Player Watch #29: Shai Bolton - What an absolute jet!

Remove this Banner Ad

This article could almost be describing Shai Bolton. These guys don't play in a vacuum and should be picked according to the team's best advantage, so with quality tall targets to feed off, Bolton may be our man. Bolton, like Ryan, has all the skills he needs ball in hand or given a clear run at a loose ball. He is very small and slight though and has this one limitation in my observation, can jump out of the way at times. Hopefully as he matures and gets stronger, he feels more confident when facing a cavalry charge.
As much as i like his speed, would be great against Swans, his frame to me would not handle the physicality of a tough game/oppo and why i would for now pick Georgie over him for the Swans match.

Dermot Bremerton describing the Eagles Liam Ryan in an article in the Herald Sum:

"But it is their hybrid forward Liam Ryan who has me spellbound and confused. I cannot decide whether I love watching him play or despise it. On one hand, he can take a screamer. Against Collingwood this season he launched on the goal line, tapped the ball back into Darling from a certain rushed behind situation and the play results in a goal.

In the Grand Final he took a fantastic contested mark and delivered the ball to Dom Sheed for the winning goal. On other occasion’s when the ball is on the ground and in dispute, he will deliberately run himself off the line of the footy for fear of contact. He can cower away from laying a heavy tackle. These are issues that the Eagles must rankle with. They obviously believe his football exploits as a craft outweigh his lack of physical effort when the chips are stacked against him.

In last year’s Grand Final, Magpie Brayden Maynard stood under the drop of the ball in the middle of the MCG. Ryan put the crosshairs on him and poleaxed him while Maynard was wide open and completely vulnerable. I applauded both Maynard’s courage and Ryan’s aggressive deed in a Grand Final. But in the third quarter, Ryan was tested with a ball that was over his head but reachable. Running back Ryan was almost as vulnerable as Maynard had been earlier. Except this time when it was Ryan’s time to go, he didn’t. He opted for self preservation over a sacrifice.

If you consistently evade physical contact and you are non-competitive when the contest is in dispute and you are vulnerable, you eventually will lose your place in the team. Still only 22 years of age, he has a lot to learn. His footballing wizardry is wonderful, especially while the team is winning. But the coaching box and selection committee will be tested if the team loses as many as they win."

This article could almost be describing Shai Bolton. These guys don't play in a vacuum and should be picked according to the team's best advantage, so with quality tall targets to feed off, Bolton may be our man. Bolton, like Ryan, has all the skills he needs ball in hand or given a clear run at a loose ball. He is very small and slight though and has this one limitation in my observation, can jump out of the way at times. Hopefully as he matures and gets stronger, he feels more confident when facing a cavalry charge.

Wasnt it rioli who polaxed maynard in the granny?

As much as i like his speed, would be great against Swans, his frame to me would not handle the physicality of a tough game/oppo and why i would for now pick Georgie over him for the Swans match.

I think two of Bolton, Baker, Castagna play and you could mount decent arguments for all three to stay. If they were playing for my life this week i might guess at a priority order of 1 Castagna 2 Bolton 3 Baker, and close my eyes each time Castagna gets a set shot.

I actually think Castagna has a spot in our team over Butler.

Yes Butler is horribly out of form, but he doesn't really do any aspect of the game better than Castagna, and Bolton will have him covered by the time bye rounds roll around (that's my prediction anyway).

Castagna is actually a decent tackler and does a fair bit of bollocking work, where as Butler isn't really strong enough to stick tackles and he rarely runs players down from behind. I find him to be every bit as inaccurate by foot in general play and forward as well, but that's just me.
Good wrap up , I think your right , butler is neater however doesn’t get enough of the pill to exploit that strength , George is very physical , was better last night , the sealer got him a pass mark , couple of blunders before that , some nice dash at times too

The way I look at it is that 9 quality disposals beat 20+ crap ones.......

This guy can really play footy. He just needs the coaching staff to back him in and give him the belief that he belongs. Once he gets that, look out.
9 touches with 7 score involvements

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The thing I enjoyed most about Shai's game last night was the huge strides he has taken in development since his first few games. It seemed he wanted to take mark of the year and be a human highlight reel when he first came into the team, but his awareness, decision making & unselfishness stood out like a beacon last night. Rapt he has taken the team ethos on board

He looks so much more comfortable pushing up through the middle of the ground. His poise and agility are awesome. His best assets are weapons when he can take the game on. He couldn't do that tucked into a pocket.

He looks so much more comfortable pushing up through the middle of the ground. His poise and agility are awesome. His best assets are weapons when he can take the game on. He couldn't do that tucked into a pocket.
Have always said he is a midfielder/winger and not a small forward.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back