Player Watch #24: Tom Powell - signed thru 2026 - 7th highest ranked player league-wide after 3 rds - avg. 27.7d & 7clearances p/g

Remove this Banner Ad

I wonder if anyone posting in the last few pages has seen how often he gets pushed off the ball in contests. Especially against big, mature mids. When he stands next to an opponent and tries to hold his position he gets pushed away too easily.

This might be why he doesn't get as much centre square time. He is great in traffic while moving, has great situational awareness too but often he gets pushed off balance and misses the first step toward a contest or the whole contest. (This happens to Jy as well.) He'll be fine in a few years (if he hits the weights) but he isn't strong enough yet.
I agree with that Ferbs, and I also reckon his running effort isn't there yet. That said, running Jed and Hugh isn't working. They don't win enough footy or use it well enough when they do. Powell is a genuine accumulator and ball pig. We aren't going to win games persisting with those in there, so lets begin the transition now.

Jeez he looked light on the weekend. I thought he put on some muscle?
We should send him off the eagles for the off-season. Their kids seem to bulk up pretty quick.
He did, but people saw pics of him lean, by himself, and in a singlet, and mistakenly thought he had become big. He's not, yet. It's only when you see these blokes in clothes in a group that you get a good gauge on their size.

LOL

A slow, can’t kick over a jam tin midget with no skill on a wing - You really are a genius.

Jy is borderline uselsss at the moment, a massive disappointment.
Absolutely no way could he run a wing. Can't hide him forward either, if he's not good enough in the guts it's VFL.

We should send him off the eagles for the off-season. Their kids seem to bulk up pretty quick.
Could be a case of keeping him light to ensure his hips and pelvis don't have to carry too much weight for now given he has a history of serious issues through that region. Hopefully he gets through this year with no issues and that area is now strong enough to allow him to add some significant kg's to his frame. His old man was a solid enough unit, so I don't think it will be much of an issue for him.

He looks like a little boy out there.

Looks be a bit disinterested atm too. Being dropped to the vfl while other players barely get 10 disposals for a entire game can do that to yah too.

Such a shame because he looked electric last year.

He will come good.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He looks like a little boy out there.

Looks be a bit disinterested atm too. Being dropped to the vfl while other players barely get 10 disposals for a entire game can do that to yah too.

Such a shame because he looked electric last year.

He will come good.
He’s been in the side for a fair while after his demotion. If he is still sulking then that’s a huge problem. Even game time you can easily argue his injury last year is a genuine reason.

Whilst the misgivings with the coach may be valid, there needs to be some ownership from the players of their professionalism.

Do we have a 2022 TP average versus a 2021 TP average?
Career Season Averages​
YearTeamGMKHDMGBTHOFFFAGAI50CLCGR50BL
2022​
11​
7.4​
5.5​
12.9​
2.2​
0.4​
0​
3.0​
0​
0.5​
0.4​
0​
1.6​
2.5​
1.8​
1.6​
2021​
13​
8.2​
8.5​
16.7​
3.6​
0.3​
0.1​
3.8​
0​
0.5​
0.5​
0.5​
2.8​
1.7​
1.6​
1.4​
Career
Disposals down 4 per game - TOG down from 75 to 70%.

Agree.l saw him standing next to Guthrie and he looked small....

Career Season Averages​
YearTeamGMKHDMGBTHOFFFAGAI50CLCGR50BL
2022​
11​
7.4​
5.5​
12.9​
2.2​
0.4​
0​
3.0​
0​
0.5​
0.4​
0​
1.6​
2.5​
1.8​
1.6​
2021​
13​
8.2​
8.5​
16.7​
3.6​
0.3​
0.1​
3.8​
0​
0.5​
0.5​
0.5​
2.8​
1.7​
1.6​
1.4​
Career
Disposals down 4 per game - TOG down from 75 to 70%.
Sorry I meant from the rating points. But this is illustrative enough.

Wouldn't be surprise if Powell went in for surgery on his hip/groin this pre season. Is not moving well and seems to have lost some lateral movement so can't weave in and out of traffic like he showed last year.

Seems to me to be still struggling with the injury.

just have to keep feeding him those CBAs. he's unbelievably talented but now is the time to get miles into his legs, hands and brain

Absolutely - fitness and stamina are what he needs. You can see what he does with limited space already. Just needs to get to more contests and push harder forward (as he is a brilliant kick given a free chance)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back