Past #26: Tarryn Thomas [Part III] - 18 week suspension confirmed; ineligible to play in '24 season; NMFC has officially sacked Tarryn.

Remove this Banner Ad

Morris just making it up as he goes along it seems.

But where there's smoke, there's fire. I'd say it's goodbye to Tarryn's North Melbourne career.

Nah, he knows what he's talking about unfortunately. He may also be a sexist ass but he's one of the most clued in blokes in footy.

Tell me they automatically deregistered without telling me the deregistered him.

Deregistration​

Under the official AFL Deregistration Policy first implemented in May 2011, any player who accumulates a total of at least 10 weeks of suspensions over the course of their football career (both inside and outside the AFL) receives a formal notice that further suspensions can result in their automatic deregistration from the league.

Any player who accumulates a total of 16 weeks or more of suspensions over the course of their career will be automatically deregistered and barred from any further participation. Any previous suspensions within the AFL are carried over at 75% of their original length (e.g. a previous suspension of four weeks will only count as three weeks under this policy), but any immediate suspension is to be considered at its full length. If any player receives an immediate first suspension of 16 weeks or more, deregistration is left at the discretion of the league.

A deregistered player may apply for an exemption to re-register or appeal the deregistration under the appropriate laws of the league after 12 months. However, only one request can be made. Should a player be exempted and re-registered, any further suspension will result in permanent, irrevocable deregistration.[3]

Deregistration is only practiced in country and suburban football competitions; it is not practiced by the AFL as of 2022,[4] since the deregistration policy was designed for serial aggressive offenders, not low-level repeat offenders: in the event, there has not been a serial aggressive offender issue at AFL level since the mid-1990s.[5]

To summarise:

• one of North's best players was accused of inappropriate behaviour last January
  • he's been ordered to train away from the club since then
  • Tom Morris is now reporting that the AFL Commission has ratified an 18 week penalty
  • Jon Ralph quotes Todd Viney, who says no one at North know anything about the allegations or the status of the investigation
  • Tom Morris says the Commission might officially hand down its findings tomorrow

Amateur hour from AFL house.

“fresh allegations of inappropriate behaviour”

I just heard it on the news.

We put our full trust in him to change, gave him all the programs and stood behind him and he’s done it again.
Fresh allegation doesn't necessarily mean a fresh action, just that the allegation is recent. Sounds to me like rephrasing the things we've already heard the way journalists do, because we still don't actually know what happened.

As usual; if he did it again, * him. If it's from the same time as the others, this is a gross over the top punishment.

Tell me they automatically deregistered without telling me the deregistered him.

Deregistration​

Under the official AFL Deregistration Policy first implemented in May 2011, any player who accumulates a total of at least 10 weeks of suspensions over the course of their football career (both inside and outside the AFL) receives a formal notice that further suspensions can result in their automatic deregistration from the league.

Any player who accumulates a total of 16 weeks or more of suspensions over the course of their career will be automatically deregistered and barred from any further participation. Any previous suspensions within the AFL are carried over at 75% of their original length (e.g. a previous suspension of four weeks will only count as three weeks under this policy), but any immediate suspension is to be considered at its full length. If any player receives an immediate first suspension of 16 weeks or more, deregistration is left at the discretion of the league.

A deregistered player may apply for an exemption to re-register or appeal the deregistration under the appropriate laws of the league after 12 months. However, only one request can be made. Should a player be exempted and re-registered, any further suspension will result in permanent, irrevocable deregistration.[3]

Deregistration is only practiced in country and suburban football competitions; it is not practiced by the AFL as of 2022,[4] since the deregistration policy was designed for serial aggressive offenders, not low-level repeat offenders: in the event, there has not been a serial aggressive offender issue at AFL level since the mid-1990s.[5]

"Deregistration is only practiced in country and suburban football competitions; it is not practiced by the AFL as of 2022"

“fresh allegations of inappropriate behaviour”

I just heard it on the news.

We put our full trust in him to change, gave him all the programs and stood behind him and he’s done it again.
If any journo knows about the substance or timeline of the new allegations, that hasn't been reflected in any story yet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don’t think we’ll see him in a north jumper again. Which is a damn shame considering how much development and time we’ve put into him,

Watch him go to Geelong or Collingwood next year for peanuts. Then he’ll have success at that club that picks him up and they will be painted as the good guys who provided him with the right amount of support so that he could flourish.

Don’t think we’ll see him in a north jumper again. Which is a damn shame considering how much development and time we’ve put into him,

Watch him go to Geelong or Collingwood next year for peanuts. Then he’ll have success at that club that picks him up and they will be painted as the good guys who provided him with the right amount of support so that he could flourish.

Then it’s our fault for trading him for peanuts.

If the rumours were true and north talked the afl down to 18 weeks from deregistration, that indicates to me

1: we aim to keep him

2: we aim to trade him

Given the most we’d get for him come
The end of the year is pick 69, im assuming we aim to keep him

I am sure i am not the only one who thought like this but this guy was the one i wanted to see under Clarko.

He had/has all the tools to dominate all 1/3rds of the ground and I could see a world where he became a player who could go anywhere required, ala Shaun Burgyone.

Absolutely dreadful result for all concerned and maybe it wasn't his manager who was shopping him last Summer, maybe it was us but we couldn't find any suitable offers.....

To summarise:

• one of North's best players was accused of inappropriate behaviour last January
  • he's been ordered to train away from the club since then
  • Tom Morris is now reporting that the AFL Commission has ratified an 18 week penalty
  • Jon Ralph quotes Todd Viney, who says no one at North know anything about the allegations or the status of the investigation
  • Tom Morris says the Commission might officially hand down its findings tomorrow

Amateur hour from AFL house.
i know the AFL is an easy target, mostly thanks to themselves, but I think you're wrong on this one.

The AFL told everyone they're investigating and have remained tight lipped since.
They now decided on a punishment and said will publish it tomorrow. Presumably after talking to the club this afternoon.
TT's camp most likely the one's who have informed Tom Morris and co. Don't forget all our ITKs on this board weren't from the AFL either.

I think the AFL, North and the AFLPA along with Tarryn need to do a joint press conference detailing everything as clearly as possible. Whatever the penalty so be it!!! but as paid members we are entitled to know why one of our best players has been suspended. I am sure they will do this. If not it’s a joke of the highest degree

"Deregistration is only practiced in country and suburban football competitions; it is not practiced by the AFL as of 2022"
But he must have breached a behaviour clause somewhere.

He should be stood down immediately without pay.

If the AFL are slapping down 18 weeks, I cannot see how it attract criminal charges.

His absence from the team photo last week speaks volumes, he's done at North. I understand the cynicism of a redemption arc with another club, I'm not saying it won't happen, but there's more chance his career fades to oblivion I'm not sure he has the capacity to change or even wants to change.

Frankly, he shouldn't be allowed to go anywhere after this.

It's absolute bullshit that he gets to sit down on his hands for well over a year now after this match ban from seniors footy, still get paid and when the season is over he can hop over to a bigger club that will fork out more money for him and he can play his best footy there for the rest of his days meanwhile North, who has invested into this guy well before he was even drafted, practically did everything to nurture his inborn talent for footy to give him the best possible run at it, is the only one really getting screwed here since the initial Polec trade was so bad and its been flashes of what could have been on games where we were getting belted season after season and now we've finally steered the ship into somewhat of a stable footing with a decent prospective list... He's gone.

It's bullshit. Its the height of modern sports bullshit. The players don't suffer in these cases, they still get paid and walk out the other side of controversy relatively scot-free, it's the clubs that invested in them that get all the punishment and zero kickback for it, the best you get is a MAYBE good replacement. A guarantee vs. a gamble.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back