Past #25: Robbie Tarrant - traded to RFC for CCJ&picks - 2yr deal at RFC - 174 NM games/44 NM goals - retires 13/7/23 effective immediately

Remove this Banner Ad

As big a fiasco as the hub clearly was, are we going to look back at it as a turning point for the club? We we’re basically forced into action. sh*t doesn’t hit the fan, we could have just kept meandering along.

Well yes I suppose you're correct, the wheels fell off in everyway possible and we hit rock bottom. But how the hell did we get there is my question. We'll never know the answer I suppose.

I can see the reason as to why the club feels a bit annoyed or disappointed since they did give him the time and resources to get his body right (after such a injury riddled start to his career).

But, I'd say that collectively, we shouldn't hold a grudge against him. He did stick by us when he could've jumped ship way before this.

Players from other clubs have requested trades when contracted and instead Tarrant gave us everything until he was settled on a decision and had the freedom to make that decision. Nothing wrong with that.

He should be happy with himself and shouldn't feel guilty. He gave us so much stability in a backline expected to deal with our lack of defensive pressure up forward and in the midfield. We used to say just how screwed we were if he injured himself before another defender emerged.

It's all history now so let's look forward to what new faces we can bring in.

I can see the reason as to why the club feels a bit annoyed or disappointed since they did give him the time and resources to get his body right (after such a injury riddled start to his career).

But, I'd say that collectively, we shouldn't hold a grudge against him. He did stick by us when he could've jumped ship way before this.

Players from other clubs have requested trades when contracted and instead Tarrant gave us everything until he was settled on a decision and had the freedom to make that decision. Nothing wrong with that.

He should be happy with himself and shouldn't feel guilty. He gave us so much stability in a backline expected to deal with our lack of defensive pressure up forward and in the midfield. We used to say just how screwed we were if he injured himself before another defender emerged.

It's all history now so let's look forward to what new faces we can bring in.
Agree with all the above but can't help but be bitterly disappointed that Robbie couldn't finish his career as a one club player.

All the best though Taz and thanks for everything you gave us through the good times and the bad. The rock we needed.

This was a great night at the footy. Back end of 2012 probably the best times of the Scott era…then limped into finals and got belted in WA.
Yep.

Lost to Freo at home too that pretty much killed whatever confidence we had going into September.

Then we all thought 2013 was gonna be micky... :drunk:

Yes, and I wish we would. He's no longer a North player, now he's just an opposition player. Its always been my philosophy that once a player leaves North I really don't give a sh*t.

I will say that over the years my transition from, damn don't want to lose them, to FTG has dramatically shortened.

XX has informed North Melbourne football club that he will be playing else where. Cool box up his s**t and send it to him. done.

I will say that over the years my transition from, damn don't want to lose them, to FTG has dramatically shortened.

XX has informed North Melbourne football club that he will be playing else where. Cool box up his sh*t and send it to him. done.
Exactly. If his heart is not in it, then you don't really want him, because somewhere down the line its not going to amount to anything anyway. Better off investing time into players that want to be there. And given the amount of young resignings there is enough of those.

Our player retention during the Scott era was excellent.

I know it's easy to dismiss that as "lol the time of Joyce and Scott handing out easy money is over" etc but that's now 2 longer term players we've exited in somewhat uncomfortable means in 2 years. In Robbie's case it's a milestone because it's one of the few times we've lost out in a head-to-head trying to hold on to a player.

In isolation, it's a blip and perhaps the necessary pain of change. But worth a little placeholder to review if it hints at any more poor people management down the line.

As an aside I'm curious why we're so protective of list spots now. We need ongoing guiding experience on the list but seem to be blocking any 1 year extended stays on the list as if our lives depended on it.

I know it's easy to dismiss that as "lol the time of Joyce and Scott handing out easy money is over" etc but that's now 2 longer term players we've exited in somewhat uncomfortable means in 2 years. In Robbie's case it's a milestone because it's one of the few times we've lost out in a head-to-head trying to hold on to a player.

In isolation, it's a blip and perhaps the necessary pain of change. But worth a little placeholder to review if it hints at any more poor people management down the line.

As an aside I'm curious why we're so protective of list spots now. We need ongoing guiding experience on the list but seem to be blocking any 1 year extended stays on the list as if our lives depended on it.
I'll start worrying when we lose good players younger than 40.

Think it's a product of "knowing where we are at" as an organisation.

Under Joyce/Scott, the sell each year would have been "we can play finals next year". Compare that to now, where it's we are "rebuilding and not taking short-cuts to ensure we have to play finals next year".

What also seems clear (no better example then Higgins last year), that if senior players would rather chase success, we won't hold them back.

Thirdly, there is a strict approach to contract length for senior players. Lets call a spade a spade, Joyce was "overpay first".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It could be because we now have a football department that is thinking about the future.

Think it's a product of "knowing where we are at" as an organisation.

Under Joyce/Scott, the sell each year would have been "we can play finals next year". Compare that to now, where it's we are "rebuilding and not taking short-cuts to ensure we have to play finals next year".

What also seems clear (no better example then Higgins last year), that if senior players would rather chase success, we won't hold them back.

Thirdly, there is a strict approach to contract length for senior players. Lets call a spade a spade, Joyce was "overpay first".

The reversion to a 2 year offer for Tarrant is a bit of a bookmarker for me on this one. Had we held firm I'd have been more reassured that it was all part of a defined multi-year strategy.

To shift our position suggests we blinked which shows some flexibility but also raises concerns.

Thought I was fine with it, but wow that jumper sure has made a good looking guy look like trash View attachment 1240681

Mods. I'm sure sruss thought, or perhaps I hope, he/she thought he/she was acting in everyone's best interest, in creating this abomination of an image, but in my eyes he/she failed his/her best interest duty to all of us. Please ban him/her for a day for offensive behaviour. Thank-you in advance

Thought I was fine with it, but wow that jumper sure has made a good looking guy look like trash View attachment 1240681
At the end of the day I don’t think losing Tarrant will have that great an impact long term, but I am not sure so have the same mentality as most on here.

This club has stuck with Robbie through some pretty tough years and yes we have also received some output over that time, but I still think the guy has dogged the club a bit with this move.

It seems pretty evident that we wanted to keep him. If the club made it very clear that we wanted him to stay on and upped our offer to two years to match Richmond, then if he wants to leave I couldn’t give a rats arse if he wallows at Richmond.

At the end of the day I would have thought Robbie being a leader or this club, who has been looked after would have wanted to play his part in our rebuild?

This is nothing like the Higgins scenario, where the club were happy to try and facilitate a move. This is Robbie sticking his finger up at the club, when we clearly wanted him around.

The reversion to a 2 year offer for Tarrant is a bit of a bookmarker for me on this one. Had we held firm I'd have been more reassured that it was all part of a defined multi-year strategy.

To shift our position suggests we blinked which shows some flexibility but also raises concerns.
I can understand Tarrant's probable thought, we didn't offer him a 2 year deal until they did, but, from our POV, he's not really a 2 year deal. They lost Astbury so they pledged and he took it. My view is, I don't think we'll miss him as much as some think, McKay was performing much better until he was moved around, we get Corr back, and again, once they leave North I really don't care. They are just another opposition player. Right now, I don't give a bugger about Robbie Tarrant.

Good point KC. I'll admit, I was also a little taken back by the reports that we "folded".

It is difficult to know exactly what has happened. Did Noble put his foot down and tell Brady to just keep him happy? Did we have someone lined up to replace Tarrant who has since re-signed? Was the 2nd year trigger based? How did the initial offer compare to the Richmond offer & subsequent second offer? Did we want to keep him purely from a leadership perspective?

I've learnt to not get too carried away by the likes of Barrett, who is going to fling s*** at us regardless of the truth.

I do think Robbie wasn't going to significantly change our fortunes in 2022 & as I've said in previous posts, the backline needs a big shake up. Having all of Ziebell, Hall & Tarrant playing every game in 2022, may not exactly help us in 2023 and beyond.

Well yes I suppose you're correct, the wheels fell off in everyway possible and we hit rock bottom. But how the hell did we get there is my question. We'll never know the answer I suppose.

Sometimes thing don't improve until you actually hit rock bottom and acknowledge it.

Good point KC. I'll admit, I was also a little taken back by the reports that we "folded".

It is difficult to know exactly what has happened. Did Noble put his foot down and tell Brady to just keep him happy? Did we have someone lined up to replace Tarrant who has since re-signed? Was the 2nd year trigger based? How did the initial offer compare to the Richmond offer & subsequent second offer? Did we want to keep him purely from a leadership perspective?

I've learnt to not get too carried away by the likes of Barrett, who is going to fling s*** at us regardless of the truth.

I do think Robbie wasn't going to significantly change our fortunes in 2022 & as I've said in previous posts, the backline needs a big shake up. Having all of Ziebell, Hall & Tarrant playing every game in 2022, may not exactly help us in 2023 and beyond.

All fair points. I've no idea what's being said outside the North site or this board from Barrett etc and couldn't care about that too much anyway.

It's true we don't know the finer details of triggers vs assured years etc.

Agree and have been posting for a while that our backline was a gnat's dick away from becoming a gaping hole in our side. The positive as a few have said is that this forces it to be rebuilt.

We rightly identified bolstering the midfield and now probably have 1-2 years to properly set up the defensive positions. Thankfully the odds of landing high quality defenders as DFAs, late picks and rookies are much higher than expecting to find the next Dustin Martin in the 3rd round of a rookie draft.

Sometimes in life you need to move the goalposts- first offer was rejected and someone put in a counter offer. North revised and put in an improved deal.
It was knocked back and we move on

Remove this Banner Ad

Back