Player Watch #26 Riley Collier-Dawkins

Remove this Banner Ad

This is taken from Fox Sports today:

It is talking about who is due for a debut match

RICHMOND
Two midfielders drafted in 2018 are among the small number of Tigers wishing and waiting for their first taste of AFL footy. Riley Collier-Dawkinswho grew eight centimetres in his draft year to stand at 193cm tall – and Tasmanian product Fraser Turner haven’t played at senior level. Collier-Dawkins’ growth spurt saw him catapult up the draft order, with Richmond selecting the promising youngster with Pick 20. Small forward Jake Aarts, defender Ben Miller and on baller Luke English are still yet to be blooded.

That is quite a lot of growing for 1 year! He's a UNIT!

This is taken from Fox Sports today:

It is talking about who is due for a debut match

RICHMOND
Two midfielders drafted in 2018 are among the small number of Tigers wishing and waiting for their first taste of AFL footy. Riley Collier-Dawkinswho grew eight centimetres in his draft year to stand at 193cm tall – and Tasmanian product Fraser Turner haven’t played at senior level. Collier-Dawkins’ growth spurt saw him catapult up the draft order, with Richmond selecting the promising youngster with Pick 20. Small forward Jake Aarts, defender Ben Miller and on baller Luke English are still yet to be blooded.

That is quite a lot of growing for 1 year! He's a UNIT!

My observation with growth spurts or other significant changes in body dimensions, it can take around a year or so for the person’s co-ordination to catch up. This could help to explain why RCD grew 8cm in his draft year then seemed to improve quite sharply late in his first VFL season.

You would be pretty disappointed if we don’t end up with at least 4-5 very substantial careers out of the players newly introduced for or during the 2019 season, Lynch, Pickett, Stack, RCD, Ross, Turner, so besides being a premiership year it is a season when up to around a third of our future starting 18 were introduced to the club. It really takes the pressure off the next 2-3 drafts where so long as we get 1-2 substantial players each year we will be fine. From the 2018 draft, English probably not looking as promising at this stage but far from written off. RCD is just about the most intriguing of the lot right now though, if he fires he brings a real point of difference to our midfield with his height and power.

An interesting exercise it to imagine most of our eldest players Cotchin, Edwards, Houli, Riewoldt, Rance and say Astbury and Lambert all retired after say three more seasons, and see what the team might look like then according to players currently at the club.

Grimes Chol Vlastuin
Stack Balta Short
Naish Martin Turner
Bolton Lynch Rioli
Castagna Coleman-Jones Pickett

Soldo Collier-Dawkins Prestia

I/C Ross, Baker, Higgins, Broad

Not used: Nankervis, Caddy, Macintosh, Graham, Garthwaite, Eggmolesse-Smith, nor any of the 2019 draftees or subsequent additions.

You would think salary cap pressures and lack of opportunity will cost us some of those players before we see mass retirements, but you would think we would pick up free agents and some decent troops in the next couple of drafts. You would fancy a team like the above from 2023 onwards could hold its own and be mid table at least, so that is quite reassuring.

Last edited:

not ever situation.

There are different ways to skin a cat.

Dealing in absolutes is not a pathway to sustained success and has inherent risks, just see Townsend and co after Griffths adjustment

bad analogy imo

post a few up says he grew a s**t load and is already pilling on the size, took the last game apart he was in

2 mums will be a wrecking ball

Last edited:
bad analogy imo

the the post a few up says he grew a s**t load and is already pilling on the size

at the very least he will be able to nullify opposition big mids and go head to head with them who tend to have pretty decent games against is, guys like JPK from the swans , the bont and Cripps

and his best he could become just as damaging as any 3 of them

at the very least he will be able to nullify opposition big mids and go head to head with them who tend to have pretty decent games against is, guys like JPK from the swans , the bont and Cripps

and his best he could become just as damaging as any 3 of them

I thought Graham did a good job on Cripps. At least he smashed him a couple times and let him know he was in a contest.

Ellis just flailed at cripps occasionally

RCD should be able to do similar eventually like you say , i hope

Not just yet but in 3-4 years Noah Balta could also make guest appearances in the midfield also , He also played some midfield as a 16 year old prior to having his own growth spurt.

Ross , RCD , Balta ,Turner all have size and even Thomson Dow i personally believe will get to his brothers height of 187cm and Hugo is another that will end up close to 190cm with both boys having just turned 18 recently

bad analogy imo

post a few up says he grew a s**t load and is already pilling on the size, took the last game apart he was in

the above is not an analogy.

its a observation backed by empirical data and history.

he grew a lot in one year.

If you see his recent movement at training, he moves better than Fyfe and Cripps across the ground, why restrict him??

He is better than a bash and crash exponent.

Besides it looks like Noah C likes the bash and crash!!

Not just yet but in 3-4 years Noah Balta could also make guest appearances in the midfield also , He also played some midfield as a 16 year old prior to having his own growth spurt.

Ross , RCD , Balta ,Turner all have size and even Thomson Dow i personally believe will get to his brothers height of 187cm and Hugo is another that will end up close to 190cm with both boys having just turned 18 recently

That's one heck of a large, fast, tough, skilled midfield. I guess there's a plan for a midfield that can dominate the contest and smash the opposition. Quite unlike what we have right now. Obviously complimented by fast skilled runners. And you missed Graham - he's still a kid (although it seems like he's been there forever).

I thought after last year we'd ease off on recruiting the larger contested monsters. But we've kept going. So it's not just addressing a list need, it's more of a plan longer term.

If you are born around 30cm tall (long?) and grow 8cm a year, by the time you reach 18 you will be 174cm.

Growing 8cm in a year is not significant nor unusual, I wouldn't have thought. I grew at least 20cm one year around the age of 16.

but he wasnt small before his growth spurt

thats why its significant in regards to rcd

If you see his recent movement at training, he moves better than Fyfe and Cripps across the ground, why restrict him??

He is better than a bash and crash exponent.

Besides it looks like Noah C likes the bash and crash!!

i dont recall saying that

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you are born around 30cm tall (long?) and grow 8cm a year, by the time you reach 18 you will be 174cm.

Growing 8cm in a year is not significant nor unusual, I wouldn't have thought. I grew at least 20cm one year around the age of 16.

babies are like 50cm tall when born

Just doing some googling on this tells me that boys tend to stop growing significantly in height around 16 years of age. Growth really starts to flatten out after this and on average it seems to me the expected height growth for a male is around a couple of centimetres at most after turning 17. So RCD’s 8cm spurt between about 17 and 18 years of age looks anything but typical. And of course we don’t know whether that was over the course of the whole year or just the footy season.

Your 20cm growth in a year around age 16 looks a big outlier.

Last edited:
i dont know you but i doubt you were already playing reasonable footy at a elite junior level prior to the growth spurt (?)
What's the level of football got to do with it? 8 cm in a given year between 14 and 18/19 is common. Nearly every male would have had a year in their teens where they had a growth spurt of 8cm or greater. What level of sport you're playing is irrelevant.

The obsession with player height by a few on this forum is mind boggling.... I guess the commentators have achieved something.
You're correct. Just because we've had an era where 3 or 4 taller midfielder have excelled it doesn't mean that I'll be the Norm. A good midfielder can be any height.

The obsession with player height by a few on this forum is mind boggling.... I guess the commentators have achieved something.

yes no doubt when people got excited about Richo, Kouta, Cripps, Bont, Fyfe they should calm down because height is not a factor

dusty being 6'2(ish) clearly doesnt help his game at all

Remove this Banner Ad

Back