Player Watch #26 Riley Collier-Dawkins

Remove this Banner Ad

The biggest concern was the dropped mark in front of JR before the end of the third quarter on the wing. I am not sure playing him forward suited him but its important to do the basics well and if he can do what he can control like improving his endurance that might help him gain more confidence and become more engaged in more contests.

When he tried to beat the players after the Balta kick he should have been either trying to snap a goal on either foot or handballing to a teammate. But some of this is probably not enough exposure at the level. Playing reserves and going up against the best is a tough ask especially in the forward line. Its a bit different in the backline where its kick to kick at times. I think he should lose any anxiety if he gets a few more games and we will have a better idea what he may be able to do going forward. I would play him v West Coast and see what happens.

He looked like the situation was imposing for him in terms of body language just in terms of experience amongst our far more experienced campaigners

He is not a leaper, he is a longish strider so we know he is not Winx, but he does not have to be. One thing that is on his side is he is only young and others did questionable things to

In the last quarter it looked like he was more on ball. It looks like he could show a bit more aggression and intent. Looked like he was feeling/finding his way a little

At the centre bounce it looked like he nullified his near opponent at least. I think he could show a bit more presence at times. Case in point near the boundary at around 6 minutes or more into the last quarter the ball went Jordan, Sparrow and Jordan before Jordan went over the line. RCD could have made a bit more of a statement towards Sparrow in regard to a stronger tackling effort just to show impact and presence even if Sparrow might have got the handball away.

When he had that shot at goal he should have taken the mark before hand. Don't want to nit pick but thats two ball through the hands where he should have marked. Can he improve this? What concerns me is the mentality. Does he know dropping marks like that is a cardinal sin? Thats worse than the missed goal in terms of focus and concentration. RCD should be aware his marking could be what makes or breaks his career. He fumbled a ball from a Edwards handball so does he have handling issues or just nerves, surprised by the opposition pressure?

Last edited:

My high hopes for him have started to diminish. Doesn't run hard enough and doesn't attack the ball like a inside mid should. He's actually gone backwards since last year, but to his fairness so have most of the boys. Melbourne's midfield is the best going around and they showed our boys up last night barring Prestia and Cotchin(first half only then he dropped off). So is his tank going to improve as well as his aggression on the ball?? Million dollar question here.
I think he needs to play out the year and just try and develop him and if nothing changes then delist him.
Was probably the worst game possible to play all of RCD , Dow , Ross
Kid was never going to stand a chance 1st game back against Tracca , Oiver & Co

Would be dissapointed if he was dropped and not given another game this week

It seems that Dimma swapped Parker for RCD, and rather than moving the magnets around just left RCD to play Parker's role, which clearly isn't the right role for him.

I think with Dow going out injured, we give RCD one more game - this time as a first choice mid - to see what he can do.

Whilst he was poor against Melbourne, the way they used him did set him up to fail.

It seems that Dimma swapped Parker for RCD, and rather than moving the magnets around just left RCD to play Parker's role, which clearly isn't the right role for him.

I think with Dow going out injured, we give RCD one more game - this time as a first choice mid - to see what he can do.

Whilst he was poor against Melbourne, the way they used him did set him up to fail.
100% agree, give the kid a chance, he is not a forward and hasn't trained as one. We trusted Dow and its paying off, trust this kid next.

Was probably the worst game possible to play all of RCD , Dow , Ross
Kid was never going to stand a chance 1st game back against Tracca , Oiver & Co

Would be dissapointed if he was dropped and not given another game this week

Going forward we can brilliantly manage him to avoid future clashes against Melbourne, Brisbane, Sydney or whoever else might be top four at the time ;)

I mentioned this a few months ago and I know it's just people hoping/wishing and supporting the players, but he's not a 'kid'. Just because he hasn't played many senior games doesn't mean he's a new recruit. He's 22 ffs. Only in this world of 'he just needs more time - senior games will develop him' do some people use the word 'kid'.
So, he has had an affected couple of years of development as an unprecedented situation, but other 'kids' from 18-20 have worked their way into the seniors and become regulars at other clubs. I see him as a ballwatcher at times, doesn't work hard enough both ways, and has a limited ability at centre bounces to get the pill. Although, I haven't seen many of games and haven't seen him live at any level. We, and the MC will get to see him through this season, and hopefully he gets a game in Perth and we can get a better look at where's he's at.
When you look at the picks we have at the end of the year, the players retiring and others who I would delist, he may be recontracted for depth though. After all, he's only 22 ;)

100% agree, give the kid a chance, he is not a forward and hasn't trained as one. We trusted Dow and its paying off, trust this kid next.
It will be wrong if Richmond don’t select him this week. Surely we will give the kid ago.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Going forward we can brilliantly manage him to avoid future clashes against Melbourne, Brisbane, Sydney or whoever else might be top four at the time ;)
No but we may give him 5-6 games to get to the speed of the game rather than just throw him in the deep end and if he has a bad game drop him the next game.

Sink or swim doesnt always work

I mentioned this a few months ago and I know it's just people hoping/wishing and supporting the players, but he's not a 'kid'. Just because he hasn't played many senior games doesn't mean he's a new recruit. He's 22 ffs. Only in this world of 'he just needs more time - senior games will develop him' do some people use the word 'kid'.
So, he has had an affected couple of years of development as an unprecedented situation, but other 'kids' from 18-20 have worked their way into the seniors and become regulars at other clubs. I see him as a ballwatcher at times, doesn't work hard enough both ways, and has a limited ability at centre bounces to get the pill. Although, I haven't seen many of games and haven't seen him live at any level. We, and the MC will get to see him through this season, and hopefully he gets a game in Perth and we can get a better look at where's he's at.
When you look at the picks we have at the end of the year, the players retiring and others who I would delist, he may be recontracted for depth though. After all, he's only 22 ;)

While I hope he makes it, not everyone does. Just because he was a first round pick doesn't guarantee that he will be a superstar. While yes as you say other kids from 18-20 have worked their way into the seniors, there are also plenty of others that haven't. Looking at that draft year 2018 AFL draft - Wikipedia there are players that were taken before him that have already changed clubs, and others that have also played very little.

Also, just for a comparison, all of these players were overlooked in multiple drafts, so as you can see not everybody develops at the same pace and maybe Riley is a slow burn.
Kane Lambert and Tom Stewart were drafted at age 24
Tim Kelly, Dayne Zorko, Dale Morris and Liam Picken were drafted at age 23
Anthony Mcdonald-Tipungwuti, Liam Ryan and Paul Puopolo were drafted at age 22 and there are plenty of others.

As a Richmond player, not to mention a person, he doesn't deserve the vitriol that is being aimed at him by some people on this forum. You may not like him, you may think that he is not up to the AFL level and you may want him delisted, but at the very least try and keep the comments and descriptions of him civil! (BTW, this is not aimed at you DoItForCaptBlood).

Also, just for a comparison, all of these players were overlooked in multiple drafts, so as you can see not everybody develops at the same pace and maybe Riley is a slow burn.
Kane Lambert and Tom Stewart were drafted at age 24
Tim Kelly, Dayne Zorko, Dale Morris and Liam Picken were drafted at age 23
Anthony Mcdonald-Tipungwuti, Liam Ryan and Paul Puopolo were drafted at age 22 and there are plenty of others.
not into vitriol either, but I don't agree with this part. RCD has been in the system, paid a truck load so he can focus on footy alone, as a legitimate career, told how to eat, drink, meditate, train etc. etc.

those late bloomers from outside the system had to earn money outside footy, resist the pressure (particularly at 23-24 yo) to 'get a real career' and give up on the AFL dream etc. etc.

no comparison IMO

* The only players selected after RCD that look to have been a better pic are Bobby Hill & Rowbottom
The rest are all just about a fail
Look closer.

Tom Sparrow (pick 27) is a premiership player cemented in the best 22 of the premiers. James Jordon (33) was 23rd man in the GF and has played every game this year, averaging 21 touches. Justin McInerney (44) is killing it, averaging 23 disposals this year. Jacob Koschitzke )52) kicked 27 goals last year.

O'Halloran, O'Neill, Answerth, Schultz, Vandermeer, Foley, Taylor all going better than Riley too.

Has a great 1st year in the vfl dominating the VFL GF

I think the RFC has not really developed him well and has actually made him go backwards
He played well in the GF, but he did not dominate. His goals were eye-catching.

He has played almost entirely in the midfield in the VFL. How has the club made him go backwards?

Lads missing something is it confidence, belief, or the will and desire to do what is needed to succeed.
Resilience. Bottom lip drops easily. Loses a contest or the ball moves 5 metres from him, he stops.
He's young for his age. Immature.

I posted last week that I couldn't have picked him based on VFL form. But having done so against the best team in the comp, we have to give him a few more games. He can play better.

RCD is a midfielder who will need to learn the half forward role to survive, most midfielders need a second position, hence him playing half forward. He wasn't much chop to say the least as a half forward, but neither were Edwards, Lynch, Balta, Jack, Baker and whoever else gave it a crack.

Dow is out so Dawkins goes on ball. If he improves then he stays in. If he has a howler, then he has to go back and get some leather poisoning before he comes back to try and save his career. The ball is in his court. I can't understand however, why some posters are so hell bent on him failing, a knee jerk desire to put the boots in when someone is on the deck.

I've pretty much given up on the dream of the top end mid. I hope they play him as an inside mid and he has time to play his game. It's worrying that he still isn't able to transition well, and is having a limited impact. However he has amazing traits. Hopefully at worst we get an AFL quality player who fills a role as we develop our new midfield.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back