Past #22: Todd Goldstein - has advised NMFC he will seek opportunity at Essendon in '24 - 316 NM games/156 goals/'15 SBM/'15 AA/most hitouts in lge history

Remove this Banner Ad

Did he sign the contract already?
That first 3 quarters was terrible. Should have dominated against Clarke but ended up losing the hitouts.
Yeh his superior fitness got us back into it in the last but he had his colours lowered.
When your midfield is comprehensively beaten in clearances, stoppages, touches and inside 50 then its a bad day out.

Why is that all on Goldy? He got clearances, he got the contested ball. Not his fault the mids went missing.

Why is that all on Goldy? He got clearances, he got the contested ball. Not his fault the mids went missing.
The * tactic was for Clarke to stick with Goldi for as long as he could and build a lead.
I would have liked us to get first use but not only did Clarke beat Todd our midfield was on the defensive as a result. Even more so when you consider their pace.
It was a bad day all round for both Todd and mids.

For all the good things he does he does some soft wtf s**t! Maybe I expect too much from him but he often gets pushed around by smaller/ less talented ruckman.

Comparisons of Goldstein with Wells are way off the mark imo.

Wells spent large periods out of condition, injured or unavailable. Todd has had exceptional availability.

Wells' condition and availability meant he would've oscillated between top 50% and bottom 50% midfielder in the comp over his career. Todd would've been top 50% ruckman in every senior year of his career.

It's a bit rich to say Todd owes us for his s**t 2017. He presented for selection and despite so many obvious signs (hell I even speculated on his mental state at the time) the club (Brad) opted yet again for the intellectually lazy option of just 'backing him in' to try and jump-start his form.

It's not up to a competitive professional footballer to drop themselves that's the failing of the coaches.

On career to date Todd has justified a decent 2-3 year contract and I still hope we can secure him on one.

Comparisons of Goldstein with Wells are way off the mark imo.

Wells spent large periods out of condition, injured or unavailable. Todd has had exceptional availability.

Wells' condition and availability meant he would've oscillated between top 50% and bottom 50% midfielder in the comp over his career. Todd would've been top 50% ruckman in every senior year of his career.

It's a bit rich to say Todd owes us for his s**t 2017. He presented for selection and despite so many obvious signs (hell I even speculated on his mental state at the time) the club (Brad) opted yet again for the intellectually lazy option of just 'backing him in' to try and jump-start his form.

It's not up to a competitive professional footballer to drop themselves that's the failing of the coaches.

On career to date Todd has justified a decent 2-3 year contract and I still hope we can secure him on one.
100%. Easy decision this. Unless he is asking for ridiculous coin, I'd have no issue in offering him 2 or even 3 years at a reasonable amount. If he wants to chase the top dollar, that would be his call.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know the AFL player ratings aren't perfect but Goldy has certainly moved up the ranks of late: not exactly any spuds in that top 10. Shame Cunners has drifted out of it.
View attachment 713849
View attachment 713850

Haha, I love Goldy as much as anyone but that shows how much of a joke those player ratings are. Goldstein was top 10 four years ago, but I reckon this is a bit of a reach.

Haha, I love Goldy as much as anyone but that shows how much of a joke those player ratings are. Goldstein was top 10 four years ago, but I reckon this is a bit of a reach.
It's based on 40 games, some of those back end games would be propping him up a bit. His line is curving on the up though. Probs not top 10 for this year but 3rd/4th best ruckman in the comp IHMO

Last edited:
Campbell's recent VFL dominance severely weakening his hand.
Slow, contested VFL football on boggy tracks suits slow Campbell with his tree trunk legs to a T. The club shouldn't gamble on him being able to recreate that at AFL level. I don't think he has the running game or deft tap work to be a top flight AFL ruck, which Goldstein is.

If we had a ready to go ruck/KPF, like Xerri in two years or a fully rehabilitated Daw we would be in a better position but a Campbell/Larkey combo in 2020 would likely be among the worst ruck divisions in the league.

Definitely keeps his spot on the list for mine though. Would probably be among the best back-ups going around, alongside Preuss, Ryder, Darcy etc.

The club has just put out a glowing appraisal of Goldy's season with a closer of "With Goldstein showing no signs of slowing down, Roos fans will be hoping to see his excellent form continue into the years to come. "

Deal incoming.

To be honest these ratings appear to be the anti-brownlow in that they rate ruck input extremely high. I wouldn't have either of Gawn, Grundy or Goldstein in the best 10 players at the moment - and I think Goldstein has had a very good year (even when the rest of the team was poor). It seems to be over rating certain types of ruckmen.

The club has just put out a glowing appraisal of Goldy's season with a closer of "With Goldstein showing no signs of slowing down, Roos fans will be hoping to see his excellent form continue into the years to come. "

Deal incoming.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Last chance to get a end of 1st rounder as compensation from St Kilda. Happy to keep him but I wouldn't offer him more than 400k a year.

He’s having a very good year. I actually think he’ll get better again. Sign him up. Talk about value for money, Goldy doesn’t miss games. He’s seen off numerous up and coming rucks because he goes all day and can play through injury.
This is the crucial thing with Goldy. We have probably the least ruck depth of any club, but it never becomes an issue due to Todd's ability not only to ruck all game, but to ruck every game. We are likely to have the Goldy-Daw team back in action before long, and with Campbell as an in-form backup, we will have a solid combination for a couple of years while we develop Xerri and potentially another young ruck (from the draft or a cheap trade like that South Australian kid whose name I've forgotten).

Get it done, Euge.

He’s having a very good year. I actually think he’ll get better again. Sign him up. Talk about value for money, Goldy doesn’t miss games. He’s seen off numerous up and coming rucks because he goes all day and can play through injury.

I actually don't think we're far off, so cannot afford to lose Goldy. 3 years is fine, he's proven to be very durable over his career.

This is the crucial thing with Goldy. We have probably the least ruck depth of any club, but it never becomes an issue due to Todd's ability not only to ruck all game, but to ruck every game. We are likely to have the Goldy-Daw team back in action before long, and with Campbell as an in-form backup, we will have a solid combination for a couple of years while we develop Xerri and potentially another young ruck (from the draft or a cheap trade like that South Australian kid whose name I've forgotten).

Get it done, Euge.
This. All day long. Because he's virtually bulletproof with regards to injury it makes planning so much easier. Eg picking up Campbell as backup for peanuts. Gets a stack of disposals and uses the ball very well. Very creative with his handball and his field kicking was pretty decent until this year. Tackling is very good when he's in form. Almost like another midfielder. Reliable set shot. Tapwork is very good, particularly when he gets on top. Plus he creates stacks of problems for the opposition with his tank, pops up in attack as an extra target or dross into defence to take intercept marks. Don't get the reticence to get him signed up. He's probably the 4th best ruck in the league. Would you let the 4th best forward or defender walk for an early 2nd rounder?

This. All day long. Because he's virtually bulletproof with regards to injury it makes planning so much easier. Eg picking up Campbell as backup for peanuts. Gets a stack of disposals and uses the ball very well. Very creative with his handball and his field kicking was pretty decent until this year. Tackling is very good when he's in form. Almost like another midfielder. Reliable set shot. Tapwork is very good, particularly when he gets on top. Plus he creates stacks of problems for the opposition with his tank, pops up in attack as an extra target or dross into defence to take intercept marks. Don't get the reticence to get him signed up. He's probably the 4th best ruck in the league. Would you let the 4th best forward or defender walk for an early 2nd rounder?

Yep. Wouldn't be letting him walk unless the money / years was completely out of the range that we think is reasonable. Would think we would be happy to give him 2-3 years on decent but reduced money from early in the last contract.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back