Player Watch #26 Riley Collier-Dawkins

Remove this Banner Ad

Word is RCD's growth spurt has continued since he was drafted - now just a shade under 195cm

Word from ??.......just wondering, a reliable source?

Conca was still our top tackler, like it or not, and yes his skill let us down but he played fairly tough. Down the track RCD will no doubt improve our midfield, but right now he's probably an outside player. I hope he does come in and play a midfield role, that would be amazing, but unlikely.
I disagree about Conca’s traits and Balme fortunately realised this. Tackling is a requirement all players should have and this was our 2017 mantra. If the ball is in your area then you put pressure on by either harassment or by tackling. This is not a skill set that requires X factor . Most importantly with Conca though was he released the pressure and any of his good work with his horrible disposal was counter productive.
He was a momentum killer and we looked better without him. The minute he came back our midfield looked slow and under skilled and his PF was obviously the last straw for Balme.
Jack Higgins PF was a complete contrast and he showed how much a first year player can easily be fast tracked passed average hacks like Reece. We’re no guarantee that RCD will make it , but at least we can invest time into him and hopefully development takes place. However with Reece we knew exactly what we had as he offered no more upside.

I disagree about Conca’s traits and Balme fortunately realised this. Tackling is a requirement all players should have and this was our 2017 mantra. If the ball is in your area then you put pressure on by either harassment or by tackling. This is not a skill set that requires X factor . Most importantly with Conca though was he released the pressure and any of his good work with his horrible disposal was counter productive.
He was a momentum killer and we looked better without him. The minute he came back our midfield looked slow and under skilled and his PF was obviously the last straw for Balme.
Jack Higgins PF was a complete contrast and he showed how much a first year player can easily be fast tracked passed average hacks like Reece. We’re no guarantee that RCD will make it , but at least we can invest time into him and hopefully development takes place. However with Reece we knew exactly what we had as he offered no more upside.
Fair enough in the main. Conca like Griffiths frustrated me. Thought with a decent run they would be good players, but that never happened. Not sorry to see him go, but not sure he won't succeed at Freo, but much more interested in seeing what the future holds. Had my doubts a bit about Higgins being a bit of a wobbler (for want of a better expression), ie coming back a bit solid. But he looks in great shape and is a real footballer, so he will slip into and past Conca no problems.

Last edited:

This kid will not play a senior game in 2019 and will be lucky to play a senior game in 2020. He’s not an immediate need and won’t be pushing anyone out. In fact i will go as far to say that right now Mav Weller will be ahead in the pecking order to play.
There’s no pressure to play this kid. Like Naish, Oleg, Garth, Butler, George, etc, they all did an apprenticeship and it serves them better in the long run. And i am very happy with that thought.

Sent from my iPad using righteous Bhodi manpower

well considering he is the only midfielder we have on our list that can start in the centre square above 190 cm, I would say that I completely disagree with you, he fills a massive need we are desperate to fill, and he will get plenty of opportunities before he deserves them.

well considering he is the only midfielder we have on our list that can start in the centre square above 190 cm, I would say that I completely disagree with you, he fills a massive need we are desperate to fill, and he will get plenty of opportunities before he deserves them.

Lol, * me, i didn’t realise the kid was Jesus. Who is he gonna knock out of the midfield? A premiership midfield with 2 brownlow medallists running through it, plus Caddy, Edwards, Rioli, Higgins, Graham and whoever else.

Conca was still our top tackler, like it or not, and yes his skill let us down but he played fairly tough. Down the track RCD will no doubt improve our midfield, but right now he's probably an outside player. I hope he does come in and play a midfield role, that would be amazing, but unlikely.

Nothing outside about RCD imo , Have a look at the 2 minute clip on the RFC website , There are 2 instances of play where he is right in the heat of it and on both occassions manages to keep his hands free and release the ball. Kids going to be a beast and Im excited
1548064872173.png

Lol, **** me, i didn’t realise the kid was Jesus. Who is he gonna knock out of the midfield? A premiership midfield with 2 brownlow medallists running through it, plus Caddy, Edwards, Rioli, Higgins, Graham and whoever else.

He doesn't have to be Jesus

Corey Ellis played 6 games in 2017, and 4 games in 2018, RCD will get those games, and those opportunities.

There is no doubt about that

Losing him and Jacko unbalanced our midfield - relying on two small bodies in Miles and Cotchin to do all the inside work. Main reason for our underperformance in finals in 2014 and 2015.
Give the man a cigar , was pivotal to our underwhelming elim losses , our style of play that was some way from contemporary finals footy had a large say also ,our intensity was nothing like the level we see with today’s Richmond side

He doesn't have to be Jesus

Corey Ellis played 6 games in 2017, and 4 games in 2018, RCD will get those games, and those opportunities.

There is no doubt about that

Corey wasn’t a first year player either year. There’s some senior boys playing for their careers or places at Richmond this season. Menadue for one. Makrov is another, B Ellis, Bolton come to mind as well. Add Towno to that and Weller.
All play areas of the ground which this kid would come in and play.

Corey wasn’t a first year player either year. There’s some senior boys playing for their careers or places at Richmond this season. Menadue for one. Makrov is another, B Ellis, Bolton come to mind as well. Add Towno to that and Weller.
All play areas of the ground which this kid would come in and play.

none of the boys you mention are big bodied centre square midfielders.

Menadue never starts on the ball, neither does Makrov, Bellis or Bolton, they do not play in the position on the ground that he will be blloded

This is why RCD will get opportunities.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nothing outside about RCD imo , Have a look at the 2 minute clip on the RFC website , There are 2 instances of play where he is right in the heat of it and on both occassions manages to keep his hands free and release the ball. Kids going to be a beast and Im excited
View attachment 608432
Yes he will be an inside player, but right now he is probably better off outside. Every position is combative these days, like MacIntosh on a wing, Lambert half forward. Start him off wing/half forward/half back and let him develop. He is still pretty skinny, those RFC highlights are a 193cm mid against sub 180cm skinny kids (obviously not all but plenty).

Menadue never starts on the ball, neither does Makrov, Bellis or Bolton, they do not play in the position on the ground that he will be blloded

He won’t have the aerobic capacity to start as a midfielder this year

Jack Higgins didn’t even get a run in the midfield until late in the year and he was an elite runner when he was drafted same goes for graham who was also noted for his running ability for day one
Hell even dusty didn’t play midfield mins until a few seasons in

If you think rcd will come in and start midfield this year personally I think you need to lower your expectations he might have the body to play the role but if he can’t play out the game there is no point rushing him in

Jack Higgins didn’t even get a run in the midfield until late in the year and he was an elite runner when he was drafted same goes for graham who was also noted for his running ability for day one

If you think rcd will come in and start midfield this year personally I think you need to lower your expectations he might have the body to play the role but if he can’t play out the game there is no point rushing him in
agree...takes time to build up the tank...not automagically. Turner on the other hand has the tank but not the body...so he's gotta bulk up.

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2018-11-23/turner-becomes-another-tassie-tiger

Corey Ellis barely played in that position either

Thing I love about RCD is that he always gets the ball away, in a careful and calculated way. He takes the hit and still does something very useful with it. He's got size, speed and skill. But that ability to make the most from a crunch situation is rare. Cotch has it. If RCD can translate that ability to the AFL - and why not - and he develops physically and gets hold of the ball more he'll be a star.

Most payers take the hit and do whatever they can. RCD thinks about how to get he ball to the free guy outside, especially goal side of the contest. That's gold

I am not saying he will be starting midfielder

I am saying he will get every opportunity to get midfield minutes, probably at least as many as Corey Ellis did .

The reason why he will get these chances is because there is noone like him on the list

Lol, **** me, i didn’t realise the kid was Jesus. Who is he gonna knock out of the midfield? A premiership midfield with 2 brownlow medallists running through it, plus Caddy, Edwards, Rioli, Higgins, Graham and whoever else.

The premiers are West Coast. We are chasing again. We need improvement and size in the middle. Jack Graham is injured & needs to work on his game. Grigg is old. And Kmac can be improved on. By years end I’d like to see Grigg and kmac replaced by RCD, Balta.

What benefit could being 195-196cm have being a midfielder , There is a limit to everything and being that big you will start to lose parts of your game that are just not suited to that height. 191-193 imo is big enough. Cripps is a freak at that size and there wouldnt be too many that could play that role at that size

Fyfe -190
Bont -193
yeo - 190
Dangerfield -189
2 cms is going to make * all difference.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back