Player Watch #27 Thomson Dow - signed to 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

He we never be an AFL quality player same with Ralphsmith they are VFL players at best.

He hasn't improved with all opportunities he is just a wasted spot at this point in time. he has no hurt factor had 20+ disposals once all year with the time in the middle he doesn't tackle below average in most stats, gets pushed off the ball by the opposition at will.

If he continues to be played I am sorry that's a knock on Yze.
Would have thought Ralphsmith is one of the few positives of the last 3 weeks. Was in our best again last week.

Na he soft, doesn't go in hard enough, I watched him closely he had several opportunities to get the ball but chose to stay back does a lot of nothing running.
Outside runner wingman, maybe that's his role. Got it 18 times and is using it well these days. When we watch players hard, we always see their negatives over their positives.

Na he soft, doesn't go in hard enough, I watched him closely he had several opportunities to get the ball but chose to stay back does a lot of nothing running.
That's just not true. He has his faults like everyone, but that's not fair.

You need to realise the pulled kick against Sydney was the right option , it took time off the clock and went along way to winning us the game . We were out in our feet.

The fact you use that instance at every instance to deflect positivity around Dow shows you’re struggling to maintain your negative attitude toward him .
Just admit it , the kid can play and if he gets more opportunity he’ll become more consistent and there’ll be more flare .
Hey Mr Dow ... how are they hanging?

Need to build the midfield with Mcauliff and Dow. Have to draft 2 mids in the top 10. Ross, Taranto, Hopper, Graham, Sonsie all being available would be nice. If we get a second pick in the the top 10 we could have 2 ready made mids. Imagine a Reid and Horne Francis added to the midfield. The engine is currently missing 6 cylinders. We’d be a complete different team with a full v8 with extra on the side. The backs and forwards will perform to their max. We probably have to trade Baker or Bolton to get the second pick though but we have enough small forwards

His attack on the ball has improved
He is actually great at getting first hands to the ball
He has great agility and ability to step in and our of traffic
He is trying but lacks a decent tank for transition
That reads like an U/18 review not someone who has had 5 preseasons and has been paid enough money 💴 over the last 5 years to be a full time footballer who’s only responsibility is to improve.
It doesn’t read like there has been much improvement.

I dont disagree with many of the comments, but I do see it a little different.

His attack on the ball has improved
He is actually great at getting first hands to the ball
He has great agility and ability to step in and our of traffic
He is trying but lacks a decent tank for transition

The problem is he is too one dimensional and has non existent 2 way running.
He has done all those things since day 1......4.5 years ago.

List.clogger.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Need to build the midfield with Mcauliff and Dow. Have to draft 2 mids in the top 10. Ross, Taranto, Hopper, Graham, Sonsie all being available would be nice. If we get a second pick in the the top 10 we could have 2 ready made mids. Imagine a Reid and Horne Francis added to the midfield. The engine is currently missing 6 cylinders. We’d be a complete different team with a full v8 with extra on the side. The backs and forwards will perform to their max. We probably have to trade Baker or Bolton to get the second pick though but we have enough small forwards
I wouldn’t build a midfield around Dow, maybe a toilet because he’s shit.

I wouldn’t build a midfield around Dow, maybe a toilet because he’s s**t.
Two weeks ago Dow played a good game. One week later he is delistable. Our C grade midfield up against an A grade one (when allowed to play that way). Nobody moves the ball better by hand the the Dogs when they are on, (mainly because they throw it but still). Dow is not in our top few mids, but he is backup who has played some good games. He will need to keep improving as our younger mids start developing, until then there's not point slagging him off.

Dow lacks size strength, offensive or defensive weaponary is slow and he can't kick and is in year 5 !!!
How is he even on the list ...

Beavis And Butthead Comedy GIF by Paramount+

Two weeks ago Dow played a good game. One week later he is delistable. Our C grade midfield up against an A grade one (when allowed to play that way). Nobody moves the ball better by hand the the Dogs when they are on, (mainly because they throw it but still). Dow is not in our top few mids, but he is backup who has played some good games. He will need to keep improving as our younger mids start developing, until then there's not point slagging him off.
It wasn't a good game ... it was just less shit

A 22 year old 27 gamer being asked to play as our number 1 midfielder with little to no senior support around him over the last 5 weeks and posters are suggesting that he won't make it and isn't good enough to even be on the list.

Like a lot of our kids making definitive judgements on them during the current injury crisis is wrong. Dow is never going to be an elite A grade midfielder who can carry a side, but within a proper midfield structure he can be a very solid role player who compliments the better mids, in much the same way guys like Lambert Edwards & Graham complimented Martin Cotchin & Prestia when we were at our best.

The funny thing is that if he was dominating now, the very same posters that are writing him off would be calling him a superstar and a steal that we got late in the first round.

How about we give the kid some time and see how he performs later in the season when we have Taranto and Hopper back in the middle to take some of the heat off the kid. Surely that isn't too much to ask?

Sonz has been playing, shoved up fwd a bit Bolton started the Dogs game in the middle, and an injured Dusty is some depth, Prestia is still OK.

2023 we had a full list of senior mids and a full back line. Last year we couldn't win without Lynch really, this year the same.

Can anyone tell me how Tanner Bruhn has gone the last couple of weeks in losses without Danger and other senior midfielders to support him?

R8 v Demons: 9 disposals at 44% DE before subbed out injured after 50% game time.

R10 v GC: 22 x CBA’s. 11 touches. 90 minutes game time.

He was a pick #12 and has played 57 games.

In 2023 for the Cats he played 19 games (he came in with 30 games under his belt) and averaged 16.3 touches. Dow came into 2023 with 13 games under his belt and averaged 17.5.

Dow is only 8-months older than Bruhn, and has 26 career games compared to 57.

We just need to retain perspective when a smaller midfielder is shouldering too big a load due to injuries to other mids.

I even see many posts here suggesting we target Finn Macrae. He’s only 5-months younger than Dow. He has played 16 games to Dow’s 26.

Jake Soligo played 37 games prior to 2024, averaging just 15 touches, 3 tackles, 2 I50’s and 2 clearances across 2022/23 in a developing team.

Lo and behold … in 2024 he has popped, averaging 23 / 4 / 3 / 4. It’s almost like players improve as their team gets better and they get more experience…..

Tom Powell was a pick-13 in draft of 2020. Had played 45 games leading into 2024, averaging 16 touches, 3 tackles and 2 clearances. What has 2024 brought? 22 / 4 / 5.

What about Durham? 49 games leading into 2024. Averaging 15 / 1.5 / 1 across 2021-23. 2024 averaging 20 / 4 / 4.

So I don’t know if Dow will get there or not. But I do know it would be stupid to put a line through him before he reaches that 40-50 game bracket, as that is when majority of players ‘pop’ in their performance.

So I’ll make assessments end of 2025. If he’s still producing the same as he is now without any ‘pop’ in performance then he’s going to struggle to retain his spot on the list. But delisting end of 2024 after 40-games and 5-years of development would be a mistake.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Can anyone tell me how Tanner Bruhn has gone the last couple of weeks in losses without Danger and other senior midfielders to support him?

R8 v Demons: 9 disposals at 44% DE before subbed out injured after 50% game time.

R10 v GC: 22 x CBA’s. 11 touches. 90 minutes game time.

He was a pick #12 and has played 57 games.

In 2023 for the Cats he played 19 games (he came in with 30 games under his belt) and averaged 16.3 touches. Dow came into 2023 with 13 games under his belt and averaged 17.5.

Dow is only 8-months older than Bruhn, and has 26 career games compared to 57.

We just need to retain perspective when a smaller midfielder is shouldering too big a load due to injuries to other mids.

I even see many posts here suggesting we target Finn Macrae. He’s only 5-months younger than Dow. He has played 16 games to Dow’s 26.

Jake Soligo played 37 games prior to 2024, averaging just 15 touches, 3 tackles, 2 I50’s and 2 clearances across 2022/23 in a developing team.

Lo and behold … in 2024 he has popped, averaging 23 / 4 / 3 / 4. It’s almost like players improve as their team gets better and they get more experience…..

Tom Powell was a pick-13 in draft of 2020. Had played 45 games leading into 2024, averaging 16 touches, 3 tackles and 2 clearances. What has 2024 brought? 22 / 4 / 5.

What about Durham? 49 games leading into 2024. Averaging 15 / 1.5 / 1 across 2021-23. 2024 averaging 20 / 4 / 4.

So I don’t know if Dow will get there or not. But I do know it would be stupid to put a line through him before he reaches that 40-50 game bracket, as that is when majority of players ‘pop’ in their performance.

So I’ll make assessments end of 2025. If he’s still producing the same as he is now without any ‘pop’ in performance then he’s going to struggle to retain his spot on the list. But delisting end of 2024 after 40-games and 5-years of development would be a mistake.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

The difference with Dow and McRae is Dow is clearly not an inside mid as opposed to McRae who has no issues with physicality. Where is Dows best position? Outside mid ? Well his skills aren’t exactly great either. Just too many weaknesses imo and will happily be proven wrong but he definitely isn’t best 22.

The difference with Dow and McRae is Dow is clearly not an inside mid as opposed to McRae who has no issues with physicality. Where is Dows best position? Outside mid ? Well his skills aren’t exactly great either. Just too many weaknesses imo and will happily be proven wrong but he definitely isn’t best 22.

Dow plays in the guts. But alongside a genuine bull. Dow adds evasiveness and the ability to grunt. He is not grunt itself.

In a well structured midfield he has a spot. Without the inside bulls he is playing a role he isn't suited to.

Not exactly true. Dow gets to the fall of the ball and is often our first hands on player. When Taranto/Hopper play they are often first touch or putting the body over the ball which leaves space for Dow to hit the ball without the heavy bodies in there. He is good at that due to his agility, which is the one ace he has. He then usually dishes it out to someone is space.

The Dogs midfield is a bit the same, they have Libba doing the grunt work, dishing it out to Bont and Treloar and recently Richards. Bont and Treloar are miles above Dow, as they use it by foot so much better, but they are A graders, Bont elite, best Dow will be is a solid B grader, if he gets there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back