#29 Jayden Hunt - joins WCE as a free agent, pick 52 compo

Remove this Banner Ad

33 kicks in the last 5 weeks.
Tracs had 34 in the last 2 weeks.

Hunts form hasn't been as good as some would think but winning masks everything

I'm not too fussed by his disposals mate, he's been defending well and has been clean with the ball.

He's not a world-beater but if he locks down his man and doesn't screw up he can stay in the team all year regardless of if he's an offensive weapon or not.

I reckon Hunt is putting defence first and foremost and he's been very good defensively this year, definite bonus to have a guy who's so quick but deceptively tall, so not only can he quickly get back to corral he can also spoil key forwards in pinch.

Would be good to see him getting a few more runs off half back, but also Salem is the defender we want getting the ball the most. He's a key part of our set up down there, he's not going anywhere.

I'm not too fussed by his disposals mate, he's been defending well and has been clean with the ball.

He's not a world-beater but if he locks down his man and doesn't screw up he can stay in the team all year regardless of if he's an offensive weapon or not.
I wouldn't drop him but I reckon when you're possibly the fastest bloke in the league you should be able to get more than 7 kicks per game. I think he needs to attack the game alot more than he has been

I wouldn't drop him but I reckon when you're possibly the fastest bloke in the league you should be able to get more than 7 kicks per game. I think he needs to attack the game alot more than he has been

No disagreement there!

Yes. How dare I say Hunt doesn't get enough of the ball and then use kicking stats for a running half back.

I should not say dumb things like how he doesn't get ruck taps
Take a deep breath TK, you said Hunt was being carried I disagree, you then compared a half back to a midfielder which I then pointed out was a dumb comparison and then made an equally dumb comparison to prove the point, ie Gawn and Hitouts.

If you want to make a point to support your argument that Hunt is being carried at least make a relevant one, Hunts role is entirely different to that of Trac and definitely not predicated on winning the footy alone, as I said he was down V north and Swans good against Richmond and yesterday, hardly being carried, far from it

He’s been fine. He’s not vector 1A off half back but does his role. TK would bitch if he got 20 kicks because then he would bitch about ball use. He’s doing his job in generating run and working the wing.

Feel quite bad for Hunt, has managed to secure himself a spot in the side all year and has had a really good last 4 weeks or so and even prior to that was much improved on previous seasons. Still not a great kick but he has at least learnt to lower the eyes most of the time even if he frequently over kicks it when running at top speed.

Despite all of that, probably one of the easiest players for us to cover.

Well good bye Hunt maybe that should be the subject title now.

Thought he finally learned to lower his eyes and not chew off more than he could with his kicking (well mostly, and I hope they don't think he can kick the ball as well as Jetta).

A most divisive player I feel in this forum we shall forever have that magical torp moment though to fall back on.

Edited to put in a link: 3 Year Deal

Good for him, take the money/security and run. Unfortunately he'll likely never play in a flag now, but I think it makes sense for him regardless.

No big loss for us – had some really good moments over the years, but unfortunately these were often outweighed by some bizarre decision making, poor defending and awful execution by foot. Always liked him more as a forward tbh.

Still, seems a great guy and at times was a whole lot of fun to watch. Wish him well.

Last edited:
Jayden Hunt: Going West aka the mummy's boy state

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well good bye Hunt maybe that should be the subject title now.

Thought he finally learned to lower his eyes and not chew off more than he could with his kicking (well mostly, and I hope they don't think he can kick the ball as well as Jetta).

A most divisive player I feel in this forum we shall forever have that magical torp moment though to fall back on.

Edited to put in a link: 3 Year Deal
Not sure what you were watching, the bloke was a ******* peanut who either got caught out of position in no mans land defending resulting in a cheap goal, gave up some poxy free inside D50 resulting in a cheap goal, hacked it straight to an opposition which came straight back in resulting in a goal or tried to run so far a ruckman could tackle him despite his pace. Wish the bloke well but he isn't going to do much where ever he lands, went backwards as fast as he can run since 2018.

Hunt is a UFA? More contract incompetence from our list management team. We needed to move heaven and earth to retain this almost premiership hero. He has the speed we need. A dark day imo.
Look, funny story here, I got so drunk before I watched the GF replay last time I accidentally put on our R1 game vs the Dogs.

Much to my surprise, Hunt was playing... I was dismayed that Hunt was actually a Premiership player and felt as though I was in some sort of Mandela effect and I'd forgotten that Hunt was part of the cup. I got to the 2nd quarter before I realised I'd loaded up the same game and was very thankful this potato wasn't carried through and I loaded up the actual game and continued drinking heavily.

Not sure what you were watching, the bloke was a ******* peanut who either got caught out of position in no mans land defending resulting in a cheap goal, gave up some poxy free inside D50 resulting in a cheap goal, hacked it straight to an opposition which came straight back in resulting in a goal or tried to run so far a ruckman could tackle him despite his pace. Wish the bloke well but he isn't going to do much where ever he lands, went backwards as fast as he can run since 2018.
That is everything I just said, but I did not say it as directly imo.

I remember Mike Sheehan talking about how Melbourne should secure Jayden Hunt long term something like that, this was after JJ won the norm Smith in 2016. This is an article that I found on it.
QUOTE from the end of the article

“I think (Jayden) Hunt is a great talent, he’s so much cheaper than the conventional tall who can take a mark and kick a goal.

“I’m talking about blokes who get the footy at half back, and take people on, bounce it two or three times and bang the chaos ball in there.

Jayden Hunt would be my target, because you would get him cheaply and he’s a star.”

I remember Mike Sheehan talking about how Melbourne should secure Jayden Hunt long term something like that, this was after JJ won the norm Smith in 2016. This is an article that I found on it.
QUOTE from the end of the article

“I think (Jayden) Hunt is a great talent, he’s so much cheaper than the conventional tall who can take a mark and kick a goal.

“I’m talking about blokes who get the footy at half back, and take people on, bounce it two or three times and bang the chaos ball in there.

“Jayden Hunt would be my target, because you would get him cheaply and he’s a star.”
To be fair, early days Hunt looked like he could be anything.

Dashing runs through the middle.

Flying high and taking marks in the backline.

Then I think came the realisation that he was a pretty consistent ball butcher, and he couldn’t actually defend.

To be fair, early days Hunt looked like he could be anything.

Dashing runs through the middle.

Flying high and taking marks in the backline.

Then I think came the realisation that he was a pretty consistent ball butcher, and he couldn’t actually defend.
My memory was that hawthorn game in 2016 kicked a ripper goal, was very exciting. It's weird he got that concussion and just didn't seem the same player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back