Past #26: Tarryn Thomas - Roo until end '24

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your neighbourhood friendly boxing gym is slightly removed from prize fight game..
Yet you bring up UFC and the same phenomenon can be seen there.
I brought up an example of a company knowing that the training standards of their fighters is lacking - thanks to a lot of variables (money, education, locality etc.). Boxing is older and has less and has similar issues. Even Floyd mayweather admitted to keeping it basic with medicine ball/body weight workouts plus pad work. Science is lacking in those old school sports unless you're training with Ivan Drago.

I also brought up MMA because there are more parallels between MMA fighters and AFL players than there are for Boxing and AFL.

I'm sure Tarryn would have a finely tuned nonlinear year long macro-cycle worked out for him anyway.

Needs to be a priority for the club! People in the know, are expecting Tarryn to be a key signing for the AFL Tasmania team... and that's progressing faster than many are letting on.

Based on crowds of >12,000, no economy & no money for a team?

Based on meetings I've attended actually.

And he's not the only one, there's a lad at Adelaide that gets mentioned just as much as TT.

I get that there's some Tassie supporters & local pollies agitating, but were those meetings at AFL house?

Do they have a funding model that will bullet proof a Tasmanian team for at least a decade?

They'd need a $50 million a year up front guaranteed for a decade to be any chance of it happening, and that's before factoring the North-South divide.

They also have bugger all market growth potential.

I can't see any rational basis for the AFL backing this up. They'd be manufacturing an eternal basket-case.

They'd need a $50 million a year up front guaranteed for a decade to be any chance of it happening, and that's before factoring the North-South divide.

I can't see any rational basis for the AFL backing this up. They'd be manufacturing an eternal basket-case.
And GC isn’t?

Even fast fast tracked a Tassie team couldn't come in earlier than 2027.

Current TV rights deal expires 2022 and next one would be starting negotiation about now. On the basis of 18 teams, and Tassie games coming from North and Hawthorn.

They are usually five/six year arrangements.

And GC isn’t?

Market growth?

The two are incom****ingparable mate.

What are the AFL going to get out of Tasmania that they don't already have?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I suppose Darwin will enter the comp with Tassie in that case.
Do they strike you as an organisation that cares much for the goodwill of rusted on supporters?
Yeah just having a laugh.

I suspect they will eventually give in to outside pressure and put in a Tassie team which I reckon will lose money and be propped up by the AFL for years to come.

Yeah just having a laugh.

I suspect they will eventually give in to outside pressure and put in a Tassie team which I reckon will lose money and be propped up by the AFL for years to come.

They may think its less politically damaging to lose money to a traditional football state by moving the GC to Tassie and give more space to the shrinking Lions base.

They are losing money anyway!

Fitzroy? Hawthorn-Melbourne? The Bulldogs? North?

The AFL don't give a flying **** about "romance", and Tasmania doesn't have the market forces, the state political unity, OR the money.

I'm not making this claim because I have any vested interest in the possibility one way or the other, it's just the facts.

They may think its less politically damaging to lose money to a traditional football state by moving the GC to Tassie and give more space to the shrinking Lions base.

They are losing money anyway!

"Politically damaging"?

L O ****ing L

Have you taken the slightest notice about what these clowns have been doing for the past 20 years?!

They have alienated to football heartlands to the point where there's talk of revolt, do you honestly think they give a stuff about a few thousand Tasmanian's?

"Politically damaging"?

L O ****ing L

Have you taken the slightest notice about what these clowns have been doing for the past 20 years?!

They have alienated to football heartlands to the point where there's talk of revolt, do you honestly think they give a stuff about a few thousand Tasmanian's?

They care what the media think and say and that's all. On more than a few shows I've heard discussions about flogging dead horses and good money after bad - The AFL needs to act.

Also lots of talk about regional football etc. A move to Tassie for the pollies and the look of supporting a growing smaller 'traditional' state may tick some boxes

I never mentioned fans - you mentioned fans

I just shared an idea.

The economics for a Tassie team is perfectly fine, it is utter tripe that this is a reason for no support. If you review the revenue streams for most clubs, a club our size does well from the corporate dollar but it is behind AFL dollars for revenue figures and just ahead of membership. That means they really only need to find around $10-$15m of Corporate dollar (including match day corporate, functions etc) to be in the ball park. With extra funding from the AFL (only needs to be a few $m) and support from state government (which would be a must), there is no reason a team couldn't work down there. Also, if the Roos-Hawks deals are anything to go by, a similar deal would likely outstrip our gate receipts by a fair margin.

Then there is the golden goose, a state of 500k only needs to convert 10% of members, which would be a population share similar in Vic to reach 50k members.

Would it have to run lean at the start, sure, but there is no reason it cannot be a successful club.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back