Player Watch #27 Thomson Dow - signed to 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

I find it hilarious when people say 5th season because they know it sounds more damning than saying 25 games.
The majority of his 25 games have been scattered over those 5 years he has been on the list.
He hasn't been consistent because he hasn't had a consistent go of it. Now that he is starting to get a run of games, his excuses will be less and less but right now I've seen enough to know he is worth persisting with.
The fact he couldn't crack into the side and earn his spot or play well enough to keep it, doesn't mean time stops around him. It's his 5th season and by this stage most mids who are going to be anything decent are clear best 22 and offering a lot more than Dow is.

I find it hilarious when people say 5th season because they know it sounds more damning than saying 25 games.
The majority of his 25 games have been scattered over those 5 years he has been on the list.
He hasn't been consistent because he hasn't had a consistent go of it. Now that he is starting to get a run of games, his excuses will be less and less but right now I've seen enough to know he is worth persisting with.

What a ludicrous statement. People say it's his 5th season....... because it is in fact his 5th season. Not some ulterior motive to paint a harsh picture, just stating cold hard facts. Drafted in 2019.. 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024 yep 5th season checks out. No true fan celebrates when 1st rounders are busts like Ellis, Lennon, RCD, Conca, but let's be honest the signs aren't good. He's played all 8 games, shown very little and if we had Ross, Taranto, Hopper and Prestia to choose from he'd be 1st out. He can't kick, absolutely can't kick a goal to save himself, Mcauliffe in his first 2 VFL games upstaged him as had Sonsie.

They're hardly going to demote Prestia and Hopper to magoos whilst continuing to play Dow with his piss poor output. He's still on the list by virtue of being a 1st rounder, not on merit at all. Naish and Martyn were far better players than him as was his brother. Prestias back this week, Hopper the next, so he'd better really pull his finger out because our forward line can't afford to have another player incapable of kicking goals in it.

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 unfortunately he'd been at Punt Rd for 6 months when Covid struck. He was 2019 draft Covid didn't bob up til March 2020, so he wasn't effected at all.
They’re all excuses and if you go through the COVID years and players drafted compared to non Covid seasons they pretty well match up with success and failures. I can’t see what people see in this bloke as it wasn’t until he lined up next to an Eagles mid a few weeks ago I couldn’t believe how tiny he was. I actually said to my brother he looks like an U16 kid.
What’ve Meehan and the rest of those clowns been doing with this bloke for five years? Yesterday the Dockers mids monstered him again and Banks as well . Even Bolton was tiny and with them all on the ground at once we were pushed around like kiddies in a pram. Bolton as brilliant as he is had no hope of getting in the game basically bc Banks and Dow’s opponents had ample time to step on him as they really didn’t have a bloke all day. The scoreboard could’ve been uglier in the end and to my dismay with the amount of midfield dominance they got it actually flattered us.
Add Baker and Short and an invisible Campbell and we were in massive trouble from the start. They just looked like school kids trying to get a kick against the local first division footy side. People can talk up Baker as much as they like on here and even my brother talks him up , but to me he’s overrated and replaceable. Thinks he’s a big tough guy , but goes missing when the real men come out to play. Gets monstered in the midfield with Short when they go in there as they’re just HBF. Whatever we can con teams for him I’ll laugh all the way to the bank as he’s nothing unless you have the elite of Jr8; Martin, Cotchin, Lynch and guys like Grimes and Broad at their best. Some of those big Docker boys rubbed his face into the dirt a few times yesterday. 😝

Last edited:
Watching him closely I notice his only intent is to handball and when his only option is to kick he hesitates soooo long and poops himself as it exposes that he just can't kick. That kick to Ralphsmith under no pressure was U14 skills and he still fluffs it and set him up. It's not like he handballs anything remotely like Diesel or Craig Lambert either so he's basically useless. Back to Magoos bring in McAuliffe and Hopper back soon.

Last edited:
Oh how I almost blew my top when he didn't follow the footy to the boundary in the last and kill it over the line.
He also has no confidence in his kicking and it's infuriating to watch because he does these little dink kicks that have too much hang time and inevitably get intercepted or at the very least contested.
For almost getting it twenty times, it was one of his worst performances and should be dropped.

I was one of the last that had faith in him and wanted him to stay in the team but that performance was inexcusable. He will likely hold his place though considering we had three players who got injured.

FMD … he was playing his 24th game and was one of our best players on the night, playing arguably his best game against the premier midfield in the competition. Just give him some credit and move on. He wasn’t BOG but he was very good and if he continues with games like that he will be a long term player for us. Stop looking for reasons to shitcan him.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

How does this make you feel 2 weeks later?

Guy had 1 good, not even great, game and you were like Greta going at someone over a diesel because i didn't want to give him a standing ovation....

Guy is so "meh" and has been for his whole career, we need to have standards that are worth celebrating otherwise we are just pulling our own dicks here.

Whoever said he was "Edwards Like" needs to deactivate their account and make the rest of us a humble pie to feast on

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I dont disagree with many of the comments, but I do see it a little different.

His attack on the ball has improved
He is actually great at getting first hands to the ball
He has great agility and ability to step in and our of traffic
He is trying but lacks a decent tank for transition

The problem is he is too one dimensional and has non existent 2 way running.

I dont disagree with many of the comments, but I do see it a little different.

His attack on the ball has improved
He is actually great at getting first hands to the ball
He has great agility and ability to step in and our of traffic
He is trying but lacks a decent tank for transition

The problem is he is too one dimensional and has non existent 2 way running.
Regarding the point about transitional running, he got quite a few possessions deep in defence last week, in other words he was probably the only mid who went down into defence to help.

Regarding the point about transitional running, he got quite a few possessions deep in defence last week, in other words he was probably the only mid who went down into defence to help.
More probably bc the ball was down there more often than anywhere else bc we got smashed in the midfield.

He should still play over graham ect. He might be ok as the 4th or 5th midfielder down the track
his biggest concern is he has no other position on the ground. hes either in the middle or on the bench. you might get away with that if you've an absolute beast midfielder but if hes 4th or 5th string he's never gonna progress beyond capable depth.

The offensive life had all but been sucked out of him by Dimma . If they can blow wind up his arse and get him to run through and forward of clearances he will be a very very good midfielder who will allow players like bolton /Dan Rioli shine .
Such has bern our poor de elopement of players he us basically a 1st/2nd year draftee.
Fwiw I thought he was in our top 7-8 players v the bullfrogs .

He we never be an AFL quality player same with Ralphsmith they are VFL players at best.

He hasn't improved with all opportunities he is just a wasted spot at this point in time. he has no hurt factor had 20+ disposals once all year with the time in the middle he doesn't tackle below average in most stats, gets pushed off the ball by the opposition at will.

If he continues to be played I am sorry that's a knock on Yze.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back