages and thrived when the opportunity was placed on him. Since then he's had a few injury hiccups that's probably halted him a bit Yet still has played an important role in our midfield.

Its only been the last 2 years where we've just started to notice a decline in his form and ability to impact games. Slowly getting pushed out from the centre circle onto a wing where he's been greatly exposed for his lack of speed and ability to hit targets by foot when out in the open.

Unfortunately this is where he will frustrate a lot of you guys. Is quite slow and tends to make poor decision by by foot. When he is in and around stoppage, he tends to hold onto the ball instead of getting his hands clear to an outside player in the clear, which then results of him getting pinged for holding the ball. Why he continues to do this I have no idea. It has frustrated a lot of us fans the past couple of years.

This is why I think and hope he will get back to his natural position as an inside mid because he is not as exposed on the outside like he was the past 2 years. What you'll get with Dom in that case is someone that will get you your 20-25 disposals a game and a couple of clearances around the stoppages.

Leave him in there and just let him do his thing. No where else! I actually make the comparison to Brock Mclean when he was at Carlton and they tried to turn him into a half forward and he was just badly exposed for lack of speed and was then dropped and hit a form slump. Carlton then put him back to his natural position and he started racking up big numbers in the midfield and was actually making a decent impact as a grunt inside midfielder.

He will be a huge help for guys like Cunners, Dumont, Ziebell and Simpkin when he goes through the midfield because he will borrow in and do the dirty work.

I think Dom will be a great inclusion for you guys and hope as a fan of his he finds some real positive form for himself and you guys.. except when he's playing us!

Good luck Dom and good luck Roos for 2019.
Thanks for your input.

Enjoy Natalie Portman...:mad:

If you're a golfer and need new merch get behind Tom and his Golf brand: https://www.clutchandco.com.au/

(block this ad https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/account/upgrades ;) :moustache:)

There are plenty of Harvard graduate actresses........ aren't there?
Happy to invite:
  • Amanda Peet (Columbia)
  • Jordana Brewster (Yale)
  • Rashida Jones (Harvard)

I'm not advocating him never venturing forward, but he is best used through the midfield. Anderson and Jacobs play their best footy through the middle. Along with Cunners, LDU, Ahern etc we can't fit all of them in. Which is a good thing.

The problem with 'versatile' players generally is that they're not outstanding in any area. So you can be versatile all you want, but it counts for s**t if you aren't really good at the role you've been assigned because you want to fit in a whole bunch of other similar players.
I don't think that's Shaun's problem though. If he played HFF he would still be a matchwinner for us. That said I think he'll play less midfield minutes but still be a predominantly a mid.

Natalie who?
Give me Ronda anytime View attachment 592505

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
putersmash.gif

Couldn't agree more. More versatility = more options.

Few realise Ben Jacobs invented the Jason O'Connor ATO scam purely to scramble his next opponent's mental preparation during the week.

When you think about it, it’s curious how Ben Jacobs has become a universal hero with North supporters mainly on the back of burying Trent Richmond in the MCG. Since then, he’s rarely made it onto the park. Before 2015, most of us thought he was going to be a bust. I’m not saying he doesn’t deserve the accolades, mind you...

When you think about it, it’s curious how Ben Jacobs has become a universal hero with North supporters mainly on the back of burying Trent Richmond in the MCG. Since then, he’s rarely made it onto the park. Before 2015, most of us thought he was going to be a bust. I’m not saying he doesn’t deserve the accolades, mind you...

When fit, Jacobs is far and away the best tagger in the league. He not only blankets his opponent, he beats them head to head. God I hope he stays fit next year.

When fit, Jacobs is far and away the best tagger in the league. He not only blankets his opponent, he beats them head to head. God I hope he stays fit next year.

Totally agree with this - in the games he played this year, he took it to another level. Not only was he blanketing his direct opponent, but also hurting them the other way. Imagine if we can get 18+ games out of him! :)

Also worth noting that the issue last year wasn't his foot - which in hindsight is a good thing. Hopefully he's over the concussion symptoms/neck trouble - which from all accounts he is?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Totally agree with this - in the games he played this year, he took it to another level. Not only was he blanketing his direct opponent, but also hurting them the other way. Imagine if we can get 18+ games out of him! :)

Also worth noting that the issue last year wasn't his foot - which in hindsight is a good thing. Hopefully he's over the concussion symptoms/neck trouble - which from all accounts he is?

Yeah, I think so. Wasn't it some sinus thing in the end rather than concussion issues, or something equally as bizarre?

In 2015 he started playing as a tagger in round 10. From that moment on he started collecting AFL players and putting him in his pocket. He stormed home in the BnF and finished 7th.

Please go to the doctor and get tested. I fear you've suffered a mini-stroke and it's impacted your memory.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/be...e/news-story/6bf633c9a7880719c4d938448c668d50

It wasn't most of us. Some reposted the infamous Sydney sit down gif from 2014 and declared him "deadwood". The reality is most understood that he came to North with 2 busted ankles and needed time to recover. Scott understood his importance in the team and that is why he played him out of position in the back half of 2014 (as a halfback). Once a position opened up in the midfield he proved his worth but a lack of conditioning meant he would blow up by the 3rd. He worked on getting his body right and fitness and that's why he was able to shut down so many midfielders. Not only that he puts in a tonne of work off-field. He studies his opponents with the midfield coaches and also helps the young recruits do the same. He has the added flexibility of being able to find the ball if the tag needs to come off.

He 100% deserves the accolades and his injuries have cost us more than any other player.

Webp.net-gifmaker.gif

Last edited:

Hes also a great age for us. He aint 29 or anything. he's 26. If he stays healthy, hes got another 5 years atleast in him.

In 2015 he started playing as a tagger in round 10. From that moment on he started collecting AFL players and putting him in his pocket. He stormed home in the BnF and finished 7th.

Please go to the doctor and get tested. I fear you've suffered a mini-stroke and it's impacted your memory.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/be...e/news-story/6bf633c9a7880719c4d938448c668d50

It wasn't most of us. Some reposted the infamous Sydney sit down gif from 2014 and declared him "deadwood". The reality is most understood that he came to North with 2 busted ankles and needed time to recover. Scott understood his importance in the team and that is why he played him out of position in the back half of 2014 (as a halfback). Once a position opened up in the midfield he proofed his worth but a lack of conditioning meant he would blow up by the 3rd. He worked on getting his body right and fitness and that's why he was able to shut down so many midfielders. Not only that he puts in a tonne of work off-field. He studies his opponents with the midfield coaches and also helps the young recruits do the same. He has the added flexibility of being able to find the ball if the tag needs to come off.

He 100% deserves the accolades and his injuries have cost us more than any other player.

View attachment 592738

Wasn’t it Crocker that put Jacobs as a tagged when bard was out with his back

Hes also a great age for us. He aint 29 or anything. he's 26. If he stays healthy, hes got another 5 years atleast in him.

He easily had his worst years starting out, he's like Shaun Higgins in a sense, he'll provide his best years on the latter half of his career and thus get more years out of him, Waitey proved the same thing.

The age number isn't the factor imo, its how much gas you got left in your tank. The body quits at an elite level when its had enough, for instance I can see Higgo playing well into his 30s at the same level he's at now barring some horrific injury.

Tyson, Hall, Polec, Higgins, Ahern, Dumont and Jacobs.

When was the last time we had so many players that can win their own ball and get involved in link-up play?

Wasn’t it Crocker that put Jacobs as a tagged when bard was out with his back
Brad told him too. It's not like the pre-season when Brad let the assistants experiment a little. Brad is the boss man.

"Thank you football gods...after 3 times I've finally made it to a good team"

I had kind of forgotten about him until they had that YT video up.

We'll see how he goes in 2018. I don't have high expectations, or any, so hopefully he does well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back