Retired #26: Cale Hooker - Has announced his retirement at season's end šŸ·

Remove this Banner Ad

With Hurley definetley coming back I think Hooker must play forward. He is easily the most dangerous tall apart from Daniher and should ease the pressure of Joe significantly. I could see both getting 40+ next year along with Fanta!
I'm happy to do that if Brown plays Hooker's 3rd tall role.

I'm happy to do that if Brown plays Hooker's 3rd tall role.

On his recent form Brown will take 50 marks if Hartley and Hurley take the best two forwards.

I reckon Hooker would be at his most damaging as a third tall without a direct opponent so he can roam the defensive 50 to help out in contests and mop up any poorly directed attacking entries, but with a licence to run forward if he thinks it will help. I'm imagining teams trying to put a forward tag on him to try and curb his influence.

Trade Hartley back to the Pies for next years first round pick and draft a mature KPF to play in FF.

I reckon Hooker would be at his most damaging as a third tall without a direct opponent so he can roam the defensive 50 to help out in contests and mop up any poorly directed attacking entries, but with a licence to run forward if he thinks it will help. I'm imagining teams trying to put a forward tag on him to try and curb his influence.

Trade Hartley back to the Pies for next years first round pick and draft a mature KPF to play in FF.
Whilst Hooker is great as the loose in defense, it is a role that can be played effectively by less talented players, see Mitch Brown this year in a makeshift team.

With Hurley and Hartley taking the big forwards; Hooker's value up forward to take the big brute defender off Daniher will be invaluable.

The thing I like about Brown over Hooker forward is his mobility. Can Cale play up the ground to the effect Brown does?

No but he is WAYYYY better at marking
So is Bellchambers. Who has an added benefit of being a solid ruckman. Hooker played his best forward work deep, Bellchambers does the same. I would personally prefer having the one tall deep (Bellchambers) and two further up the ground which lends me to having Brown forward.

I think since we've tried hooker Carlisle Hurley and brown forward to limited success, next year it's Hartley's turn surely. If we are in fact Essendon, trying all defenders forward is a must.

I think since we've tried hooker Carlisle Hurley and brown forward to limited success, next year it's Hartley's turn surely. If we are in fact Essendon, trying all defenders forward is a must.
Is averaging over 1 goal/game when forward in this season in particular all that limited?

I think it was in the SEN interview Woosha was saying that Hartley played forward a bit last week when he came back onto the ground? I didn't actually see him there so if he was then it wasn't for long.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it was in the SEN interview Woosha was saying that Hartley played forward a bit last week when he came back onto the ground? I didn't actually see him there so if he was then it wasn't for long.
when playing forward he almost took a moty contender as he crashed a pack but had it knocked out of his hands as he fell to the ground... all of this while playing with a broken nose too

The idea of Hooker, Hurley and Fantasia in the same forward line has me excited. Three players who are genuinely capable of kicking 40+ goals next year. This is the most exciting our forward line has looked for a very very long time.
Pretty sure Hurley will be winning All Australians in defence for the next 6 years.

Think the more interesting dynamic is if Hooker plays forward - Who will be the third tall forward - And who will give Leunberger a chop out in the ruck.

Have we really played premium dollars for Hooker to be a forward, when we could have spent that money on an actual forward?
He's a backman, recruit an actual forward.

Daniher will chop out the ruck duties.
Defense talls : Hurley, Hartley and Ambrose
Forward talls: Daniher, Hooker and Brown
Why would we play both Brown and Hooker forward? Both are gun intercept marks.

Why would we play both Brown and Hooker forward? Both are gun intercept marks.
Hooker isn't just a gun intercept mark, he's a gun contested mark.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back