#26 Sam Weideman - traded to Essendon. Adieu

Remove this Banner Ad

Other than Naughton there aren’t many KPFs who would hold the pack marks SW flies for, and most don’t attempt as many as the Weid does so they don’t appear to drop them as regularly. From a fan perspective he would honestly just be better off staying inside 50 and trying to find more uncontested marks on the lead at this stage, at least until his confidence rises. Tries and fails to do the hard stuff and then is out of position to do the easy stuff. But while we’re winning the coaches don’t seem to care, so who knows.
I think there might be a little in this, he does his team role quite well imo. Always flys and always does it with purpose that maybe he's forgotten a little how to get the easy one. He's actually the opposite of Hogan

I think there might be a little in this, he does his team role quite well imo. Always flys and always does it with purpose that maybe he's forgotten a little how to get the easy one. He's actually the opposite of Hogan
This. I'm frustrated he can't stick his grabs but he's set up a couple of goals each game for our smalls through making a contest, and his follow up work is generally pretty good.
If he could add a couple of goals a game himself by holding his marks and kicking straight that'd be a great result imo. Lack of VFL might save him from being dropped anyway.

It's not just the marks, I genuinely thought he was subbed out at one point during the first half. It's like he's leading to all the wrong spots or something. And his goal kicking, fmd, it's like shooting fish in a barrel for him in the VFL, as soon as he gets into the AFL side though he drops like 25% in accuracy.

I'd love to see a compilation of all the marks that have just gone DOINK straight out of his hands the last few games.

He's getting close to it but needs to find Jesus/confidence/technique/gloves to start grabbing the marks.
I don’t see many players using “grippo” or whatever he puts on his jumper, I’m sure that helps Tommy Mac ALOT that stuff makes your hands like glue and he rubs a big old smudge in his jumper each quarter.

I don’t see many players using “grippo” or whatever he puts on his jumper, I’m sure that helps Tommy Mac ALOT that stuff makes your hands like glue and he rubs a big old smudge in his jumper each quarter.

Loved me a bit of gripo back in the day 👍

That's stuff actually broken, I don't know why the AFL hasn't banned it, legit makes you hold everything

Can't grippo fu** your ball drop? Would be cruel if he started clunking everything but then sprays every shot cause he has to shake the ball loose from his hand when kicking.
Depends how much you use and where you put it. I only used it on my finger tips, never my palms.

Can't grippo fu** your ball drop? Would be cruel if he started clunking everything but then sprays every shot cause he has to shake the ball loose from his hand when kicking.
Got the weirdest mental image just now of Weid trying to kick a ball that is superglued to his hands. I think PG is nearly ready for the bye round

I can imagine how frustrated he must be because he's frustrating us all at the moment.
He could be a lock at CHF for the next 6-8 years if he could get his s**t together.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If the coaches have told him to fly for everything and just bring the ball to the ground then he is doing his job perfectly

But with Ben Brown looking over his shoulder that would only hold up for a week or two before BBB comes in

don't sound so surprised :tired:

I feel like he is really close to securing his spot but is just falling short. Unfortunately it has been a bit like that his whole career, has never kicked more than 3 in a game and barely averages a goal a game. He'd know as an out of contract player he needs to lift badly, yes he is playing his role but if this form continues he could be out of the system end of next year.

If Weideman was holding even half of the marks he was flying for we'd be talking about him as the next coming of Jonathon Brown, not sure about comparisons to Dawes who I'm pretty sure didn't have anything like Weid's athleticism and endeavour. I don't know why people suggest that he's soft or doesn't like body contact either (not on here, but certainly every other post on the shadowy place at Demonland), pretty weird to say on the eye test. But definitely isn't making the right decisions for his individual performance. Looked much better as a forward leading out of the 50 with Fritsch last year, but his synergy with a firing TMac is off. At the betterment of the team. I'd rather we just leave him in until it becomes a noticeable problem, but the last couple of weeks suggest that it isn't for now IMO. His games in the side are probably our highest scoring four game period this season. Just in for structure. If he and Hunt are our 21st and 22nd player we're doing pretty well.

Thing is he’s dropping the ball at other places around the ground too, under far less duress than a five player pack in the goal square. Nerves? Maybe.
It becomes a habit I’d say, eventually you’re just scared of dropping them. Just needs to accept that he’s not a pack marking player and play within his limits - again, unless the coaches are asking him to do differently.

Other than Naughton there aren’t many KPFs who would hold the pack marks SW flies for, and most don’t attempt as many as the Weid does so they don’t appear to drop them as regularly.
From a fan perspective he would honestly just be better off staying inside 50 and trying to find more uncontested marks on the lead at this stage, at least until his confidence rises. Tries and fails to do the hard stuff and then is out of position to do the easy stuff. But while we’re winning the coaches don’t seem to care, so who knows.

So many supporters are scrutinizing Weide, expecting domination from him.

Here are the 2021 averages for Contested Marks, per AFL players. >

Compare
Tom Hawkins (ranked 43rd)
Jack Riewoldt (ranked 100th)
Jeremy Cameron (ranked 167th)

...and then compare our boys,

Max Gawn (ranked 2nd)
Tom McDonald (ranked 37th)
Sam weideman (ranked 64th)
Luke Jackson (ranked 80th)

I think Weide is doing well in his games, and those clunkers are not far away.
Our forward-line shape, is fine.

So many supporters are scrutinizing Weide, expecting domination from him.

Here are the 2021 averages for Contested Marks, per AFL players. >

Compare
Tom Hawkins (ranked 43rd)
Jack Riewoldt (ranked 100th)
Jeremy Cameron (ranked 167th)

...and then compare our boys,

Max Gawn (ranked 2nd)
Tom McDonald (ranked 37th)
Sam weideman (ranked 64th)
Luke Jackson (ranked 80th)

I think Weide is doing well in his games, and those clunkers are not far away.
Our forward-line shape, is fine.
Like i said, if he starts taking them people will lose their minds. If he doesn’t, there’s still a role player there.

This goal by ANB. Brown probably would've taken the mark, but if he dropped it, there is NO way he would've done the same work with the ground ball that Weideman managed.

He needs to take the marks but at least every one of our tall options is mobile and reasonably effective below their knees.

Thing is he’s dropping the ball at other places around the ground too, under far less duress than a five player pack in the goal square. Nerves? Maybe.

More like confidence I’d say.

I think we’ve all got to accept Weid isn’t going to be a star KPF for us. But if he can play his role and it helps keep our forward line functioning, then that’s ok for me.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back