Player Watch #24: Tom Powell - signed thru 2026 - 7th highest ranked player league-wide after 3 rds - avg. 27.7d & 7clearances p/g

Remove this Banner Ad

Seems to me that Ziebs will be training exclusively forward. No way he's going back in to the midfield.
Don't know about that. You don't put teenagers straight into the guts to crash against men who have been hitting the gym for years.

afldraftcentral.com.au

: Tom Wyman

Recruiters will be encouraged to see Powell have some success early on in the season, given his recent battles with injury. The Sturt on-baller was everywhere at Elizabeth Oval, finishing with 34 touches. Akin to fellow-on-baller Liddy, Powell started the contest well, bursting out of the midfield following the opening bounce, having a bounce and streaming inside-50 before snapping a behind.

While he put together a very strong game, it could have been even better had he converted some of his attempts on goal. Expect to see more of Powell in the Reserves later in the season, as he appeared a cut above Under 18 level against the ‘Dogs.

By: Ed Pascoe

t was like déjà vu watching Powell, who had another incredible game through the midfield. He really is just a machine at stoppages, winning the ball at will. Powell’s style isn’t fancy – you wont see him bursting out of stoppages – but what you will see is an extremely efficient midfielder who is clean at gathering the ball and even cleaner with his delivery by hand, whether that’s on his left or right which not many players have.

Powell’s kicking and ability on the outside would be the main focus area for him as his inside game is just about flawless and with the amount of footy he wins he could really turn that into a more damaging package, like Lachie Neale. Powell finished the game with 35 disposals (21 handballs), seven clearances and five tackles backing up a his 34 disposals last week.

By: Michael Alvaro

Powell was far and away the best afield, setting himself apart with an unmatched ball winning ability, and consistent impact on the contest where it mattered most. The balanced midfielder is one of the finest exponents of the handball in this year’s crop, and would have run very close to 100 per cent efficiency in that area – something he has been known to achieve on recent form. But what was perhaps most pleasing about Powell’s game on Saturday was the added dimensions to his craft; showcasing his improved work on the spread, and aptitude in running with the ball, and a higher output by foot.

While Powell’s agility and awareness at the contest remained, it was clear that the confidence he gained throughout a dominant third term allowed him to better take the game on with some daring dash away from the contest and sharp disposal on the end of it. He was nothing short of dominant in against the relatively small Westies midfield, collecting a monster 39 disposals, 14 clearances, and eight inside 50s. All the pieces of the puzzle seem to be falling into place, with Powell’s potential being met after long stints on the sideline last year.

Took us 15 years but we finally mustered the confidence to bring another Powell to the club.

If he rocks up to his first day of training hes a legend in my eyes.
* Mark

One thing that hasn’t been mentioned about Tom is that he is an excellent two way runner (same goes for Phillips).

Incredibly high footy IQ this kid.

Bingo.

Has been a massive issue for years. Our defense gets slaughtered by the lack of pressure opposition enter the 50.

There is not a lot of defensive running between Ziebell, Cunnington, Higgins and Polec.

Stoked to see it addressed.

This guy looks like an absolute gem to me. Can't believe he slid to #13. Likening him to a Tom Mitchell/Matt Crouch type and those types are always welcome.

Great selection and perfect for your club right now. Good choice.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

129762370_679773739355877_1710206007655781674_n.jpg

I'm getting a Clayton Oliver vibe from this guy

I'm getting a Clayton Oliver vibe from this guy

Hopefully with better foot skills and less FIGJAM.

I just hope he isn't Ryan Bastinac MkII

I just hope he isn't Ryan Bastinac MkII

Far harder, far more accomplished inside.

Has a bit more toe than Basti too.

i like the look of him and those are just obscene numbers.

does anyone have an explanation for why he didnt play more at the higher levels after that kind of ridiculous production in the u18s?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back